How much are we being told? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » War » How much are we being told? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:03 am:   

This is the most reported war in history. As well as scheduled news items we have 24 hour coverage on Sky channels (I don't subscribe, and I'm glad), the bulk of our newspapers are devoted to it and there are many, many TV specials focussing on specific aspects. And yet from what I see, one can glean the day's developments in half an hour with a good newspaper or news site ... the rest of what we see or read is rehashed facts, put there to keep the public watching or reading (because those commercial breaks keep on rolling, don't they?).

And even then, I have grave doubts about what we're being told.

The beginning of the war brought a slew of reports of accidents, 'friendly fire' deaths and missing in action reports. Now, all we're told is that there's 'heavy fighting' and 'serious resistance'. No figures. No casualty reports. Because, I fear, they don't want us to know.

Perhaps the forces in control are so aware of the tenuous support they have for this unjust war - from the public at home, other countries and even people standing alongside them politically - that they know that releasing true casualty figures will simply go against them. I fear that once this shit is over, we're all in for a terrible shock.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 02:29 am:   

Yes, I have noticed also that the casualty figures are very vague. Those 25 wounded the other day by 'friendly fire' sounded strange - because they also lost 6 vehicles. Surely you would figure out it was your own guys before you destroyed a number of tanks and fighting vehicles?

Brendan

Colin Brush
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

Probably even less than those of us in Britain are being told, judging by the entry from the BBC news website from 12:58, below:

BBC News Online charts the latest developments in the Iraq conflict.

[All times GMT and approximate]

Monday, 31 March

1509: Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf says Iraqi forces have killed 43 coalition "mercenaries" over the weekend.

1341: US-led forces hold about 8,000 Iraqi prisoners of war, UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon tells parliament.

1258: American television channel NBC sacks veteran journalist Peter Arnett for criticising US war plans in an interview with Iraqi state-run television.

It seems you're either with us, or against us (caps are optional for the pronoun).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration