HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Death, Ignorance and Apathy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » War » Death, Ignorance and Apathy « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

655,000 Iraqi deaths, as a result of the US led invasion and occupation of Iraq.

The number of Iraqi deaths attributed to Saddam Hussein during his 24 year reign is between 50,000 and 100,000,depending on your sources.

In 3 years, the US has, through a direct result of its invasion of Iraq, murdered over half-a-million men, women and children. I would like every so-called-Christian who has supported (in word and/or deed) this war and its political proponents to pray to their god. Pray to your god for forgiveness, because I will never forgive or forget.

There are always evil, shallow, small minded people in positions of power, and they will aways attempt to do evil things. But this Neocon-engineered genocide was made possible something else.

It was made possible by the hateful racism and bigotry that equates every person of Arab descent or Muslim faith with terrorists. It was born of the idea that 3,000 American victims demand the blood of over 300,0000 sand niggers. It was born out of willful ignorance and apathy. These dead are the direct result of the American civilian population that allowed this to happen in their names, with their taxes, and with their silent-or-vocal assent.

Anybody who tries to argue that these figures are inaccurate -- that the number of dead is "only" 50,000, or 100,000, or 250,000 -- Anybody who tries to justify these dead with hollow arguments of "faulty intelligence" or "the world is now safer"... These people are a pestilence... they are monstrous, and their callous disregard for human life and the tragedies that they try to soft sell makes them contemptible. These people are no better then those who would fly planes into buildings. You know who they are. You know who you are.

These dead will ensure a bitter harvest of hatred and animosity towards America for generations to come, and in keeping with how these deaths were manufactured, most Americans will shrug and wonder why the world hates our freedom. Never forget who and what made these deaths possible. When you look at your children, your mother, your wife or lover... Think of them lying dead in the street... dead because of someone else's ignorance and apathy.

Kim Dailey
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:27 am:   

I hate war. It is wasteful of a nation’s treasure, no matter the method of measurement.

The United States of America is a testimony to the world that a democratically elected republic is the best form of self-government devised by mankind. This country is not perfect; it is in the act of perfecting the concept of self- governance. The peaceful transfer of power following an election is unique in a world that is ruled by force.

Like it or not we are considered Number One, the top dog, the one others love to hate. Isolationism is a policy that will not protect our citizens at home and certainly not abroad. It did not work in World Wars I and II, and it will not work today or in the foreseeable future. This country does not exist in a vacuum no matter how you look at it. We need raw materials not found within our own borders to maintain our society and to advance into the future. We trade for those resources with others on the open market. The harsh realty is that our participation in the modern world will, from time to time, cost American lives.

Americans are not, for the most part, bigots or racists who are ignorant of the plight of others. Yes, we use more of the world’s resources per capita than other nations. Those efforts help to feed the world, bring innovation and assistance to others in far flung locations. We help where we are not safe, at our own peril. We open our borders, within the law, to immigration. We are not a closed society, barring entrance to others.

Our very liberties and freedoms make us a vulnerable target for the despots, radicals, and terrorists of the world. We are the living, breathing, antithesis of dictatorships and hereditary rule .These qualities do not make us evil or callous. On the contrary, this very discussion is possible because of the sacrifices of those brave citizens who put ideology before self.

If the ultimate sacrifice is required of me to protect my family and others, sign me up. I will count the cause worthy of my life.

Kim Dailey

Luke Jackson
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   

Kim,

I'm sure those in power are grateful for those who offer their bodies up to be "government issue," to kill and be killed "just following orders" a la Nuremberg. Where else would they get their power to kill and maim from a distance?

Kim Dailey
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   

I wish to thank those who take time to write here and Jeremy Lassen in particular for starting this thread. I offer my apology to Mr. Lassen for not doing so in my first post.

This country deals with dictatorships and regimes that treat human dignities and rights as unnecessary luxuries for their people. I will not argue this fact. It is naïve to think the United States will only do business with countries that hold values similar to those we hold dear. A certain method of bringing these values and freedoms to the world is by military conquest. Our elected leaders have, to date, not taken that path nor would I support such a plan. On this point we are in agreement.

The free exchange of information is guaranteed by these words “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances” found in the First Amendment of our Constitution. We may choose ignore or read and listen to the plight of others, petition for our government to take actions we deem appropriate. Few countries offer their citizens this opportunity.

My family has a varied history of military service. A soldier is not absolved of morality or free from the rule of law during their time of service. Please do not take my word for this, ask a veteran. I did not support conscription in my earlier post. I urge everyone to talk with a World War II veteran to understand what it means to fight a war.

The protection of this country is one of the highest priorities of your government. As citizens, we have a choice in playing a part of this duty. It is one of the greatest freedoms we enjoy living in this republic.

Kim Dailey

Bob Urell
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 09:20 am:   

There’s a great many assertions in your post that I take issue with, Ms. Dailey.
On isolationism:
"It did not work in World Wars I and II"
Even against the noble backdrop of the big one, one mustn’t take received knowledge as rote. Cursory research on Japanese motives for their attack at Pearl Harbor would reveal that we were squeezing their oil supply and trying to gobble up South Pacific real estate long before their leadership came to the conclusion that an attack was advisable. Roosevelt was waging clandestine war against Germany and Japan well before he sold it to the American populace. There was no isolationism in that case.

In the case of WWI, we involved ourselves foolishly. A case can be made that WWII was necessary, but WWI was simple bravado and opportunism. War makes rich men richer and poor men dead.

On immigration:
“We help where we are not safe, at our own peril. We open our borders, within the law, to immigration. We are not a closed society, barring entrance to others.”

You’re kidding, right? “Within the law?” And who makes the law? Have you read the law? How about the granddaddy of immigration legislation, the Chinese Exclusion Acts? What about the first comprehensive immigration legislation, the Immigration Act of 1924, the signing of which was accompanied by Calvin Coolidge’s declaration of openness and fairness for all, “I believe in the inherent superiority of the Nordic race.” I guess you’re half right, at that. We only bar underprivileged brown people.

On terrorists:
“We are the living, breathing, antithesis of dictatorships and hereditary rule”

Yeah, the terrorists hate us for our freedoms. It’s not the past 50 years of propping up evil dictatorships and the perpetual overthrowing of inconvenient democratically elected governments in that region. You’re right, it all comes down to HDTV and Hummers and hummers. That’s why they’re lining up to join insurgencies and guerrilla organizations that kill American soldiers. Because they can’t stand it that we’re free.

I’m sorry if I sound harsh, but I mean to. Your brand of naiveté went out of style when our cowboy president began cutting the Constitution into paper dolls while people like you cheered him on out of cowardice and stupidity. “Those who choose a little temporary safety over essential liberty deserve neither,” said Benjamin Franklin. In the more than two-hundred years of our nation’s history (whose founding fathers were terrorists, no less), we’ve only abrogated the freedoms of our citizenry with so much enthusiasm once before, by my counting: When Roosevelt interred every Japanese-American he could get his hands on. If that’s a proud moment in American history, in your opinion, by all means, keep waving the flag. If not, please do dig a bit into the rhetoric before revisiting it on others.

Kim Dailey
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

Dear Mr. Urell

Thank you for taking the time to write you thoughts on this site.

I have reservations regarding my perceived position on this country. This country is not perfect and I offer the Constitution as an example. Article One; Section Two describes the method of apportioning the members of The House of Representatives: Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. Keep in mind that this document was ratified by nine states in 1788 and reflected some of the thinking of the time. Fortunately changes were made, in the form of Amendments, to resolve these inequities. That is one of the reasons that make this country the best on Earth. I am proud to be an American, with all the mistakes, bigotries and racism present in the history of America.

I wish to return to the topic of international involvement and the military. Every elected official, from a School Board Trustee to the President of the United States, takes an oath of office. This person swears to uphold, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. In Article One, Section Eight you find these words: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; etc. The section goes on to mention an army, navy and state militia. While there have been notable violators of this public trust, the vast majority of officeholders work diligently to perform their duties as well as fulfill this oath. Our Armed Forces, in conjunction with diplomatic and economic policies, are the tools that these representatives of the people use to fulfill the goals stated in the Constitution.

The job of any armed force is to impose the will of government. In this age that means using the threat, or use of, force or supplying humanitarian aid. In any case, citizens serving in the armed forces will be killed or injured. I do not take this cost lightly. The nation was not unified in support of the policies of World War II, nor is it today. As Thomas Jefferson said,” The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”

Kim Dailey

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |