Support troops with books Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » War » Support troops with books « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:00 am:   

I have said it before, and will say it again, It is possible to be against this war, and still support the US soldiers who are forced to fight it. One way to do this is to send them books. Ask anybody who has been in the military... especially deployed in the field... Books are always appreciated, and there are never enough of them.

Here is one organization that sends used paperbacks to troops overseas.

http://oppaperback.virtualave.net/welcome.shtml

There may be others set up in your community.

Its a small thing, but everybody on these message boards knows how important having a book to read is. Being stuck in the middle of Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Kosavo, or the Philippines, or Columbia, on field deployment is bad enough. Itís the little things that help our troops get through the dark times.

-JL

Josh Lukin
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   

We may have to be selective in the books we send. A friend of mine was in the Marines in late 1990, headed for Iraq on a ship in the Mediterranean; and his C.O., seeing that he was reading All Quiet on the Western Front, snatched it from him and threw it in the sea, admonishing, "That's subversive literature, boy." I'm not making this up.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:23 am:   

"Itís the little things that help our troops get through the dark times."

In that light, it would also be wise not to send them, say, Finnegans Wake. Brrr.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:01 am:   

I've been meaning to send John Hemry's "Stark's War" and its sequels to a sergeant friend of mine who is sitting on the DMZ in Korea. Though it might make some of his officers nervous, seeing as how it's about enlisted troops taking over from incompetent officers.

Pender
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:24 am:   

As an officer and soldier I can say books are most appreciated. Debra from Wheatland press was kind enough to send me copies of her Polyphany series. It's excellent and I'm enjoying them immensly.

Clyde Howard
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

Pender is cetainly correct about the appreciation troops have for books. Or at least i did, back when I was soldiering in the Vietnam era. Especially when I wa soldiering IN Vietnam.

As far as opposing national policy (as in "The Iraq War" or what have you) while supporting the troops is concerned, the troops aren't likely to be all that believing of or enthusiastic about "I love you but hate what you are doing" messages. Or at least that's my own take from long ago - and what I hear from the young studs who are doing it now. They don't really seem to much enjoy hearing that folks claim to support them but are against having them there - among other things, it encourages the bad guys into thinking they'll win the same way the North Vietnamese did - in the court of public opinion, resulting in a failure of political will back home that will result in a pull out and abandonment of the theater to whoever can come out on top. And that is apt to render most of the sacrifice our troops have made going for nothing. Just my thoughts.

Lisa Goldstein
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   

Jeremy -- I tried your link but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Is there anywhere else you can recommend?

CharleneKeel
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   

Free Book to Military Guys & Gals
I'll send a free ebook to any soldier who wants one. All you courageous, dedicated guys and gals have to do is visit my site at www.tantalizingtales.com, read the blurbs and excerpts and decide which book you'd like. Then, simply send an email to ckeel@tantalizingtales.com with Military Free Book in the subject line and tell me which book to send you and where you're based. We at TantalizingTales.com appreciate your dedication and sacrifice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration