PARIETAL GAMES Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Harrison, M. John » PARIETAL GAMES « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MJH
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:53 am:   

Parietal Games, edited by Mark Bould & Michelle Reid, can be ordered from--

http://www.sf-foundation.org/publications/mjohnharrison.html

or, online and more appropriately, given the name of the bookshop, from--

http://www.austgate.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=products_new

The Aust Gate!

Parietal Games contains the majority of my reviews from 1968 to September last year, including beginner pieces from Speculation, all the cowboy stuff from New Worlds, NWQ and the New Manchester Review, pieces done in the 80s for Colin Greenland at Foundation, and the subsequent stuff for the TLS and the Guardian. (The more recent reviews are up at mjohnharrison.com, or at the websites of the papers involved, including TLS, Guardian and the Daily Telegraph.)

This volume also includes essays by Mark Bould, John Clute, Rjurik Davidson, Graham Fraser, Nick Freeman, Rob Latham, the ubiquitous Farah Mendlesohn, and Graham Sleight). Introduction by Liz Hand who is just, basically, far too nice a person.

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   

Thanks for the links. I picked the book up in Glascow but lost it at baggage claim returning to Newark, after one of my typical jaunts 'round the globe. (Fortunately, I finished it on the plane but will certainly want to re-read and refer.)

At the same time got Gary Wolfe's book and Clute's latest. Very weird reading reviews of dozens of books that I never read. Reading these 3 books more or less consecutively reminded me of how distanced I was from mainstream (US) SF after the New Wave. I followed you and Ballard and Aldiss (and Moorcock when he wasn't doing Eternal Champion clone books) wherever you went.

SF Eye (discussed briefly over at Liz' place) partially re-engaged me by introducing me to Iain Banks and Chris Priest. Then Gary Wolfe and Faren Miller got me to start reading the new British writers, so I'm actually reading more SF now than at any time since the mid-60s. Your review of Redemption Ark, contrasting the real science of Reynolds' (no relation) writing to the alleged science of what Clute would call "First SF" stated one reason why that's the case. Clute's review of Light, in 2 of the 3 books, was pure poetry.

Even at the time, Donald Wollheim was just a geek in a bad suit, and if I initially resisted reading Bug Jack Barron it was because Norman Spinrad had pulled a bird I really had the hots for at a world-con in Cleveland. (Twisting the knife, there's a picture of her sitting on his lap in the souveneir book.) Oh well. After I read him, I forgave him.

Parietal Games is great to read and I strongly reccomend it to anyone interested in your work or wanting to read an alternate viewpoint to the "common perspective" of the SF community in the late 60s and early 70s. If, in my case, you were preaching to the preverted, it was still great to read.

Iain Emsley
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:06 am:   

The Aust Gate link has now moved to:
http://www.austgate.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=529

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register