Interfictions Submission Guidelines Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » Interfictions Submission Guidelines « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   

Sorry that it's taken me a while to post this, but here it is at last! So, send us stories. :-)

GUIDELINES
for
Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing

We invite submissions for an Anthology of Interstitial Fiction, to be published by Small Beer Press under the auspices of the Interstitial Arts Foundation in Spring of 2007.

What We’re Looking For
Interstitial Fiction is all about breaking rules, ignoring boundaries, cross-pollinating the fields of literature. It’s about working between, across, through, and at the edges and borders of literary genres. It falls between the cracks of other movements, terms, and definitions. If you have a story idea that’s impossible to describe in a couple of sentences, it may be interstitial.

We’re looking for stories that engage us and make us think about literature in new ways. Rather than defining “interstitial” for you, we’d like you to show us what genre-bending fiction looks like. Surprise us; make us see that literature holds possibilities we haven’t yet imagined.

Who We’re Looking For
Writers in all genres of fiction (contemporary realism, mystery, historical, fantasy, whatever) who have an idea that challenges generic tropes and expectations. If you’re not sure whether a story is interstitial, send it along anyway.

Practical Matters
Our submission period will be from December 1, 2005 to May 31, 2006. Please send hard copy only to our PO Box with an SASE for our response. If your manuscript is disposable, you may enclose a self-addressed number 8 envelope. You will hear from us after July, 2006.

Overseas submissions are welcome in English translation for first English language publication. Please send disposable manuscripts and include email addresses if you don’t want to deal with Reply Coupons or buying US stamps abroad.

Please follow standard manuscript formatting and submission conventions: ie, double-spaced, with 1” margins, and the name of the story on each page. No simultaneous or multiple submissions. Word count is open, but the ideal range is 4,000-10,000 words. Payment will be 5 cents a word for first English-language print rights, on publication, along with 2 author’s copies.

Delia Sherman, Editor
Theodora Goss, Editor
Interfictions
P.O. Box 15695
Boston, MA 02215

Any questions? Write us at ia-anthology@comcast.net.

des
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

No email submissions, then?
I've haven't got a printer on my computer.
des

Jetse
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   

Well, Des, you could send the story by email to me.

I will then print it out in standard MS format -- Dark Courier -- and send it to Delia and Theodora as a nemonymous submission: that is, the author wishes to remain anonymous, but I -- as the agent -- will take a 15% fee if the story gets accepted...

Seriously: only postal mail submissions?

Des -- the closest person to Mr. Interstitial in the UK -- has always taken email submissions.

Also, as a European submitter to American magazines I *know* -- very well -- the costs of intercontinental mail. This is one of the reasons why I have opened Interzone to email submissions three months of the year.

So, on behalf of those people across the pond: are you willing to consider email submissions for overseas submitters?

As mentioned, several UK publishers (Nemonymous when it was still open, and Interzone (Interzone guidelines) for the third time since some 5 hours ago, are willing to open up for email submissions.

Actually, another interstitial anthology -- Polyphony, which has actually published stories of Theodora Goss -- is also open to email submissions from overseas.

Just to mention that these courtesies happen on both sides of the pond.

Bob Urell
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   

Huh? Polyphony is considered interstitial? So...I'm cracked? One learns something new everyday, eh?

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:18 am:   

Any further thought on email submissions following my post (and Jetse's) above?
des

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   

So sorry not to respond earlier, des!

I have a hard time with email submissions, because it means printing (I can't read on screen--my eyes start crossing after a while, not literally but you know, the story starts not making sense), and that means paying for paper and toner and stuff, and well, that would be OK if someone were paying me, but that's so not the case. So, if I got a lot of email submissions, I don't know what I'd do.

But if anyone has a particular reason why it would be a significant hardship to send a document by mail, let us know (at the email address above). We certainly don't want to make it hard to submit. And we are replying by email to international submissions. So basically, take pity, because we have a lot of submissions coming in and I just can't afford to print a lot of submissions. But if there's a good reason it would be difficult for you to send a manuscript by mail, let us know.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   

I should add, too, that my computer has a tendency to mangle attachments, so I can't guarantee that anything sent by email will (1) open on my computer or (2) look the way you meant it to. I'm not sure why, probably because my equipment is old and dinky. (Poverty and academia. Goes together like a horse and carriage. Which is what we would be driving if it weren't for those wonderful things, parents who are tired of their cars.)

des
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:29 am:   

Thanks, Theodora. I can appreciate all that you say specifically of your circumstances. However, generally, I feel that it will become increasingly difficult for anyone to set themselves up as an editor without the ability to accept email submissions as a matter of routine course.
Otherwise, he or she won't have as wide a choice of stories as possible at their disposal.
des

des
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:37 am:   

If fiction is religion, one could call all fiction characters 'glad ghosts', as they are simply glad to be 'alive' for a while even if their lot is tragic!
des

des
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:41 am:   

Sorry, that last message was accidentally put on the wrong thread!
des (blushing)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   

Des--so sorry, I missed your message when you first posted it! I'm sure you're right. If we're lucky enough to do an Interfictions 2, I think that's something we'll definitely discuss. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration