Reference Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » Reference Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anne
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Hi there, Which Noyes book did you get :The Island Hawk" out of? I need the reference.

Thanks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   

Hi Anne!

Here are the Noyes collections I've listed in the bibliography:

Noyes, Alfred. Collected Poems. 3 vols. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1913.
. Collected Poems in One Volume. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1947.

The answer to your question is a bit complicated (sorry!), so let me describe how I put the anthology together. There are basically two ways to put together an anthology. The best and most scholarly way is to use the last-published version of the poem that was actually edited by the poet during his lifetime. That means looking for the particular edition that was last published while the poet was alive. I couldn't do that--I just didn't have the resources. So I did it another and less scholarly way: I looked at several (ideally, three or so) reliable versions of each poem, and tried to create, from them, what I considered to be the best version. For example, when looking at Poe's poems, I often found punctuation mistakes, but different editions would have different mistakes, so I could often use one to correct another. Noyes' "The Highwayman" was a particular problem, since different editions had significantly different punctuation and formatting (italics, indenting, etc.). Basically, all the poems in Poems of the Fantastic are based on more than one version of that particular poem. This is a long, and probably boring, way to tell you that I can't give you one reference and tell you, that's where I got it.

If you're just looking for a good version of the poem to cite for a paper, you can look at either of the Collected Poems listed above: I believe they both contain the poem. At least one of them should be available through a reasonable university library. I hope you have one available? Sorry, I don't have the page numbers for you.

I don't know if this helps? Feel free to email if you have questions or need more information.

And I would say, for anyone doing serious research: do find either the original collected poems or a scholarly anthology. Poems of the Fantastic is meant to be one of those anthologies that you read for pleasure, without the line numbers and explanatory notes that you find in scholarly anthologies like Norton. I wish I could have done all that, but it would have taken lots of time, and money. And, in addition to not having money, I wanted Poems of the Fantastic to be accessible to everyone with an internet connection, for free.

Sorry for the long explanation, which I know doesn't help you much. Let me know if there's any further information that would be helpful!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration