Semana Negra Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Harrison, M. John » Semana Negra « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MJH
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:27 am:   

Anyone else going to this ?

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

I've always wanted to go, I hear it's a blast. I know Paco Ignacio Taibo started it, but does he still run it? Great writer.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the festival's particularly well known in the US. Different story in South America, though.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   

They invited me a while back, but I couldn't make it. Heard it's a lot of fun....

Luis
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:32 pm:   

I wish I could, and it's so close to me. Unfortunately, I'm always tied up with exams around this time. <sigh>

Best,
Luís

MJH
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   

Well it´s a ton of fun so far, and we haven´t even left Madrid. GabrielM, Paco still runs it, yes, and massively energetic he seems to be. Lucius, somebody pointed out that I called you Luis twice on that other thread. It´s the leading edge of Alzheimer´s I guess.

mike bishop
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:35 am:   

Knew about Semana Santa when I was just a kid in Seville, as a service brat living with my dad on the local economy, but Semana Negra is a new one to me. Pardon my ignorance, but what is it, exactly?

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   

It literally translates as "black week" and it's a literary festival in Gijon, Spain, devoted to the "novela negra", which I guess comes from the French "roman noir" and which corresponds in English to "crime fiction" or "noir fiction". My understanding is that over the years the festival has grown to also encompass SF and fantasy and other forms of "popular" fiction.

It was founded by Paco Ignacio Taibo, a Mexican-Spanish writer who was born in Gijon. Taibo is one of the best of the Spanish language crime novelists, the creator of a fabulous series of novels featuring his character Hector Beloascaran Shayne, set in Mexico City. Although in recent years he's expanded and written historical novels, a biography of Che, and (my own personal favorite) a very odd political SF novella featuring masked wrestlers fighting an authoritarian state. It was apparently inspired by Alan Moore's V FOR VENDETTA.

MJH
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:51 am:   

It is Paco's Party and it is great I am having a very good time indeed.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:31 am:   

Hi, Mike...I''ve been called worse than Luis. Glad you're having fun in Espana...

Luis
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:06 pm:   

Mr. Harrison, please send my regards to Portuguese writer Luís Filipe Silva if you meet him, he should be there in Gijón with you. (The bastard . . .)

And congratulations on having Viriconium published in Spain! I found out about it yesterday, although your publisher (who, incidentally, is also named Luis) had told me before of his plans to translate it. Is that the complete cycle? Regardless, it's more than what we have over here, unfortunately.

And as you can see, Lucius, we Luis-es are taking over the world. Let us know if you change your name, we'll save you a piece of the pie.

MJH
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:52 am:   

Hi Lucius. Do tell...

Hi Luis. Yes, the other Luis is going to do all of the Viriconium stuff. In the tradition of Viriconium, he has cut it into his own order, sprinkling the stories between the novels then splitting that into three volumes. If by "over here" you mean the US, and I´ve no reason to believe you mean anything else, then Bantam Spectra are going to do the whole cycle in one volume, next year. (If the Oracle is lurking out there, I believe it will be able to tell you exactly when.) I suspect I met Luis Filipe Silva yesterday evening, on a coach. Unfortunately, the coach was taking us to a party, so my memories after that are dim to nonexistent...

I think Lucius can claim honorary Luisness, and that we should start writing a sub Robert Luis Stevenson tale called "The Four Luis".

I´m going to drink more now.

Rajnar
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

Luis May Alcott? Luis Black? Dom DeLuis? Hints from Heluis? Eluis Queen? This is nothing but trouble, Mike. A sluispery slope indeed!

Luis
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:50 am:   

Sorry, I meant over here in Portugal, where there's nothing by you in print. Anyway, it's great to know that both _The Course of the Heart_ (brilliant cover, by the way) and _Viriconium_ are going to be reprinted in the US.

Best,
Luís

mike bishop
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:58 am:   

Gabriel M, thanks for the explanation. And how long does this party last? Do I have time to renew my passport and crash it? In any event, sounds like a good deal of fun.

The Oracle
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:45 pm:   

Unfortunately, the Oracle does not know when Viriconium will be published in the over here in the U.S. He is looking forward to it, however.

MJH
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:15 am:   

Alas, the party´s over for me. Back in Madrid. It was still going hard when I left, although people were giving one another thoughtful looks. Before I left I had dinner with Bob Reiss, a US thriller writer who used to do investigative journalism. Nice guy.

bill reynolds
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:31 pm:   

People in the US should just order Viriconium from the UK like I did even though I have all the original 1st editions which I will not touch. I needed a copy to re-read and loan out to educate the poor MJH-less masses.
BTW - I am glad to see that Light is being published here. I bought a signed copy at Forbidden Planet in London the day I was there in March 2003. I also joined the anti war demo that shut down the city (and nearly prevented me from getting back to my Heathrow hotel had I not had an excellent knowledge of the underground for an american. (No capital A until there is a regime change.))
Oh. This is the wrong thread. Oh well, I'm too lazy to move it. Anybody love Spanish Horror films? Dia de la Bestia? Tuna Negra? Nadie Conoce a Nadia?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:38 pm:   

Bob Reiss...yeah, I know Bob Reiss. Friend of Bob Shacochis. I met him with Schacochis at the ABA years ago. In Washington DC, and later in NYC. He is a nice guy....

MJH
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:41 am:   

Hi Bill. That was a good demo, no ?

Lucius: a nice guy with an impressive history. Everybody I met at Semana Negra had an impressive history and three European languages. I left feeling happy, but shorter even than usual. For me it repesented precisely the European potential the UK is busily denying itself.

Mike Bishop: If you get the chance, Mike, it's a party. What more can I say ?

bill reynolds
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:08 pm:   

Si senor. Reminded me of the old Vietnam days.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:26 pm:   

Well, Mike, you'd probably feel taller around me, because I only know one European language and that badly.... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register