If you'd like to contact me . . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » If you'd like to contact me . . . « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:02 pm:   

I've had to remove my email address from my website, unfortunately. Too much spam. (I never knew, before The 1940s House, that spam meant something like Specially Processed American Meat. I know I have some of the acronym wrong, but that was the gist.) Even with a filter, it was piling up. And I can't help all the deposed African dictators, or order all the herbal supplements that (well, you fill this one in) . . .

Instead, I've linked to this discussion board. So if anyone would like to contact me, for any reason, please feel free to do so here. (I'm also more likely to answer here in a timely way. I still have unanswered emails from August, she writes with a sigh.)

Nick Gevers
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:29 am:   

Dear Dora,

Nick Gevers here. I've just read "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm", which is--again--spectacular. Do you have any interest in contributing a story to POSTSCRIPTS, the fiction magazine Peter Crowther and I edit? I can be contacted at this address, which is also given in LOCUS.

Thanks,
Nick.

Melissa Mead
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 02:22 pm:   

Speaking of "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm", I just started Polyphony 4, and when I saw your name in there I read that first. That was a good story. Gave me shivers.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:03 pm:   

Many thanks on "Meister Wilhelm"! I was worried about how the story would be received, since it has so many elements of YA, but I recently learned that it will be reprinted in a Year's Best of YA SF and Fantasy, which is very exciting.

Nick, I'd love to hear more, and will email you directly!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:10 pm:   

And I do apologize to all for linking to this discussion board instead of posting an email address. I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to write to me. The problem is that my university doesn't filter spam, and instead advises students to build their own spam filters. Not exactly an effective strategy, and I was starting to get overwhelmed. But this has cut the spam way, way down.

Still, I'm hoping to find a better solution, eventually, so people can contact me either way, here or directly.

philipfoster
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:37 am:   

Hi Theodora, Just a little message to say I love your website and wondered if you do your own photography. Also, did you design your own site? I'm hoping to create one myself to showcase my own photography - which I think you would like - so I'll post a link when (and if!) I manage to create it on my little Mac.

(PS Loved the collection from Small Beer Press).

jilli
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 11:36 am:   

"And I do apologize to all for linking to this discussion board instead of posting an email address. I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to write to me. The problem is that my university doesn't filter spam, and instead advises students to build their own spam filters. Not exactly an effective strategy, and I was starting to get overwhelmed. But this has cut the spam way, way down."

That's because the university is spending all it's money on building a new hockey arena rather than on practical things (like spam filters, or updating Mugar.)

I was wondering, I noticed that you once taught a WR:100 course, are you doing any teaching spring semester?

-jill

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 11:55 am:   

Dora,

At your convenience and if you're interested, I would like to discuss the possibility of publishing your work in Lone Star Stories.

Thanks!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 07:42 pm:   

Thanks, Philip! (I hope I got that right? For all I know, your name could actually be Foster! Or something else entirely . . . :-)). The photographs of me were taken by my husband, Kendrick. Most of the others I took myself. And I did all the photoshopping. (Lots and lots of photoshopping.) The website was designed by me, then initially coded by Kendrick, who actually knows things like html. At this point I do all the updating, since I've learned how. (Yeah, I know: what updating? I'm in the process of putting a cascading style sheet on every page, to standardize the pages and made them easier to update. But with everything else going on, it's really hard to get to the website. Though I do want to update the News and Journal pages this weekend.)

Please do post a link when you've created your site. I want to start a thread for fantasy art of various sorts, but haven't yet had the time . . . And I'm glad you liked the chapbook!

Hi Jill! Yes, and it makes me angry. I was in Mugar recently, and the computers STILL look like they come from the 1970s. I'm hoping a new president (of the university, not the country, though I'm all for that as well), will have better priorities. Universities seem to forget, in their focus on endowments and sports, that their primary purpose is to teach undergraduates. Grrr (that's me grinding my teeth).

I won't be teaching this Spring, because I'll still be at home with my daughter (she turns one in February). But I may try to teach again next Fall, depending on whether she's started nursery school. I have an idea for a class on mystery and detection that I would love to teach, probably at the WR100 level. (I've already taught all the upper-level classes that the department will give me as a graduate student, unfortunately. We only get a limited number, and then it's back to the WR classes again!)

I'm guessing that you're a BU undergraduate? Let me know if I got that right. And what are you studying?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   

Hi Eric! I'll email! :-)

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 08:50 pm:   

Great! I look forward to it, Dora :-)

Nick Gevers
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:48 am:   

Dora, I should add the chapbook is marvellous. I hope a full-length hardcover collection will be forthcoming eventually?--Nick.

jilli
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:28 am:   

hello again,

Your guess would be correct. I am a BU undergrad studying English with an accidental concentration on poetry (I honestly didn't mean to take all poetry classes, it just happened that way) and scrambeling in my last year here to take as many creative writing courses as possible.

Mugar does look as if one just happened to step into the 1970's, even with the new computers. I'd just like to know why they have cages on the upper floors. I realize that there's a point to them, and that they're for research, but everytime I'm there they are all empty and I worry if there are now goblins running amuck and stealing all the books i need for class.

-jill

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   

Eric: My email to you just bounced back, I'm not sure why! (Or why it took so long to bounce . . .) Should I try to send it again? Or do you want to email me?

Nick, thanks so much! I hope so too, about a hardcover edition. Maybe in another year or so? I'm writing slowly now, because life has been so crazy, and then of course I'm going a bit crazy from not writing so much. Do other writers get seriously depressed when they can't (for some reason) write? (That's a question for the general audience, I guess.) I know it's not doing my brain any good.

Jill, I'm shocked to hear that the goblins have gotten out again. Several years ago, the administration told us that the goblin problem had been resolved. They had a task force and everything. But I guess that shows you what can happen in an era of budget cuts. During my M.A. year, there were reports of students falling asleep in the 5th floor carrels. They'd wake up and--no toes. The Dean of Students had to send out a warning: do your research during daylight hours, stay awake, don't bring doughnuts.

So that's why the book of Joyce poems I've been looking for is always checked out.

Eric Marin
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 01:44 am:   

Dora,

I'm sorry that your e-mail bounced. Please resend your e-mail to lonestar@erictmarin.com or to submissions@erictmarin.com. If your e-mail bounces again, I'll be happy to e-mail you.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 02:58 pm:   

Resent! Finally. So, so sorry about the delay. Kendrick brought home a bad cold (not one of those nice ones that let you stay in bed for a day with sniffles). And Pip caught it, and then I caught it, so we've all been sick together. I've learned all about having a sick baby, which is significantly more difficult than having a well baby, which is itself significantly more difficult than anything else I've ever done. Wow.

For example, a baby doesn't know how to blow her nose. (Whoda thought?) So to clear her nose, you can either put saline drops in said nose, which is quite difficult when baby is turning her head from side to side, doing her best to avoid exactly the drops you're trying to introduce, or you can turn on the shower until the bathroom is filled with steam, then sit on the floor with her for a half hour or so. Of course, no baby actually sits still for half an hour, so you have to introduce rubber ducks, and a pond for them to swim in, and hair brushes with which to make noise, and a bowl to float on the pond. Eventually, of course, half of the pond will end up on the bathroom floor. And none of this is any guarantee that the baby will fall asleep at--you check your watch, which has somehow miraculously survived the pond episode--four in the morning.

I should write a story about this.

This board needs a sleepy emoticon!

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 11:14 pm:   

Take heart, Dora. In eighteen years, you can kick her out of the house.

At least, that's what my folks did with me--out of love, of course. Please don't think otherwise. :-)

Jason

Em Tersoff
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 07:17 pm:   

"Do other writers get seriously depressed when they can't (for some reason) write? (That's a question for the general audience, I guess.)"

I get itchy and frustrated when I can't write, particularly when I want to write and the words just won't come out, or when I want to write and don't have time because of papers and tests and homework and music and school and all the other fun things that take up my time. Writing also makes me happy, even when it's not going entirely well, because it's something interesting to think about, so I guess lack of writing equals lack of happiness, to a certain extent.

I use way too many commas when I ought to be asleep. -Em

Melissa Mead
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 03:41 am:   

Is this a general question, or just for Dora? Well, since it's been happening, and it's an interesting question...

Do you mean "Want to write, feel the ideas burning there all waiting to be written, and because of circumstances you can't write them down" or "Sitting at the computer knowing you ought to be writing and writhing in your seat because your brain feels like a lump of cold clay?" For me the answer to both is Yes, but in different ways. ;)

With the first, I get antsy and distracted. It's only a problem when I'm at my day job. with the second, I pound the desk and sing along with my computer. That's a problem anywhere. ;)

The really frustrating one is having the hot ideas with the cold brain.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   

"I use way too many commas when I ought to be asleep."

I think we've got a sleeplessness (or perhaps sleepiness) theme going here!

"Do other writers get seriously depressed when they can't (for some reason) write? (That's a question for the general audience, I guess.)"

I have a strange feeling that I originally asked this question. Did I? I certainly get depressed, when I have ideas but don't have the time to write. (And honestly, I always have ideas. I have a backlog of ideas. I even have a backlog of unfinished manuscripts.) It's a deep, dark, despairing depression, as though life will never be good again. I should clarify that it's not just time I need, but time to concentrate deeply. Time when I'm distracted doesn't help. And that's hard to come by, recently.

If I have the time but the writing just isn't coming, I get frustrated rather than depressed. Though that's not pleasant either.

Em Tersoff
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 04:32 pm:   

"I have a strange feeling that I originally asked this question. Did I?"

Yes, you did. :-) And I meant both kinds of not-being-able-to-write. Some songs have driven me crazy as I listened to them over and over, entranced, knowing that there's a story I want to write and being unable to do so. It also makes midterms and finals interesting, though I've learned not to sit near windows if I want to finish the test with any real efficiency. -Em

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 04:54 am:   

Theodora, just thought I'd mention that you can post your email address online while avoiding almost all the spam that usually results. Just use this. I'm sure it's not 100%, but I used it for a few months to mask my email address on my moderately trafficked (now-defunct) blog, and I barely got any spam in that time.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 10:54 pm:   

Thanks Nicholas! I still get deposed African dictators, but the "Girls, Girls, Girls" emails seem to have stopped, thank goodness. I get at least twenty legitimate emails a day (which is why I'm so terribly behind), so anything that fools the spammers is helpful! (It's no fun looking for the real stuff in all the spam.)

Luke
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   

Hey Dora, I know your busy with Ophelia and the disertation, but I'd just like to say hi. Also to ask if though you took your email off, if you still have the same one. I'd like to send you some of the stuff I've written if you could find time to read it.
We all missed you, Kendrick, and Ophelia at Betty's party. Also I really apprecaite you sending me the magazines and if you could to keep sending them. All the best, Luke

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   

Hi Luke! It's great to hear from you. I'm sorry I've been out of touch. It's been more than just the baby and writing; things have been really complicated recently, and I haven't yet found a good way to cope. I owe both you and your mother emails; I've been feeling very guilty about all the emails I haven't responded to! (I can keep up with the discussion board, though sometimes barely, because the responses are short; emails take much more thought!) But I swear that I'm going to catch up, soon . . .

I do still have the same email address, and you're welcome to send me stuff. It may take me a while to look at it, but I promise to eventually! And I'll definitely send the magazines. I have to check to see that my subscriptions are up to date . . .

Hope you all had fun at Betty's party! And I hope school and writing are going well . . .

Eric Marin
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 08:59 pm:   

Dora, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I picked at random.

I read "Miss Emily Gray" in Alchemy 2 while away for the holidays and enjoyed it very much. Great work!

Greg Wachausen
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:31 pm:   

"I read "Miss Emily Gray" in Alchemy 2"

Speaking of which, do you know when Alchemy 3 will be out?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   

Many thanks! I finished a second Emily Gray story a couple of weeks ago. And I've got a third all thought out. :-)

I don't know about Alchemy 3, but I do know that the magazine is filled. Steve doesn't have a regular schedule; the magazines are published when he has enough stories that he likes. So I think it should be coming out soon . . . I have a story in it called "Letters from Budapest" (but I think I mentioned that).

Danielle Stobie
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   

I wanted to let you know that I had stumbled originally upon your site from a link up at Charles Vess' site. After reading a bit here, I had your chapbook at the top of my Christmas list. I love the chapbook. I know I shall be keeping up with your writing and of course introducing everyone else I know to its loveliness. Now I have to go and reread "A Rose in Twelve Petals" before going off to work.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   

Hi Danielle!

Thank you so much for the kind words, and I'm so glad you liked the chapbook. Isn't Charles' site wonderful? I love his artwork.

:-)!

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   

Hi Dora,

Where do I go for information regarding that open-invitation anthology you told me about at WisCon? I thought I would find said info in the literature you gave me, but unless I am wholly blind, I must have lost it.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Theodora Goss
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:34 pm:   

Hi Jason!

It's the "interstitial" anthology I've mentioned before, and there isn't information on it yet--except here! Delia Sherman and I are editing it, and we've had some delays because we're both so busy. But here's the current schedule: we're planning on opening to submissions sometime in the fall. The submission period will end in spring, probably on May 30th. The anthology will, if all goes right, come out in 2007. At least that's the current plan. All of this will be much clearer in a couple of months--so just watch this space, and I'll let everyone know what's going on. :-)

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   

Roger that. Thanks, Dora. :-)

(That should give me enough time to figure out which of my stories is "interstitial"...)

Mike Allen
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:34 pm:   

Hi, Dora! Sent you a e-message after I finished that long, horrible overnight drive back from ReaderCon and have beem biting my nails awaiting response ever since. If time ever bends enough to free you momentarily from mommying, writing and editing, would you mind alleviating my anxiety?

If even more time ever loops your way, you might enjoy these, typos and all:
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.mythicdelirium&artnum= 150
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.mythicdelirium&artnum= 151
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.mythicdelirium&artnum= 152

Great to have finally met you!

--MikeA

Mike Allen
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

Dora, just FYI, I've sent you a galley proof.

-- MikeA

Mike Allen
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   

Hi, Dora! Contacting you once again; if you could please craft me a 2 to 3 sentence bio, I'd be much obliged. Great to hear from you this weekend.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:23 pm:   

Hi Mike! The bio is on its way to you, and I think you have everything now: introduction, edits, bio, the works.

For anyone wondering what this cryptic series of emails refers to, Mike asked me to write the introduction to his new poetry chapbook, Disturbing Muses, which is coming later this year from Prime. It's interesting and strange and fun to read, and I had a lot of fun writing the introduction. I'll link to it as soon as it comes out.

And thanks for the Readercon reports, Mike! It's one of my favorite cons. It was as fun this year as always, although I have to admit that I experienced it in an exhausted haze. It's been that sort of summer. But the poetry reading was a particular triumph, and I hope it will be repeated next year.

By the way, do you know what the cover's going to look like?

Mike Allen
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   

Hi, Dora! (Sorry, didn't think to look for a message for me here.) I guess that explanation was certainly in order. And yes, I do know what the cover will look like, at least as currently planned: the earliest version (painted 1917) of "The Disturbing Muses." Everything's turned in, so the ball's now (mostly) in Sean's court.

I'm glad you enjoyed the con summaries. This was my first ReaderCon ever, and I had a blast. But oh ... the drive ... As for repeating the poetry reading, well, I'm definitely hoping that happens, and the ReaderCon folks certainly expressed interest at the time. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, that poem I promised you should be in your Inbox. It came out rather experimental, appropriately enough. Let me know what you think, when you get a chance.

Mike Allen
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   

Hi again, Dora! I guess one more (last?) Disturbing Muses communique is warranted, as Sean Wallace took the ball that was in his court and shot a few hoops. The book's now available at both the Prime Books (http://www.primebooks.net/books/book_detail.asp?isbn=0-8095-5604-9) and Wildside Press (http://www.wildsidepress.com/product.asp?itemid=1304) websites, with the promo copy using an excerpt from your Intro. I'm kind of flabbergasted at how nicely the whole thing is turning out so far. :-)

As soon as Sean gets me your copy, I will get it to you.

Hope the new school year's not too brutal.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   

Hi Mike!

So sorry I've been out of touch. I've been going through orientation for the upcoming semester, and at the same time dealing with Ophelia's colds--since she started daycare, they're coming about once a week. And of course I seem to catch them too! August has been exhausting.

The book looks gorgeous! And I'm flattered that Sean used part of the intro on the website. I had a lot of fun writing that intro!

I can't wait to get my copy! :-)

Glenn Yeffeth
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

Dora,

I heard you read at WFC and was very impressed. If you think you might be interested in writing some non-fiction for us, please send me an e-mail.

Here's some more on this: http://www.benbellabooks.com/spcontributors.html

Glenn Yeffeth
Publisher
BenBella Books

Mike Allen
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:49 am:   

Hey, Dora! Thought you'd like to know:

Locus Online is doing a poetry poll:
https://secure.locusmag.com/2006/Issues/2006PoetryPoll.html

I really hope to see some participation in this. Spread the word, if you can.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration