Glorious dead query Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » War » Glorious dead query « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

what's going on over there with the US forces coffin photos at the moment? Have the press been gagged (or voluntarily gagged themselves)? The last few days, the issue has been all over the British press (and Spanish, as afar as I can ascertain) but my New York Times e-mail digest doesn't seem to have carried a single article on the subject (or have I just missed it)?

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:40 am:   

This covers the storm about the photos taken by the military that were obtained from the Air Force (not the pentagon) via freedom of information request:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-pictures23apr23,1,1947996.sto ry

Shit really got started when the Seattle times printed a photo taken in Kuwait by a civilian contractor. It got worse when said contractor, and her husband were subsequently fired for violating company policy.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001909527_coffin22m.html

Outside of the LA times and the Seattle Post, there doesn't seem to be much traction in the media on this issue. Not many papers have printed the photo's (either from Kuwait, or from the air force base in colorado). If you piss off the pentagon, you loose access to the pentagon. Thus most media outlets in the states seem to be burying this one.

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:59 am:   

What a bullshit issue. Does anyone other than Murphy really think that the administration is blocking these photos out of respect for the family's privacy? "That flag-draped coffin over there -- I recognize it. It's my brother, and he's being disrespected." Have I lost my freakin' mind? How in the hell is this an invasion of privacy?

richard
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:13 am:   

Thanks Jeremy - Jesus, sacked!! Those motherfuckers.

A report in the Guardian over here quoted a mother of one of the dead soldiers as saying that this issue needed to be out in the open - that the images should be seen and understood. Makes the Pentagon response look exactly as sick and venal as it is.

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

Big media company tells 7 of its affiliates not to run tonight's Nightline, as anchor will be reading list of dead soldier's names. Media company reaches 24% of American households, and top execs have contributed to Bush/Cheney campaign.
Check it out at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/29/ABC.NIGHTLINE/INDEX.HTML

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

Sorry. That link doesn't seem to work. Go To cnn's entertainment page to find it!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration