Hi, Mike... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Harrison, M. John » Hi, Mike... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:51 pm:   

Hey, man! So you're gonna come over here and stir up some trouble, are ya?

God, I hope so!

Welcome...

Lucius

Wexler
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   

He's not gonna show up till you stop yapping on about football.

Minz
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   

Hey, we're _renaissance men_, able to wax rhapsodic about all sorts of topics: Pro football, college football, basketball, hockey and even the "other" football, i.e. soccer. Oh, and occassionally some sciffy stuff slips in.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   

Wexler, .I'm coming over to your topic and talk football, you don't hush up....Just 'cause you don't care for manly violence don't make me no never mnd...i

MJH
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 03:02 am:   

Hi Luis, how's tricks ?

>>So you're gonna come over here and stir up some trouble, are ya?

I expect I'll do my best, although age is mellowing me even as we speak.

Hi Wexler & Minz. What I can't understand about football is where you put the gas in. And it's such a small, grassy track with no interesting corners.

Best

Controversy R Us

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:12 am:   

Hey, Mike...

tricks are good. FInishing novel. Girding up for the quadrennial political circus, which should be particularly nasty this year. Looking forward to going to Honduras in the fall sometime. How's about you...

Lucius

MJH
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 08:04 am:   

I'm ragging about in the insides of a book looking for the liver, which I will rip out & eat if I ever find it. Some reviewing (what's new), just did Alex Garland's The Coma for TLS. Everyone in the UK is writing coma novels at the moment, loss of memory novels, cognitive theory novels. I envy you Honduras. I had a week in Bilbao and along that coast recently, and I'm going back there for Semana Negra, but that's about it for this year. Got to work.

How close is your book to being finished ? I love that part. It's like coke.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

The end is about a week off, maybe a tad more. Not two weeks. And you're right, it's a definite rush. The only trouble is, I have to jump right onto another horse straightaway upon finishing. So that tempers my joy. Also finishing a novella about the Blackpool Tower, something of a minor of obsession...

I hope the coma novel plague is not indicative of some larger cultural passage, but then we must assume it probably is. I'm not sure what the analog to that would be over here -- coma inducing movies, perhaps. Whatever the cause, if we can isolate it, we'll doubtless export it to Iraq, along with prototype Iraqi sitcoms and the pilot for Iraqi Idol.

ellen
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   

Mike, Are you coming to NYC at all?

MJH
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 03:35 am:   

Luis: I don't think I could do that, go straight from one book to the next. My head's not on straight at that point. I guess I'm not professional enough is what it amounts to. But all that energy has to go somewhere, so usually I divert it into short stories. Maybe they should stop concentrating on cognitive theory over here and start working through their Blackpool Tower issues. (The reason for it, I think, is that the UK literary mainstream has just bumped its head against SCIENCE. They're like kiddies with a new toy. Some of them, also, are just kiddies, which means they're retracing Grandmother's Footsteps through the 60s.)

Hi Ellen! How's it going with you ? Much though I'd love to visit, NYC is beyond my budget at the moment, as much in terms of time as money.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

MIke; this hopping from one frog to the next is a matter of dire necessity, and something I hope I never have to do again -- I've been sort of preparing for it, doing some scutwork on the second book, testing out voice and etc in spare time (hah!), and so maybe it won't be as onerous as it seems in advance. Generally I do like you -- short stories...or just diddling around for a while.

The lit mainstream over here seems to do something of the sort occasionally. Right now it's in what strikes me as a major slump. My reading time has been limited the last couple of years, but I haven't read an American mainstream book that picked me up and dragged me away for quite some time. Hopefully I'm missing something, but am not so sure I am...

Glad to hear Jason's bringing out HEART over here. It's US piblication is long overdue.

ellen
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

Hi Mike,
Things good here. Sorry we never got together when I was in London in February.
Things are good here. Two anthos coming out in August.

iotar
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

Not *another* MJH message board!

Ah well, in case anyone was unaware. MJH Central is over here:
http://www.mjohnharrison.com

Watch out for Shranders!

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   

Mike: Glad to see you have a board here. Hope you are well. Hey, did you ever get a hold of the Mutis?

MJH
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:27 am:   

Hi Luis.

>>I haven't read an American mainstream book that picked me up and dragged me away for quite some time

It gives me a frisson of guilt to admit that although I didn't like The Corrections much I've been delighted by the rest of Franzen, especially his essays which are only just available in the UK. I like the fact that however hard you try to make a "readerly" bond with his characters, they reject the attempt. You hate them, you love them briefly, you hate them again, they won't allow you to identify. Just like real folks. Readerly control strategies won't work on them.

Ellen: what are your anthologies ?

Jeff, Hi! I haven't got into Mutis yet, I'm afraid. But he's in the pile. How's things ?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Mike:
Things are good. Was in the UK a little while ago with my family. Went to Eastercon in Blackpool Ė strange days. The town was like Death In Venice, the con was rather haphazard but the people I met there were great. Did what Lucius and I did in France, hung out in the bar and talked to people, which I think was the way to go. Loved London Ė a beautiful city, expensive as hell but great personality and vitality. Our last afternoon, we took the train and a bus out to Avebury. Saw the ancient earthworks and rings of giant stones. The place was empty but for sheep and giant crows in the trees. It was cold and the sun was going down. In the old, moldering church, the bible on the stand was ironically opened to Ecclesiastes.
Just finished a mystery novel set in the early 30ís that deals in part with The Eugenics Record Office in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island. Along with Henry Fordís virulent anti-Semitism, the seeds that would later germinate and blossom into the horrors of Hitlerís death camps. Somehow wasnít surprised when researching to find Bushís grandfather, Prescott, among the ardent supporters of the move toward racial purity.
I believe I read you have a new book of stories coming out soon, and Iím looking forward to that. Been reading anything good lately?

JV
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:57 am:   

Ooh--didn't know about the story collection, Mike. Who is publishing it? When?

JeffV (the other Jeff)

MJH
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:27 am:   

Hi Jeff, what is it about Blackpool ? Are you going to write a story about the Tower too ?

>>Did what Lucius and I did in France, hung out in the bar

Worked for me. I had a great time talking with you guys in Nantes. If I had to choose between Nantes and Blackpool, it would be hard, but I think the food would swing it. Actually, it wouldn't be hard at all.

I think the short story collection you mention is probably just the UK reprint of Jason's Things That Never Happen. (I got about a third of a new collection done, then short stories burned out on me. Always happens. I get bored. I'm so subject to form, if I was a racehorse I'd be shot.) Reading: I enjoyed Ali Smith's collection Free Love.

Avebury! Last time I went there I got asked to leave for climbing on the stones. Ah, youth. You're such a tearaway in your forties.

mike bishop
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   

Received notification this morning from Bantam, I think, of an American publication in trade paperback of your novel Light. Looking forward to that. In any case, welcome a(message)board.

MJH
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

Hi Mike, nice to hear from you. Yep, Light makes its US debut, when is it, I forget, but soon. Feels weird, like a second bite at the cherry. How's things with you ?

Hi JeffV: sorry to disappoint about the stories. I've got a few finished, and a few more in files in various stages of undress, distress and duress, I expect something will eventually come of that. What're you up to ?

JV
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   

Mike:

But I'm sure there will be information on your web site about where some of the new stories will be appearing--what anthologies or magazines?

I've just finished a very long, very odd novel called Shriek: An Afterword. It's a departure for me from what I've done before (influences perhaps banished/assimilated forever). I'm rather fiercely proud of it at the same time I currently hate every line of it, if you know what I mean. I really need to stick it in a drawer for a few months to get some perspective.

I'm very much looking forward to the appearance of Light in the U.S., by the way. I'll be sure to buy the U.S. edition even though I have the U.K. one.

Best,

Jeff

The Oracle
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Light is scheduled to come out August 31 in the U.S.

MJH
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:48 am:   

Ok, yes. What the Oracle said.

JeffV said

>>I'm rather fiercely proud of it at the same time I currently hate every line of it, if you know what I mean. I really need to stick it in a drawer for a few months to get some perspective.

Best feeling in the world, that, especially combined with Lucius's coke moment above. Worth actually doing some work to get.

ellen
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:43 am:   

I've been to Avebury about ten years ago with Rob Holdstock and Lisa Tuttle. Didn't climb trees but did pose with some stones. It was a lot of fun. :-)

Any new stories not yet spoken for Mike? If so, please send me one (snail mail)??

JV
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:59 am:   

Just got the postcard for Light from Bantam--beautiful cover!

JeffV

MarcLaidlaw
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   

Hi, MJH,

We met briefly at a WorldCon in San Francisco years ago, where I doubt I raved sufficiently about how much I love your work. I'm glad to see Light coming out here.

I also don't understand how anyone goes from one book to the next. I envy those who do, but I have enough trouble going from one short story to another.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   

Oh wait, is this the M. John Harrison thread? I thought it was the William Shatner thread. Never mind!

MJH
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

I'll do most things but I won't pretend to be William Shattner. Hi Marc. I remember it. Was that 1993 ? 1994 ?

MarcL
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:42 pm:   

Hm...I'm not above pretending to be Ron Goulart, but I think there's more honor in that.

Anyway, that was my only Worldcon, whichever one was in San Francisco. Highly memorable! I'm in the Seattle area now. Maybe they'll have one here someday.

MJH
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:42 am:   

I have my work cut out pretending to be M John Harrison.

One of the things I remember most about the San Francisco convention was getting tramlined on a hired bike and falling off in front of a taxi. Seattle I was never at.

Ellen: I'm not sure what the position is on short stories--when I can get a moment I'll have a word with Mic Cheetham. Snailmail ? But how deliciously retro.

JeffV: It's nice, isn't it ? Quite tranquil, to contrast the teeth-grinding lunacy of the text.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   

One of the (not too many) books I recurrently stew about not having read is CLIMBERS. And through no fault of my own, damn it! I think the only copy I've even ever seen was at the aforementioned WorldCon in the dealer's room, and I was, how shall I put it, broke.

Are there any plans for its reissuance? Anywhere on Earth where it is currently in print or available in any form?

EDatlow
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   

Sorry, Mike. Just came back and looked at your topic. Yes yes, please (but yes yes snail mail :-))

Surely she'll allow you to do the occasional short story!

EDatlow
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   

Marc,
Check out
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=M.+John+Harrison&imageField .y=0&imageField.x=0&ph=2&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=CLimbers&sts=t

and the book is for sale at some reasonable prices (at least the first one)

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   

A new paperback edition! Excellent!

MJH
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:53 am:   

Sorry Marc & Ellen, I seem to have missed these posts. Climbers is indeed out from Phoenix in a couple months time. Best to snap it up, because I can't see there being a US edition of what's essentially an English provincial novel about depressed people doing dangerous but in no way melodramatic stuff in very unexotic locales.

Ellen: no, what I meant was, I have some short stories with Mic but I'd forgotten which ones we had earmarked for what purpose. One is on its way to you, anyway, by foot, ship and pony. I believe it's been transferred to something called "paper", by a forgotten process.

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:34 pm:   

Hooray! Paper is still good, on occasion :-)

Looking foward to it.

Luis
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:29 pm:   

What is . . . "paper"? Can it run DOOM 3?

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   

Hi Luis. I caught a glimpse of "paper" at a recent hi-tech trade show here in New York. By all appearances it's highly portable, and the exhibitors claimed it doesn't need an energy source to display text. I certainly didn't see one, but that would be so revoutionary there must be some hidden gimmick, like with those perpetual motion machines. (Come to think of it, the guy at one point admitted that you can't read paper in the dark, so maybe it's solar-powered?) I suspect it'll be a fad for a while, and then we'll forget about it, like we did with "shoes".

simon
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:43 am:   

I think the whole paper thing will fold pretty soon.

Ag. Can't believe I just did that.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 07:19 pm:   

Mike,
I don't think I got anything from Mic --does she have my correct mailing address?
I've just emailed her with it.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:28 pm:   

Mike---

If your purpose in carrying on such exchanges here in public is to make other magazine editors envious, you're well on your way to achieving your goal.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register