Suggest writers for the IAF Anthology! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » Suggest writers for the IAF Anthology! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   

Interfictions is, of course, going to be an open anthology, so anyone can submit. But I wanted to ask this knowledgeable crowd: assuming that some people might not see the call for stories we put out, which writers do you think we should contact to make sure that they receive a copy? In other words, which writers (who write fiction that can be described as interstitial) should we definitely contact to make sure they know about the anthology?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about writers whom I might not have heard of through the usual SF channels, and foreign writers that I might not be aware of.

Any suggestions?

Charles
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 06:02 am:   

Please define what you mean by interstitial?

Between genres?

Thanks.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 02:53 pm:   

I have a couple of suggestions:

Paul Glennon -- he's like Donald Barthelme meets Ray Vukcevich, but he's published as a mainstream author here in Canada.

Hiromi Goto -- she gets some genre recognition (won the Tiptree award for The Kappa Child) but she's also treated as a mainstream writer; her fantastic novel A Chorus of Mushrooms wound up on my Gender & Literature reading lists some years ago at university.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   

Terri Windling and I published a fantasy by her in The Faery Reel.

Danielle Stobie
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

Most of the people I can think of are definately already collected by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling: Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Holly Black, Jeffrey Ford, etc. I only know of a few others and they are mainly on the Prime Books list: Sonya Taafe, Catherynne Valente. I'm afraid I don't know too many new authors. This should be an impetus for me to read more small press zines.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:46 am:   

Oh, another author that comes to mind is Istvan Orkeny, a European writer and playwright. I've only read one of his collections, One Minute Stories, but it certainly contains some work that could qualify as interstitial.

Kenneth J. Harvey is another writer generally regarded as mainstream, but his The Town That Forgot How to Breathe was on sale in the dealer's room at WFC, so he might be one to look at.

John Gould won a major literary award for Kilter: 55 Fictions a few years ago, and he has some slipstream-y pieces in there.

I don't know if any of the above have had stories collected in any of Ellen's anthologies.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Jamie,
Nope--at least not in my half (horror) of YBFH :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration