A spider from Australia has strayed i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » A spider from Australia has strayed into your Web. I am Theodora Biesheuvel, formerly from The Netherlands, poet and story-teller. I admire your web-site tremendously. If only I'd been born thirty years ago instead of 65. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thea Biesheuvel
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:58 am:   

I'd like to hear/see more of your work and how you got started on your wonderful Web-site.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:53 pm:   

Hi Thea!

You got the good nickname! I think Thea is much nicer than Dora, and who wouldn't like to be called "goddess" every day of their lives? :-)

How I got started on my website. I designed it before I went to Clarion, and my husband wrote the code for me, since I didn't know anything about html, or anything more complicated than Worldperfect 5.1 (which I still maintain is the most perfect word processing program ever, the Platonic ideal of word processing programs). I had very little to add visual interest, just a box of black and white photographs, mostly of Hungary, so we used those, and that's why the site is black and white. And I made his life miserable, because I tend to be insanely compulsive about web design, and if something is a quarter of an inch off, I have to fix it, or I can't sleep. The nights we spent, until two in the morning or later! And he didn't know html as well as he thought (he knows much more now), so it was a difficult process. Don't design a website with someone you love, or whom you hope loves you. This, I'm afraid, isn't a very interesting story. Sort of like "well, I added two eggs, and then stirred, and then the flour got all sticky" when someone asks you about the inspiration for a cake.

Once, an editor told me that he looked at my website and decided I must be vain, because there are pictures of me used as illustrations (though usually photoshopped to look not much like me). I thought that was funny (how little he knew of the insecurities of the average woman and how much she hates being photographed, yet another source of misery for my husband, who was the photographer). Those picures were of myself because I didn't have anyone else to photograph. It was either me or four cats, who were much more photogenic than I was, but less likely to do anything other than sit on the sofa.

And it's sort of evolved from there. At the moment the site is woefully out of date. I just haven't had time to update it the way I would like to. But I try to keep at least the News page relatively current. That's where I post where things are coming out, if you're interested in seeing more of my writing, though I haven't yet had a chance to post that I have two stories coming out next year, "Pip and the Fairies" on Strange Horizons and "The Belt" in Flytrap. Also, I'm going to be the featured author for the next edition of Simulacrum. They'll reprint my story "In the Forest of Forgetting" and include an interview with me.

But that's an awful lot about me. You mention that you're a poet and storyteller. What sorts of things do you write? How long did you live in the Netherlands? And why the move to Australia?

Fred Cipriano
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

Killing all human's one brain cell at a time.
http://fred_cipriano.datamachine.net/
Fred Cipriano's Prank Calls and Flash Animations.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration