Nepalese conflict(and a bit on Tianan... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » War » Nepalese conflict(and a bit on Tiananmen) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas R
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:28 am:   

NepalNet

That lists some things on it as it seems someone was curious.

Not Nepal, but June 4 is the 15th anniversary of Tiananmen, so here's the Tiananmen Mothers petition

Thank you for your time, Zai Jian.

Bob K.
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:01 am:   

When you mentioned Nepal in an earlier thread, I neglected to mention my sister was currently vacationing there for two months. She hiked extensively in the mountains -- three weeks straight at one stretch over the Thorung La, the world's highest pass at 5416 meters -- with a group that included Dutch and, of course, Germans. She made a point of writing that she encountered no Maoists at all. Her biggest hassles were bus breakdowns and a drivers' strike that lasted for a couple weeks.

Lucius lived in Nepal for quite a while. I'm sure he could talk about it.

Bob

Thomas R
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   

Ahh. Well it's fair sized in area and mountainous, plus the fighting sounds sporadic. I think much of it is centered around the capital.

It's kind of like my brother's wife who is Jamaican of Chinese descent. They spent time down there and loved it, but some of that time there was downright gang war in the capital. It was even on the news and when they'd go down in those period we'd get nervous. However she'd lived there so new to avoid the capital, and elsewhere it was a peaceful if poor place.

Thomas R
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   

Lucius lived in Nepal for quite a while. I'm sure he could talk about it.

I imagine he could, but we aren't really on speaking terms and this thread is a bit too out of left field to garner attention.

June 4 I guess is over in China. They arrested some man for praying at Tiananmen and some people were disappeared. Mostly everyone's reporting how they are just so happy with the new economy no one much cares about freedom. That's probably an exaggeration, but I read Second Invasion from Mars by Strugatski here recently and the idea people could be that way chillingly reminded me of it.

Thomas R
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   

Nepalese conflict in the news

Pax
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 02:59 am:   

Asimov's story and Ian McDonald(It's relevant)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration