Announcements, of various sorts . . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Goss, Theodora » Announcements, of various sorts . . . « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   

One of those weeks, but I did want to quickly post that I just saw Charles Vess' illustration for the cover of my chapbook, forthcoming from Small Beer Press. It's absolutely stunning.

Eric Marin
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Congratulations, Dora, on your 2004 Rhysling Award! :-)

Richard Parks
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:01 am:   

Love Charles Vess' work. I'm seriously envious.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:27 am:   

Thanks, Eric! I just found out yesterday. Funny thing is, I fantasize about winning awards as much as anyone else, I guess (in a sort of spacey "gee, what would it be like" way), but it never even crossed my mind that "Octavia" might win a Rhysling! I'm thrilled.

Me too, about loving Charles Vess' art! I can't wait to see how it looks on the actual cover. The chapbook should be coming out at Worldcon.

(And while I'm at it, let me just send out a blanket apology, now and forever, to anyone to whom I don't respond in a reasonable length of time.

so much depends
upon

a girl in a pink
romper

covered with apple
sauce

and clutching a stuffed
chipmunk (1)

(1) also covered with apple
sauce

With many apologies to William Carlos Williams.)

John Potten
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:39 am:   

Hi Theodora

I'm a great fan of Charles Vess and he's just sent me his (and Karen's) book Greenwood. He slipped in a photocopy of the Rose and Twelve Petals cover, which sent me scurrying to find out more.

As I tend to find that Charles has great taste I would love to get hold of a copy of the book - will it be available direct from you at some point?

Or maybe from Nightshade?

Thanks

John

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:28 pm:   

I should actually announce, I suppose! :-)

My rather strange poem (of sorts, since it's written as prose but is based on poetic devices), "Octavia is Lost in the Hall of Masks," won a Rhysling Award. You can find information on the Rhysling, and on other winners, here.

My chapbook, "The Rose in Twelve Petals and Other Stories," is forthcoming from Small Beer Press, which has a wonderful chapbook series. It will appear during Worldcon (where I may read from it, or perhaps read something completely new). At Worldcon, it should be available on the Small Beer Press table. Afterward, the best place to find it will be on the Small Beer Press website. But I'll post again once I have more definite information.

John: I'm a great fan of Charles' too! It's still hard to believe that he agreed to do the cover. Whenever I'm at a convention, I try to pick up his prints. He and Omar Rayyan are, I think, my favorite fantasy artists. (I think I'll have to talk about art, too, on the recommendations thread . . .)

John Potten
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

Hi Theodora (or do you prefer Dora?)

Freebies aren't needed (even chocolate!), but if you're interested I could do you a swap.

Some years back I worked on a small book about Charles, including a checklist of his work, which includes a lot of B&W illustrations. If you don't have one, I still have a few and would gladly exchange one for a copy of the chapbook.

Interested?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:08 pm:   

John:

Very interested! Will you be at Worldcon? We could swap then, or I could send you a copy.

Feel free to use Dora! It's the nickname I grew up with. Theodora is for official purposes, like publishing under, and government forms. Though I certainly answer to both.

John Potten
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

Dora

I'm in the UK, so I usually only come over for San Diego Comicon (every few years).

I'll drop you a line off-board so we can exchange address details and I'll get the book in the post to you.

Best wishes

John

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   

Thanks, John! I'm very much looking forward to it. :-)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:28 pm:   

And I should probably announce again, to make this thread feel that it's serving its purpose. I wouldn't want it to feel neglected. It might--start reading Camus and contemplating the meaninglessness and absurdity of its existence.

I just received The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection, which has my story "Lily, With Clouds" in it. As always, it's a beautiful book. And about a month ago I received the Year's Best Fantasy 4 collection, which reprints "Professor Berkowitz Stands on the Threshold."

Expected out soon: "Miss Emily Gray" in Alchemy 2 and "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm" in Polyphony 4.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:02 am:   

Congrats on the reprints and the chapbook, Dora! I saw the announcement for The Rose over at Small Beer Central the other day, and preordered it on the spot. Very much looking forward to it.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:16 am:   

Thanks, Jason! From what I've seen, it really does look beautiful, which I can say without vanity because it's all Charles', Gavin's, and Kelly's doing! :-)

Will you be at Worldcon?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:41 pm:   

Yet again, the aspiring author has arrived at 3 a.m., the bleak hour, without responding to her messages, either here or on email.

But I did want to at least post this: the Small Beer Press page for my chapbook.

And so to sleep, perchance to dream, or more likely to lie awake wondering why I can't sleep. :-(

Melissa Mead
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 06:03 am:   

I just got YBF4, and I enjoyed your story.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   

Small Beer always do a great job on their chapbooks, and your does indeed look beautiful.

Alas, I won't be at WorldCon, due to money issues. I've only been once, to the one in Baltimore, and it was so overwhelming that I haven't been crazy about going back. I like the size and tone of World Fantasy much better, though I won't be going there this year either. I am, however, planning to go to ICFA next year, since I have a paper I'm hoping to present.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:55 pm:   

The cover! (I hope and hope that this is going to work, images being complicated to add around here.)

chapbookcover

Theodora Goss
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:57 pm:   

Hooray! It worked. :-)

Thanks, Melissa! I'm glad you liked it.

Jason, you'll see me at ICFA. I'm almost certain I'll be there this year.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:33 pm:   

^I just ordered the very pretty chapbook. One of the good things about being a latecomer to Gossdom is that most of the stories will be brand new to me :-)

Eric Marin
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

That's a great cover, Dora!

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:13 am:   

I got a copy in the mail a few days ago; it looks great Dora! I can't wait for some time to dig into it!

JK

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:09 pm:   

Got mine a few days ago as well, and am in awe. Yay Dora!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:51 am:   

Thanks, all! Gavin and Kelly did such a beautiful job. I wish a Small Beer Press chapbook on all my writer friends!

I'm mid-Worldcon, so have been shamefully absent from this discussion board. I should be back after Monday, and sleep.

Gossdom! What a wonderful concept. In Gossdom, there are many small lakes, with willow trees on their banks, and swans. And castles, small ones with peaked towers. With cats. And libraries, with bookshelves to the ceiling. And books. In Gossdom, there are many, many books. I want to live in Gossdom.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   

Just found out that I'm doing a reading at Pandemonium Books and Games in Harvard Square on October 16th. There will be three of us, I think, although I don't yet have a final list. But the other writers participating will be fabulous, I promise! More on this as I learn more.

Tell all your friends in Boston!

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:49 pm:   

The Chapbook has arrived here in the icy reaches of the Canadian North, where the rapid advance of sorrow proceeds apace. My friends are all surprised to see me reading something without a spine. I just give them snooty looks like of course I'm reading Theodora Goss.

I might be making you enemies, come to think of it. Perhaps I'll stop.

Greg Wachausen
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   

I thought the chapbook was coming out in October, so I was surprised to find my copy in the mail a few days ago.
Very nice. It makes me impatient for a full-length collection.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   

Robert: No, no. Enemies are a good thing. Didn't Nietzche say that a man was judged by the quality of his enemies? Or something of the sort. (Of course, he said this about men, but I think we can extrapolate. Although the only thing I remember him saying about women is that no woman who felt attractive in a skimpy dress had never caught a cold. Or something like that. I'm so off topic, aren't I?)

I'm glad the chapbooks have arrived! If you (meaning anyone) like it, please spread the word. Chapbooks get so little publicity, and I would like to justify Gavin's and Kelly's faith in this one . . . :-)

Greg: Thanks! I'll have to get writing, I guess? Seriously, there may in fact be a collection, though not for at least another year. I really, actually, do need to write more stories to justify one . . .

(Hey, it does too have a spine! All right, it doesn't literally have a spine. But figuratively . . . Oh, never mind. I'm not going to get anywhere with this, I think!) :-)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   

p.s. It's mostly confirmed: on October 16th, I'll be reading at Pandemonium in Boston with Vandana Singh, a wonderful new writer who's been in several Year's Bests, and the incomparable Greer Gillman. (If you've never heard Greer read, it's a little like hearing Joyce read from Finnegans Wake, but more melodious and without the Irish accent.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   

)

I just noticed my last message was missing a closed parentheses.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:25 am:   

"Supposing truth is a woman -- what then? Are there not grounds for the suspicion that all philosophers, insofar as they were dogmatists, have been very inexpert about women?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche,
Beyond Good & Evil

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:42 am:   

:-) !

"Where neither love nor hatred is in the game, a woman's game is mediocre."

(Poor man never had a chance to see the U.S. women's soccer team in action.)

"When a woman has scholarly inclinations there is usually something wrong with her sexually. Sterility itself disposes one toward a certain masculity of taste; for man is, if I may say so, "the sterile animal."

(Had to include this one, as a scholar!)

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

(Nothing to do with women, but it was below one that did, and I rather liked it.)

--Beyond Good and Evil

But I can't find the one I originally referred to. However, I did find a Nestle's Crunch wrapper in Ecce Homo. This is Kendrick's Basic Writings of Nietzche from college, so it must have been there for some time.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:52 am:   

p.s. Which is to say that I think Nietzsche was fundamentally right--about philosophers being inexpert!

I have to stop writing these messages late at night. The thoughts get all twisted around in my head.

(Bad graduate student joke: "Nietzsche." "Bless you.")

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   

Speaking of men and women, the cover of your chapbook really is rather suggestive now that I look at it again...

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:46 pm:   

Um yes, quite a few people have mentioned that . . . I dunno what Charles was intending of course, but now that I think about it, his imagery seems particularly appropriate for the traditional Sleeping Beauty story. I mean, people who do psychoanalytical criticism of folklore and fairy tales have spoken of the underlying sexual themes of stories like "Sleeping Beauty," "Snow White," "Beauty and the Beast," etc. And Charles is intensely knowledgeable about folklore and fairy tales.

That's a guess, and haven't I done a good job of making it sound all intellectual? :-)

Greg Wachausen
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 11:09 am:   

"his imagery seems particularly appropriate for the traditional Sleeping Beauty story. I mean, people who do psychoanalytical criticism of folklore and fairy tales have spoken of the underlying sexual themes"

And didn't one of the versions of "Sleeping Beauty" have the Prince wake the Princess by sexual intercourse instead of a kiss?
Or was that "Snow White?"

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 06:30 pm:   

Yes, I think that's right. And I think it's "Sleeping Beauty."

Which isn't quite fair to the critics. I mean, how are they going to justify their existence if a writer says what he or she means, instead of wrapping it up nicely in symbolism?

Feed a critic: write obscurely. Imagine how many critics Joyce has saved from starvation on the streets.

(There's no grinning emoticon, is there?)

Melissa Mead
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 07:45 pm:   

I think this is a grin: :D Or ;D, for with a wink.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 08:14 pm:   

Here's the official word from Small Beer Press about the reading:

16 Oct. 3-5 PM -- Theodora Goss will launch her debut chapbook, The Rose in Twelve Petals, with two other readers, Vandana Singh & World Fantasy nominated ("A Crowd of Bone") Greer Gilman, Pandemonium Books & Games, The Garage @ Harvard SQ, 36 JFK St. Cambridge, MA
http://www.lcrw.net/smallbeer/chapbooks/theodoragoss.htm
http://www.lcrw.net/trampoline/index.htm

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 09:49 pm:   

Matt Cheney reviews the chapbook in the current Locus, and Sherwood Smith reviews it online at SF Site:

http://www.sfsite.com/11a/rs187.htm

It's so nice to see such good reviews!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 09:50 pm:   

Also, Charles Vess reports that the cover art won the "Best Black and White Art" category in the WFC art show. Well, naturally. I mean, it is a Charles Vess. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

>>It's so nice to see such good reviews!

How much are you paying them, Dora? :-)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   

Hi Scott! Just the usual. I find that after a couple of pints of blood, reviewers are always much more positive . . . :-)

And another announcement. I'm the featured author in the first anniversary issue of Simulacrum (issue 7):

http://www.specficworld.com/simulacrum.html

The issue has a reprint of "In the Forest of Forgetting," a story of mine originally published in Realms of Fantasy. It also has a long interview in which I talk about the first novel I ever wrote (at fourteen or so) and where fantasy is going as a genre (not that I know . . . ). (And for aspiring writers, it also has a good and funny interview with Carina Gonzales, the Assistant Editor, otherwise known as She Who Reads Your Manuscripts, from Realms of Fantasy).

Melissa Mead
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   

Carina, also AKA one of the nicest editorial folks I've ever dealt with-Neat!

I have to say something about In The Forest Of Forgetting, so let me make it clear first that this is a compliment. ;)

My grandmother died of metastatic breast cancer years ago, and I jumped headlong into that story without realizing what I was getting into. I came out sobbing-and feeling a bit more at peace with the whole business. So thank you.

(Then I said "Ok, who did this?...Whoa. That Lady From Albacon. Oh." ;) )

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:49 pm:   

Melissa:

I'm glad about the peace part. My mother had breast cancer when I was a teenager. She's fine now, but I find that I tend to write about it in various ways. I think I'm still trying to understand it, really.

At this point I tried to write something profound, and failed utterly!

My sympathies . . .

Melissa Mead
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   

You did write something profound. That story. ;)

Thanks. It's been...16 years now (doesn't seem possible) so it's mostly mellowed, although I still remember the song that was on the radio that night. Weird, how the little details stick.

I'm glad your mother got through it ok.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   

Thanks! She was just here visiting her grand-daughter. And me, incidently, since I live in the same apartment. But I don't think I was the main attraction! :-)

I find that writing is the only way to tackle the really hard stuff. It's sort of an addiction and therapy all in one. The only healthy addiction I know. (Though chocolate isn't so bad, really.)

Melissa Mead
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 02:33 pm:   

Yeah, that happens when my neice is visiting. ;)

And writing AND chocolate is ecstacy, if not healthy.

I know what you mean-at least it gets to that point. I'm working on a novel right now, and I've never been this way about writing before. If I'm away from it for a day I start to get twitchy, and I'm putting stuff in it that has me sobbing at my desk-but I'm ENJOYING it. Scary.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:11 pm:   

Finally, I have a Gerard Manley Hopkins page up on the Poems of the Fantastic and Macabre site!

With frames:
http://people.bu.edu/tgoss/anthology/poets/HOPKINS.html

Without:
http://people.bu.edu/tgoss/anthology/poets/HOPKINSnf.html

Fair warning: Three of the poems on the page are early poems, from before Hopkins developed his distinctive style and turned to primarily religious poetry. They're interesting, but not exactly up to the later work. One poem, "Spring and Fall," is from much later, and I think it's one of Hopkins' best. I thought the early ones were worth including because they show both that Hopkins started writing in a more standard tradition of English fantasy poetry, and that even then he had a strange way of using language and imagery.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   

Actually managed to update my journal page!

http://people.bu.edu/tgoss/journal.html

Maybe next time it won't take me more than a month . . .

Tim Pratt
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

I love those Conversations with Pip, Dora -- if you do another collection, you should try to include them.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Thanks, Tim! I'm glad you like them. A friend of mine from Clarion, Beth Long, just asked if she could reprint them in her zine, Turbo-Charged Fortune Cookie (http://www.thebizwizards.com/turbocookie/). So they will indeed see the light of publication.

And I am working on another collection . . . :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration