General Apology Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » General Apology « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long! It's been an incredibly difficult semester. Just now we're all getting over a bad virus that we've all had, in various ways, for the last month. Kendrick was particularly sick and still isn't over it entirely. Thank goodness for friends who brought us soup and crackers, and took care of Ophelia while I tried to get papers back to my students. So, that's where I've been, struggling with all sorts of things, one after the other, wondering if the planets have somehow been out of alignment (or just out to get us) for the last few months.

And I'm so sorry to everyone to whom I owe email! I know I ought to be sent to some infernal region for those who neglect their inboxes. (It's not neglect, just that by the time I finish grading, and planning for the next day's class, and answering all the emails that I absolutely have to answer, such as emails from students, there are only four hours before I have to wake up and start the process all over again.)

We're seriously thinking of moving out of Boston, to somewhere where we can have more time and saner lives. Also where I can spend a significant amount of time writing, because I have so many stories I want to write--so many that it sometimes feels as though my brain is going to explode.

Yes, as is probably evident from this email--this semester, we've been going mildly insane. So, for anyone wondering where I've been, that's where. Mild Insanity (a charming town).

But hopefully, once my grades are in, I'll be able to write, here and elsewhere, and answer all the messages that have gone unanswered. And hopefully next semester will be better . . .

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

No apologies necessary, Dora. I only taught two classes this semester in addition to working part time, and my spare time went down to nil as well.

Glad to hear you're still hanging in there!

Tim Pratt
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

Sorry to hear you're so swamped, Dora. I can certainly relate to the desire to flee the insanity of city life. Heather and I are talking more and more about leaving Oakland for someplace greener and wetter and less hectic. Hope the new year is better for you than the last!

-Tim

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Thanks! :-)

And just to end the year with a bang, I am now (after a trip to the emergency room) without an appendix. Not that I used it frequently or anything, but I'd been attached to it for some time . . .

Greener and wetter and less hectic sound heavenly just now! That's what I'm going to wish everyone for the new year, someplace greener and wetter and wilder and less hectic.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   

I really will respond to everyone soon, I promise. A couple of days before the start of the semester, the department threw another class my way, which is good (it's a great class on the gothic) but also makes my schedule incredibly busy. I feel as though I'm working from the moment I wake up in the morning to the moment I fall asleep at night . . .

And in the meantime, why in the world do I keep getting spam on this board? :-(

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:11 pm:   

The spam is a result of having an "registration free" posting policy.

Night Shade is currently working on a sollution to this. Please bear with us.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   

Thanks, Jeremy! Meanwhile, should we let someone know if we get spam on a particular thread? Or do you want to wait until the problem is fixed, and then go back and delete messages? I have noticed that I'm not the only one, which actually is sort of nice, in a target-of-spam loves company sort of way.

Now, there's this former South American dictator who wants to send me all this money, and I'm wondering if I should accept . . . :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration