Help! Anyone have the October 2003 <... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » Help! Anyone have the October 2003 <i>Locus</i>? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   

I'm trying to find a review of my story "In the Forest of Forgetting," which appeared in the October 2003 Realms of Fantasy. I think the review was written by Rich Horton and published in the October 2003 Locus? (I hope I'm remembering this correctly . . .)

If anyone still has that issue and could email me the review, I would be most grateful! (So grateful that I would send you a free issue of my chapbook, once it's published. Or maybe you could opt for chocolate, if you're allergic to chapbooks?) And if you could send me a photocopy? Or I could buy your issue? But that might be asking too much. :-)

If you can help me, please get in touch!

(The emoticon looks like it's just seen something shocking, but I'm thinking of it as Damsel in Distress.)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   

Darn. The italics thingies didn't work. I hate it when that happens.

EDatlow
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:21 pm:   

For some reason it doesn't work on "topics" --annoying, isn't it?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:28 pm:   

Yes! (Hi Ellen!)

Like many writers, I have this thing about grammar, punctuation, and formatting. This is formatting. Hate it when formatting goes awry.

Speaking of grammar, I noticed a funny thing during the DNC. John Kerry talked about creating "good-paying jobs." Now, he's the product of an expensive education, and I'm guessing he knows perfectly well that he should be promising people "well-paying jobs." But that sounds too, well, groomed. Correct grammar would remind people about that expensive education. Incorrect grammar makes him sound like an "ordinary" person. (I won't get into how little faith that shows in ordinary people. I'm just making a guess here about his speechwriters' preconceptions.) I thought it was an interesting moment.

(Of course, Kerry's no match for W. in this category. No other politician uses grammer--or the absence thereof--so masterfully.)

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   

So true.
Btw, I'm afraid I don't keep my Locii that long so I don't have the issue you're looking for.

John Potten
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:52 am:   

Hi there

Just in case you're still looking it seems that issue is still available direct -

http://www.locusmag.com/About/BackIssues.html

I just wish I had one so I could send it to you!

Best

John

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:50 am:   

By some odd coincidence, that copy of Locus was sitting in a stack on my desk. I'll email the text of the review.

Rich Horton
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:30 pm:   

Here's what I wrote -- I'm not 100% certain exactly this was published in the magazine, but this is from the file I sent in:

"The October Realms of Fantasy features another strong story from Theodora Goss, "The Forest of Forgetting". This is pure metaphor, about a woman and several fantasy encounters, all, it becomes clear, telling a bittersweet story about her real life. "

And this presents me with an opportunity to apologize for getting the title wrong. (I blame the tricks RoF loves to play with title typography!)

It was also in my Recommended Stories list for that month.

--
Rich Horton

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:54 pm:   

Wow. Thank you so much, Richard and Rich, and thanks John for the ordering information! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I'm in the process of sending things, including reviews, to the publisher of the chapbook, who's deciding what to include, and that was the one review I couldn't find. He wants to have it out by Worldcon, so we're working on a tight schedule, which is why I needed it so quickly. But now I have the leisure to order the issue, so I'll have the review itself in my files. I owe you, so if you want a free copy (or chocolate!), just let me know!

Rich, I think the title would have been the last thing I noticed! It's always thrilling to get a good review, and especially a recommendation.

Rich Horton
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   

You're welcome, Theodora.

I'd love to get a copy of the chapbook (with any luck Gavin may have me on a list to send one anyway!).

--
Rich Horton

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   

Rich:

I'm sure Gavin's planning to send you one. But I'll check with him and make sure that one comes your way!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:34 pm:   

Just a quick post to say that anyone who needs a copy of the chapbook for a review should feel free to contact me! And Rich, I hope yours arrived safely.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration