HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

General Publishing news/talk/questions

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » General Publishing news/talk/questions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:13 am:   

I thought I'd start a new thread because I couldn't figure where else to post about the AMS bankruptcy, which is affecting a lot of publishers, including Thunder's Mouth, publisher of Salon Fantastique.

A fascinating ongoing blog from former employees about the proceedings:

http://radiofreepgw.blogspot.com/

PM
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:46 pm:   

That's not a happy link...it's sad.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 08:23 am:   

No. It sucks. Apparently the owners of the company drive it into the ground.

PM
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:56 am:   

If it's true --- and I'm not saying that it is or it isn't.

But the statements that were made are capable of verification.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the publishing companies weren't doing so well financially. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I wonder if Thunder's Mouth was all that profitable.

Which is a roundabout way of asking irregardless of what the company officers were doing were the books selling?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:49 am:   

That's irrelevant to the issue, I think. The company was a distributor, NOT a publisher. It's their job to distribute titles and pay the publishers.

PM
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:58 am:   

Hopefully more details will arise. If the books aren't selling in sufficient number obviously it impacts the distributor and the publisher, etc...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   

A fascinating and lengthy article about the Judith Regan fiasco has been published by New York Magazine and is online at:
http://nymag.com/news/profiles/26988/index.html

Lars Thorsen
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:09 am:   

Hi Ellen,

Interesting read about the OJ Book and Judith.

btw, are you currently accepting ms. submissions and where and how?

I am new to all of this and noticed that SciFiction Magazine is shuttered, from one of the topics.

Lars

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:34 am:   

Afraid I'm not right now. Should I get a regular gig, trust me, it'll be all over the web :-)

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   

Finally, Tor and Forge books have a new website (thanks Locus for the mention) at:

http://www.tor-forge.com/

Yah! Hope they can keep it maintained.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   

Yes--finally! I've asked them to update my bio and I was told it would be within the next day or so :-)

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   

Yah!

This is I believe the third iteration of their website. It's spent more time in a state of abandonment than [fill in your own response].

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:24 am:   

Well, my stuff hasn't been fixed yet...got to keep checking and hoping.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:15 am:   

My fingers are crossed.

My guess is that if Tor would buy something new from you that they'd have an even greater motivation.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:23 am:   

They've got INFERNO coming out in October from me...

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:03 am:   

Oops! Tor should forget and just go ahead and buy another antho from you :-)

Hopefully, INFERNO will be listed when the time comes...and your bio updated.

At least SALON FANTASTIQUE has made it's way to the Thunders Mouth Press home page.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:53 am:   

I checked today and my bio was updated. However, Jeff Ford and I also discovered that his entire story was "excerpted" on the page for THE DARK, without either of our permission. Aighhhh.

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:03 am:   

And they should put in your picture since obviously there's a placeholder specifically for it.

Will the collective you give permission?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   

I hadn't noticed the picture area --no one's asked me for one :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   

Well I do hope that you and everyone else will start volunteering cause the bios look a bit strange with the Tor/Forge picture in the person's place.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:34 am:   

Jeff's story has been removed, although I'm hoping that we can put something up there in its place. Perhaps an excerpt of a story --or my intro.

They will be putting up a photo of me. I thought I'd sent one to my editor but am now not certain. Will check when I get home.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   

The website says "excerpt removed" which is kind of weird. Yeah so something should go there.

In addition to the excerpt, a TOC would be great. A TOC is always a great idea for an antho.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   

Evidently, Gardner Dozois is no longer editing Asimov's

Eyebrows are raised.

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:35 am:   

Ellen: Just wanted to say that TOR was very good about taking the story down. After they were contacted it came down immediately. There was no ill-intent, just a screw-up.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

PM. You're joking right? He hasn't been editing it for about two years now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:03 am:   

Jeff,
Yes, I know--I'm sorry it happened, though.

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:10 am:   

But he's continued to be listed as a contributing editor for Asimov's

Here's what he posted over on Asimov's board (March 7th)

" Dell Magazines have opted to dispense with my services, as is their perogative, so I will no longer be associated with either the magazine or this website.

I urge you all to continue to support ASIMOV'S, especially in the way that counts the most, with your subscription money. ASIMOV'S is still one of the best SF magazines in the world, and its survival is critically important to the health of the science fiction field as a whole. It deserves your continued support, no matter who is or isn't working for it at any one particular time. ASIMOV'S was here before I took over as editor back in '85, and hopefully it will be around long after I'm gone.

It's been a genuine pleasure associating with all of you on the Forum for all these years, and I hope to run into some of you at a convention or some other function somewhere down the road."

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   

Ah. He was working the Asimov's BB. Hew knew it was a matter of time before they, as he puts it, would dispense with his services.

He was not involved in running the magazine in any way.

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   

I was under the impression that as a contributing editor he was still having some input with the print publication.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   

Nope.

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 04:33 pm:   

Glad someone knows what he's doing :-)

Guess he was "editing" the message board...

Have an enjoyable trip!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:29 pm:   

Thanks. At least it'll be warm.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   

Win two free seats to the Nebulas and two nights stay at the Marriott where they're taking place:
http://sfscope.com/2007/03/win-a-trip-to-the-nebulas.html

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/ScienceFiction/nebula-contest.shtml

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   

For those who haven't heard the bad news, editor Jim Minz was laid off (one of eleven) from Del Rey Books. This really sucks. He was only there a year and was just beginning to make his mark. I wish him will in wherever he winds up next.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 09:43 pm:   

Thanks for posting that news. I hadn't heard. I'm sure Jim will land on his feet---I just hope it doesn't take too long for him to find a new gig.

Any word on who else was laid off? All Del Rey employees specifically, or Ballantine editors in general?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   

Gordon,
Chris Schleup said his assistant was laid off. I also heard that another junior editor was and that some publicity people. Pretty vague info, I know. I'm suprised that word hasn't gotten out sooner. It apparently happened a week ago Monday.

I just heard today that they hired an editor to "focus on women."-whatever that means (the burgeoning paranormal romance field?)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 08:12 pm:   

I'm sad to read this news concerning Jim Minz. Jim took over as my editor at Del Rey once Chris Schluep moved on to another part of Ballantine. Jim didn't go for any of my recent projects, but I found him to be a genuine professional to work with, straightforward, honest, and lacking the evasiveness and general b.s. which seems so pervasive when book editors at large houses deal with their authors. A stand-up guy. I sure hope he lands on his feet, especially since (like me) he has a young family.

What I fail to understand about Del Rey is how they can continually liquidate their editing and publicity staffs every eighteen months or so and expect to continue operating as a successful imprint. Jim came on board with them after the most recent "Christmas Day massacre" at the imprint, at the beginning of 2005. The publishing field isn't that big; people talk, and there are few secrets between the various editors. How can the powers-that-be at Del Rey hope to continue to hire qualified staff if all the experienced editors and publicists know their tenure will only last a year and a half, or less? By the time they've learned the office politics and all the procedures and can adequately work the system, they're out of there. Maybe you have some insight into this, Ellen. I certainly don't.

By the way, was my friend Fleetwood Robbins one of the eleven staffers to be let go?

PM
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:18 pm:   

Haven't seen any posts by Minz in a while.

It's a good question to ask whether the AMS bankruptcy is going to cost Random House jobs.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

Andrew,
Jim's a real sweetheart and has great taste.

To answer your question, there are always up and coming editors who are willing to take a chance at a new, higher paying job with a good title and hopefully more opportunity than where they were. After all, that's what Jim did.

I'm afraid I don't know who the others are. Why don't you email Fleetwood?

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   

From the Clarkesworld website:

A few weeks ago, I announced that Clarkesworld Books would be closing it's doors in the months ahead. We've already stopped stocking new books, so what you see on the website is what's left. Most of the inventory has been marked down and the website will remain in place until enough of it has been sold.

The reason for closing the store was the impending birth of our third child. Unfortunately, that will not come to pass. Shortly before St. Patrick's Day, we lost the baby. If you've emailed or ordered near that date and haven't heard from me by now, that's why. I think I've managed to write back by now, but we're still getting our legs back under us and I may have missed someone. Please write me if you're waiting for a reply more than a day or two.

In the seven years I've been running this business, I never realized how many friends we had made. I can't thank people enough for all the prayers, thoughts, emails, and posts offerring us support at this time. It means a lot to us and I'll never forget it.

The question on some people's minds is "does this change your plans?" The short answer is no. My wife and I may still decide to try again and that would just force me to start the whole process all over again. I just don't have that in me, especially after everything else.

I've also received a few emails from customers concerned that a book they preordered is now listed as out of stock or not at all on the website. Feel free to confirm with me, but we will be receiving copies of all the books that have been preordered by our customers so we can fill those orders. I will not be upset if you have to cancel those orders, but please try to give me some advance warning if you do.

Clarkesworld Magazine will continue. None of the reasons for closing the store apply to the magazine. In fact, the magazine's anthology spurs on the creation of a new small press which will be called Wyrm Publishing. More details when we can talk about it.

Running the store has been a personally rewarding experience. I've met many new friends over the years and never ceased to be amazed by how good some people were to us. Thanks to all of you from all of us.

Sincerely,

Neil Clarke
March 2007

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   

Thanks for posting this notice here, PM. How awful for Neil and his wife.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   

That's terrible. Good luck to them.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 08:47 pm:   

The Horror Writers Association has announced the winners of the 2006 Bram Stoker Awards at its annual Stoker Banquet held Saturday night as part of the World Horror Convention in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Ten new haunted-house statuettes were handed over to the writers responsible for creating superior works of horror last year. This year’s winners are:

Superior Achievement in a Novel
Lisey’s Story by Stephen King (Scribner)

Superior Achievement in a First Novel
Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Pinnacle)

Superior Achievement in Long Fiction
Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge (Cemetery Dance)

Superior Achievement in Short Fiction
“Tested” by Lisa Morton (Cemetery Dance magazine #55)

Superior Achievement in an Anthology
(Tie) Retro Pulp Tales by Joe R. Lansdale (Subterranean); and Mondo Zombie by John Skipp (Cemetery Dance)

Superior Achievement in a Collection
Destinations Unknown by Gary A. Braunbeck (Cemetery Dance)

Superior Achievement in Nonfiction
(Tie) Finals Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die by Michael Largo (Harper); and Gospel of The Living Dead: George Romero’s Visions of Hell on Earth by Kim Paffenroth (Baylor Press)

Superior Achievement in Poetry
Shades Fantastic by Bruce Boston (Gromagon Press)

HWA also presented its annual Lifetime Achievement Award and its Specialty Press Award. The Lifetime Achievement Award went to Thomas Harris. The Specialty Press Award went to PS Publishing of East Yorkshire, England.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 07:46 am:   

Publisher's Weekly did a cover story on sf/f and gathered quotes from various folk at:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6429710.html

Drew Bowling
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:32 am:   

Andrew - I was sad to see Jim go. I've met him a couple times, got to know him better at New York Comic-Con. Chris Schluep is my editor at Del Rey. His assistant, Tim Mak, is no longer with Random. I have no idea why this is happening again (yes, I remember the "Christmas Day Massacre"). But I'm almost positive that Fleetwood is safe. I think he's Schluep's new assistant.

Does anyone know who Del Rey is tapping to replace these talented guys?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:02 pm:   

Dear Drew,

Fleetwood is still with Del Rey. We exchanged some emails a couple of weeks ago, right after I heard about the terminations. I also emailed Jim and wished him and his family the very best of luck. As for your question, I have no idea. The ways of Del Rey-Ballantine are inscrutible to me.

The next time you talk with or email Chris, please let him know I send my best. Our professional relationship ended on a somewhat awkward note, but I've always liked the guy personally, and that hasn't changed. Thanks!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   

As I mentioned upstream, they've hired an editor to acquire "woman's fiction."

Chris is my editor at Del Rey. The Locus article mentioned that he after being with Ballantine for a year, he's now back at Del Rey. I have no idea what that all means.

Drew Bowling
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   

Andrew - Glad to know Fleetwood is staying. He's a cool guy. Next time I talk to Chris, I'll be sure to tell him you said hello. You might be glad to know he recommended your fiction to me. Will read Fat White Vampire Blues when I get a chance.

Ellen - I didn't know about the "woman's fiction" editor. Are you sure Chris is editing for Del Rey full time again? After he moved to Ballantine, he became something of a maverick and started buying for Villard, Random, and Ballantine, while continuing to find titles for Del Rey. He picked me up after he changed imprints.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   

Drew. That's what the new Locus reported, although that doesn't mean it's accurate.

I caught an error in the announcement they made about Subterranean Magazine going fully online with the next issue. It's not. Issue # 7, my guest edited one which should be out in a few months, will still be print.

Drew Bowling
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   

Fair enough, Ellen. Sorry if I missed a post where you mentioned this, but what's the project you're working on with Chris?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   

That's ok. It was posted above March 19th when it happened.

I've edited an original sf/f anthology that will be coming out in spring 2008. (no title yet)
http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/233/7407.html?1171398371

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   

Any new work to announce that so far remains unannounced?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 09:44 pm:   

I don't think so. Did I mention that I'll be editing the 2009 Nebula Awards volume for SFWA?

Terri and I are finishing up our children's fairy tale villain antho and titled it: The Cinderella Game and other villainous Tales. But it won't be out til 2009!

And I mayyyy be doing a few other projects that I can't talk about until they happen. ;-)

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

The 2009 Nebula Awards volume is news (or maybe I missed it).

Hope the young will cling to the fairy tale antho.

May your potential projects become actual books!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 07:38 am:   

Hi, Drew. If Fleetwood is now Chris's assistant (and thus one of your main editorial contacts at Del Rey), you are very fortunate. I worked with Fleetwood on the publicity and events for my second Del Rey book, Bride of the Fat White Vampire, in 2004, when Fleetwood was an assistant publicist, before he became an editor. I found him to be the most diligent and communicative Del Rey/Ballantine employee I ever had the pleasure to work with. He's top-notch. Thanks for passing along my best wishes to Chris.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   

Some time ago I made a comment that St Martin's Press owned Tor.

"In December of 1986, SMP acquired Tor (the leading publisher of Sci-Fi/Fantasy) which is now its own separate company."

http://www.holtzbrinckus.com/about/about_who.asp

I knew I hadn't imagined it...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   

I'm a very happy camper!!! I wonder if Jeff Ford knows yet that he made the final ballot!

Locus Awards Finalists

Voting in this year's Locus Poll and Survey has closed. Here are the finalists in each category. Winners will be announced in June at the Locus Awards Ceremony in Seattle, June 16th, during the Science Fiction Museum's Hall of Fame weekend. Finalists are listed alphabetically by title, then by nominee.

You can purchase tickets in advance to attend the Locus Awards ceremony -- use this form.

Best Science Fiction Novel

Blindsight, Peter Watts (Tor)
Carnival, Elizabeth Bear (Bantam Spectra)
Farthing, Jo Walton (Tor)
Glasshouse, Charles Stross (Orbit; Ace)
Rainbows End, Vernor Vinge (Tor)

Best Fantasy Novel

The Jennifer Morgue, Charles Stross (Golden Gryphon Press; Ace)
The Last Witchfinder, James Morrow (Morrow)
The Privilege of the Sword, Ellen Kushner (Bantam Spectra)
Soldier of Sidon, Gene Wolfe (Tor)
Three Days to Never, Tim Powers (Subterranean Press; Morrow)

Best First Novel

Crystal Rain, Tobias S. Buckell (Tor)
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Gordon Dahlquist (Bantam; Viking UK)
The Green Glass Sea, Ellen Klages (Viking)
The Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch (Gollancz; Bantam Spectra)
Temeraire: His Majesty's Dragon/Throne of Jade/Black Powder, Naomi Novik (Del Rey; Voyager); as Temeraire: In the Service of the King (SFBC)

Best Young Adult Book

The Keys to the Kingdom: Sir Thursday, Garth Nix (Allen & Unwin; The Chicken House)
Magic Lessons, Justine Larbalestier (Penguin/Razorbill)
Spirits That Walk in Shadow, Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Viking)
Voices, Ursula K. Le Guin (Orion Children's; Harcourt)
Wintersmith, Terry Pratchett (Doubleday UK; HarperTempest)

Best Novella

"Botch Town", Jeffrey Ford (The Empire of Ice Cream)
"Lord Weary's Empire", Michael Swanwick (Asimov's 12/06)
"Map of Dreams", M. Rickert (Map of Dreams)
"The Mars Girl", Joe Haldeman (Escape from Earth)
"Missile Gap", Charles Stross (One Million A.D.)

Best Novelette

"I, Row-Boat", Cory Doctorow (Flurb 1, Fall '06)
"The Night Whiskey", Jeffrey Ford (Salon Fantastique)
"Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy)", Geoff Ryman (F&SF 10-11/06)
"The Singularity Needs Women!", Paul Di Filippo (Forbidden Planets [Crowther])
"When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth", Cory Doctorow (Baen's Universe 8/06)

Best Short Story

"How to Talk to Girls at Parties", Neil Gaiman (Fragile Things)
"In the Abyss of Time", Stephen Baxter (Asimov's 8/06)
"Nano Comes to Clifford Falls", Nancy Kress (Asimov's 7/06)
"Sob in the Silence", Gene Wolfe (Strange Birds)
"Tin Marsh", Michael Swanwick (Asimov's 8/06)

Best Magazine

Analog
Asimov's
Interzone
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Strange Horizons

Best Publisher

Baen
Del Rey
Night Shade Books
Subterranean Press
Tor

Best Anthology

One Million A.D., Gardner Dozois, ed. (SFBC)
Salon Fantastique, Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, eds. (Thunder's Mouth Press)
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Nineteenth Annual Collection, Ellen Datlow, Kelly Link & Gavin Grant, eds. (St. Martin's)
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection, Gardner Dozois, ed. (St. Martin's)
Year's Best SF 11, David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer, eds. (Eos)

Best Collection

The Best of Philip José Farmer, Philip José Farmer (Subterranean Press)
The Empire of Ice Cream, Jeffrey Ford (Golden Gryphon Press)
Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman (Morrow; Headline Review)
Galactic North, Alastair Reynolds (Gollancz)
The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories, Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury)

Best Editor

Jim Baen
Ellen Datlow
Gardner Dozois
David G. Hartwell
Gordon Van Gelder

Best Artist

Bob Eggleton
Donato Giancola
John Picacio
Charles Vess
Michael Whelan

Best Non-Fiction

About Writing, Samuel R. Delany (Wesleyan University Press)
Blood & Thunder: The Life & Art of Robert E. Howard, Mark Finn (MonkeyBrain Books)
The Darkening Garden: A Short Lexicon of Horror, John Clute (Payseur & Schmidt)
James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon, Julie Phillips (St. Martin's)
Myths for the Modern Age: Philip José Farmer's Wold Newton Universe, Win Scott Eckert (MonkeyBrain Books)

Best Art Book

Cathy & Arnie Fenner, eds. Spectrum 13: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (Underwood)
Edward Gorey, Amphigorey Again (Harcourt)
John Jude Palencar, Origins (Underwood Books)
John Picacio, Cover Story (MonkeyBrain Books)
Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell, The Fabulous Women of Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell (HarperCollins/Collins Design)

PM
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 09:59 pm:   

Hope everyone wins that I would like to have win.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 09:51 am:   

;-)

PM
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:16 am:   

Well, you're always a winner in my book :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   

Awww. As I say to everyone (and I truly believe it): when you're a nominee for something, you're a winner until the final results and that's pretty good (as far as I'm concerned) because the nomination period could last quite a long time before I lose :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   

I just signed the petition below and I urge you all to, too:

April 23, 2007
For immediate release

Last week, the Los Angeles Times folded its book review section into an opinion section, and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution eliminated its book review position. Not a good week for book criticism, but not a surprising one, either: in the past few years, newspapers from the Chicago Tribune to the Dallas Morning News to the Village Voice have seen book coverage shrink.

The National Book Critics Circle (NBCC) is not taking these developments lying down. This week, in an effort to support book reviews, book editors, book pages, and book culture, the NBCC is launching a Campaign to Save Book Reviews. During the last week in April and throughout the month of May, the NBCC is asking authors and editors, journalists and publishersand in fact anyone interested in literary cultureto speak out on the value of books and book reviewing.

The campaigns launch pad is an effort to save the book review position at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, held until last week by Teresa Wright. Explains NBCC president John Freeman, Teresa has the opportunity to apply for a job within the company, but it's not clear what the fate of the book page will bewhether it'll be reassigned to an existing editor, whether it will go entirely to wire copy, or whether it will be removed altogether. A petition to save Wrights job has already secured nearly a thousand signatures, including those from luminaries as varied as Michael Connelly, Richard Powers, and Ian Rankin. Those interested in signing should go to http://www.petitiononline.com/atl2007/petition.html.

Throughout the campaign, Critical Mass, the NBCCs blog, will feature Q&As, posts by concerned writers, and advice on petitioning the media to assure continued book coverage. Current posts include a lengthy Q&A with David L. Ulin, editor of the Los Angeles Times Book Review. Check out http://bookcriticscircle.blogspot.com/ to join in our efforts and to track developments in this ongoing and important campaign.

The National Book Critics Circle, founded in 1974, is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization consisting of nearly 700 active book reviewers nationwide who are interested in honoring quality writing and communicating with one another about common concerns. It is managed by a 24-member all-volunteer board of directors. For more information, please go to www.bookcritics.org.

For questions, contact Barbara Hoffert, hoffer@reedbusiness.com or 646-746-6806.

PM
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   

I'd like to understand better why this decision was made.

It's my understanding that a number of positions have been eliminated which is usually due to cost cutting measures.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   

Firing editors or diminishing news coverage of books?

I'd say book sections don't attract as much advertising as the owners would like.

PM
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   

There's something perverse about the book section struggling in a newspaper.

steveberman
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   

So, Ellen, did you see this?!?

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomeP age&art_aid=59361

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   

The revival of Omni magazine!?!

I know just the editor :0)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:24 am:   

I just heard about it from Ian Strock. But talk like this happens every few years--I'd certainly love to be involved should it happen. I guess I'll have to figure out how to contact Bob Jr. :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   

I just got an email from a former OMNI boss who currently consults for Discover and knows Bob G, Jr. IF the magazine is revived, it will be a quarterly. But right now (as I suspected) it's just talk.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:14 am:   

Very Bad news:

>>>As part of its integration of the Avalon Publishing Group, the Perseus Books Group has formed six publishing divisions, an action that will result in the elimination of at least 24 positions and the phasing out of the Carroll & Graf and Thunder's Mouth imprints. As many as 21 other employees could lose their jobs if they are not willing to relocate or take on new roles. In addition, Perseus will sell its Counterpoint Press imprint to Charlie Winton (see related story). William Strachan, editor-in-chief of Thunder's Mouth and Carroll & Graf, and C&G senior editor Don Weise are among the editors being let go.>

What this means is that another fiction market bits the dust and that Salon Fantastique published by Thunder's Mouth will be even further down the ladder in terms of attention paid.

As long as it's in print there's nothing we can do but once it's OP we'll retrieve the rights and try to resell the book with a different cover.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

Do you know how long it'll stay in print?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:07 am:   

No idea but I plan to keep my ears open.

PM
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:18 am:   

Hope everyone is paid...

While it's terrible news it's good that decisions are being made so that folk can plan to move their books elsewhere.

Salon Fantastique is now a collectible item and folk will remember its publisher with that certain sort of fondness...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

Everyone was paid before the book was published--as for any royalties...we'll see.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 09:30 am:   

SOLARIS

Presents

AN EVENING WITH CHRIS ROBERSON & GAIL MARTIN
Solaris Books invite you to join us at Perdition on Saturday June 2nd between 6pm – 8.30pm for an evening with popular SF/Fantasy authors Chris Roberson and Gail Z. Martin. Chris will be reading from his exclusive new chapbook Line of Dichotomy (a story from his Celestial Empire sequence and a prologue to his upcoming novel The Dragon’s Nine Sons). Gail will be reading an extract from The Blood King, the follow-up to her bestselling fantasy epic, The Summoner. Chris, Gail and Solaris Consultant Editor George Mann will be available afterwards to answer questions and discuss upcoming projects. Entrance is free and Solaris will be providing appetizers and a cash bar.

Perdition can be found at: 692 10th Avenue (between 48th and 49th Street). Telephone: (212) 852 5600. www.perditionnyc.com.
www.solarisbooks.com

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   

Since my layoff was mentioned on this thread, I thought I'd go ahead and let those folks who weren't at the Nebulas know that I've accepted the position of Senior Editor with Baen Books. While my official start date is July 7th (you Heinlein fans out there know why), I won't be in the Baen NC offices until after we have the new baby and get our house sold here in NJ.

I appreciate all the kind words back in March, and I look forward to raising a glass with each and every one of you when circumstances allow.

Cheers,
jim

PM
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   

Congrads Jim on the job and the soon to be born baby!

I'm content to let the Baen folk have their universe :-)

At any rate, no need to be a stranger!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 08:14 am:   

Hi Jim,
Congratulations again! I'm delighted for you (well, not that you're moving away, dammit!).

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   

Hey, Jim, that is awesome news -- both the new job and the new baby on the way!!! I've been meaning to drop you a private email to ask what your current plans are, yet, procrastinator that I am, I hadn't gotten around to it; but now my question has been answered, and merrily so! Where in North Carolina are the Baen offices located? N.C. is a gorgeous part of the country. Nathan Ballingrud lives in Asheville, which is a fabulous small city. Now that you're moving down South, you'll have to try to make one of Dara's and my favorite annual conventions -- MidSouthCon in Memphis. They've got a continuous track of children's programming, which will come in handy for us both.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:26 am:   

Jim---

You didn't mention that you've got another little one on the way. Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, did any of your employers (past, present, or potential) indicate that giving them your firstborn was part of the contract?

Minz
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 04:13 pm:   

Well, a certain unnamed small press specializing in, shall we say "Dark Fantasy", did try and package that in with my soul while promising me vast riches and all the microbrew I could drink. It was a fair deal, but unfortunately, my soul wasn't returned as part of my severance package. :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:42 pm:   

And thus you were off to Baen? :-)

(no insult intended)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   

Hey, Jim...regarding our bet, now you can afford to buy me a really expensive dnner... :P

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 08:31 am:   

Jim, if you're handing out dinners, I want one, too. (Or I can just eat Lucius's leftovers. . .)

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   

Hey Lucius, I know I should remember this (and can probably check my email if I weren't being lazy), but I just finished ten hours of cleanup thanks to our water heater springing a leak (making the leak from our washing machine from two weeks ago seem very pedestrian), but what was the bet again?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:34 am:   

Breakfast in the Ruins is the expanded version of Barry N. Malzberg's classic of sf criticism Engines of the Night. It's been published by Baen with no fanfare in April and although I haven't yet received my review copy that I just requested, if it's as good as Engines of the Night it should be provocative and entertaining reading. So...go out and order it NOW:
http://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Ruins-Barry-N-Malzberg/dp/1416521178

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:47 am:   

Jim, you bet that I was shorter than you. :-)

Naw, you bet that Randy Moss wouldn't last through November with the Pats...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   

More bad book news--I hope this doesn't affect the SF Book Club.
Bookspan Laying Off 280; Closing Clubs, Madison Park
http://tinyurl.com/2suess

PM
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 05:14 pm:   

Strahan had posted concern about his latest short novels antho not doing well in the SFBC and getting canceled.

It would be just too ironic if the club went under.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   

I don't think the club will go under but I doubt they'll continue to publish original anthologies, whcih is a real shame, as I was hoping to sell something to them and they've helped a lot of writers and editors keep afloat with their editing projects: Gardner Dozois, Jonathan Strahan, Marvin Kaye, and others.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   

I hope that you can sell something to them as well.

It would have been nice if they'd pick up your Year's Best series and Salon, etc...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   

Pm,
That's not what I meant--commissioning anthologies has been what they've been doing from Gardner, Jonathan, et al. That's what I wanted to sell them. A new anthology idea.

They've picked up some of my anthos in the past and they've just picked up The Coyote Road.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:35 pm:   

That's what I meant when I said "I hope that you can sell..." but I should have put the word "Also" in front of "it would have been nice..."

Great news on The Coyote Road!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:05 pm:   

Sorry that I misunderstood :-)

Yes. That means it'll earn out quicker.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:26 pm:   

Andy Wheeler posted a note on his blog stating that *he* wouldn't be laid off, so I assume that means the SFBC is alive and well for now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:37 pm:   

I saw that, John. But he says nothing about their original anthology series. Nor if Ellen Asher is ok.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:35 am:   

Breakfast in the Ruins is definitely a worthwhile read. I'm nearly finished making my way through it. I've read Engines of the Night many times (at least five) throughout the years, at different stages of my SFnal existence (teenaged fanboy, tyro writer, student of George Effinger, journeyman writer, newly published novelist, embittered, middle-aged, washed-up hack :-) , etc.). Each time, I've gotten something new from it. Barry's remembrance of Cornell Woolrich is especially poignant and memorable. The post-1981 essays included in the new book have been very thought-provoking, particularly "A Formal Feeling Comes" and "All Our Words Unspoken." Get the book and see what I mean.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   

I just heard that 1) they will no longer be publishing original books and 2) Ellen Asher has been laid off

PM
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   

Well that's just bad news.

Why do Ellens seem to have so much bad luck?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   

I don't think we do. :-)
I'm doing fine. Ellen Asher will do fine. And all the other Ellens I know are doing mighty fine :-)

steveberman
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 03:31 am:   

The gay bookclub folding really hurts the queer community and gay authors. I have no idea what will happen with the hardcover of Vintage. And I was looking forward to So Fey hc being available. So I'm bummed.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:08 am:   

A marvelous ode to the short story's place in literature, passed on to me by Barbara Roden. In today's INDEPENDENT by Al Kennedy.

You can find the article here: http://tinyurl.com/269su7

PM
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

Good stuff for the most part.

I'm troubled by Fragile Things which was about mediocre. If awards and the fate of the short story rest in his hands then he needs to punch it up.

Congrads on your Locus win, Ellen.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   

Really great article. I'm glad to see a collection of genre fiction on the list, despite it's mediocrity. A.L. Kennedy herself is a great writer. I'm actually reading her book "On Bullfighting" right now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   

Isn't it a great article?

Thanks PM!

Alan frackelton
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   

Yes, very good article - and not one but three collections with genre appeal: The Gaiman (obviously), the Royle (which was looong overdue; hopeefully it won't be so long until the next one) and the Yellin (borderline maybe, but two of the stories did appear in Leviathan Three.

I'll probably go check myself as soon as I post this, but is Richard McKenna's Casey Agonistes even in print? Though I suspect it isn't, in which case shouldn't someone get around to putting out a new edition...?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   

Yes, the Royle is excellent. I took the story "The Churring" for YBFH#20 from the collection.

I'm not sure who controls the rights any more. When I reprinted a few of his stories on SCIFICTION I went through his mother-in-law. Don't know if she's still alive...so someone should do it quickly before it becomes a rights nightmare.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 06:44 pm:   

Good choice with the Royle story. Even though it was the only original in Mortality (I think...), it was a great collection all round because I was only familiar with about half of the stories. That said, I'd've bought it even if there were only one or two I hadn't read. :-)

As for the McKenna, there are plenty of secondhand copies around (Amazon, etc), but a decent reissue would still be a good thing. You never know...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   

It was the only original in the collection. He gets better and better.

Gary Couzens
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   

ge 1966 film of McKenna's novel The Sand Pebbles came out on DVD recently. Did his estate have any rights that would need clearing for that release? If so, I wonder who 20th Century Fox cleared them with?

I've just picked up a copy of Mortality myself - as Alan says, a ridiculously overdue book that really just scratches the surface of Nick's output. Looking forward to reading it, even though about a third of the stories I've read before.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:47 am:   

I don't know if DVD rights would have been separate from film rights but because the movie was made before DVDs existed it seems possible.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 08:43 am:   

The British Fantasy Society is pleased to announce the nominees for the British Fantasy Award 2007

The nominations and the overall winner in each category will be announced at the Sunday banquet of this year’s British Fantasy Convention, Fantasycon 2007. The convention will be held on 21st - 23rd September 2007 at the Britannia Hotel, Nottingham, UK. Details Here

In addition to the categories below, which are by a ballot of the society and Fantasycon memberships, there will be the announcement of the Karl Edward Wagner Special Award (selected by the BFS committee), presented to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the genre, and the Sydney J. Bounds Best Newcomer Award, selected by a panel of judges. This latter is a new category this year.

Alphabetical List of top five nominees in all categories: (Note: Where the list has more than 5 nominations, this is due to voting ties for one or more runner-up places)
Novel: The August Derleth Award

* Chaz Brenchley, BRIDE OF DREAMS, Ace Books
* Mike Carey, THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, Orbit Books
* Mark Chadbourn, JACK OF RAVENS: KINGDOM OF THE SERPENT BOOK 1, Gollancz
* M. John Harrison, NOVA SWING, Gollancz
* Tim Lebbon, DUSK, Spectra
* Scott Lynch, THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA, Gollancz
* Sarah Pinborough, BREEDING GROUND, Leisure Books
* Mark Samuels, THE FACE OF TWILIGHT, PS Publishing
* Conrad Williams, THE UNBLEMISHED, Earthling Publications

Novella

* Eric Brown, THE MEMORY OF JOY, Choices, Pendragon Press
* Simon Clark, SHE LOVES MONSTERS, Necessary Evil Press
* Paul Finch, KID, Choices, Pendragon Press
* Ian McDonald, THE DJINN’S WIFE, Asimov’s Science Fiction, July 2006
* Gary McMahon, ROUGH CUT, Rough Cut, Pendragon Press

Short Fiction

* Marion Arnott, THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY, Extended Play: The Elastic Book of Music, Elastic Press
* Mark Chadbourn, WHISPER LANE, BFS: A Celebration, British Fantasy Society
* Steve Lockley & Paul Lewis, PUCA MUC, Shrouded By Darkness, Telos Publishing
* Sarah Singleton, THE DISAPPEARED, Time Pieces, NewCon Press
* Stephen Volk, 31/10, Dark Corners, Gray Friar Press
* Conrad Williams, THE VETERAN, Postscripts #6, PS Publishing

Collection

* Neil Gaiman, FRAGILE THINGS, Headline
* Joel Lane, THE LOST DISTRICT AND OTHER STORIES, Night Shade Books
* Kim Newman, THE MAN FROM THE DIOGENES CLUB, Monkeybrain
* Mike O’Driscoll, UNBECOMING AND OTHER TALES OF HORROR, Elastic Press
* Neil Williamson, THE EPHEMERA, Elastic Press

Anthology

* Gary Couzens, EXTENDED PLAY: THE ELASTIC BOOK OF MUSIC, Elastic Press
* Ellen Datlow, Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant, THE YEAR’S BEST FANTASY & HORROR: 19TH ANNUAL COLLECTION, St. Martin’s Press
* Alison L. R. Davies, SHROUDED BY DARKNESS: TALES OF TERROR, Telos Publishing
* Stephen Jones, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF BEST NEW HORROR 17, Robinson Publishing
* Christopher Teague, CHOICES, Pendragon Press

Small Press

* Andy Cox, TTA PRESS,
* Peter Crowther, PS PUBLISHING,
* Andrew Hook, ELASTIC PRESS,
* David J. Howe & Stephen James Walker, TELOS PUBLISHING,
* Christopher Teague, PENDRAGON PRESS,

Artist

* Vincent Chong
* Les Edwards
* Dean Harkness
* Edward Miller
* John Picacio

Non-Fiction

* Allen Ashley, THE DAYS OF THE DODO, Dodo Press
* Paul Kane, THE HELLRAISER FILMS AND THEIR LEGACY, Macfarland & Co.
* Mark Morris, CINEMA MACABRE, PS Publishing
* Andy Murray, INTO THE UNKNOWN: THE FANTASTIC LIFE OF NIGEL KNEALE, Headpress
* Julie Phillips, JAMES TIPTREE JR: THE DOUBLE LIFE OF ALICE B. SHELDON, St. Martin’s Press

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   

Smaller presses get squeezed out of Angus & Robertson bookstores in Australia. This is a link to the original letter from A&R to a book publisher and the publisher's response:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/undercover/014948.html

steveberman
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

Just found out that Haworth Press was bought by Taylor & Francis. Haworth had started an imprint of queer speculative fiction. Unsure what will happen but it is a concern to authors like myself and Lee Thomas (we both sold Haworth short story collections).

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:50 am:   

Uh oh. Good luck!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:16 am:   

World Fantasy Awards Nominations

Nominations for this year's World Fantasy Awards, for works published in 2006, have been released. Winners will be announced at this year's World Fantasy Convention, to be held 1-4 November 2007 in Saratoga Springs, New York.

NOVEL
# Lisey's Story, Stephen King (Scribner; Hodder & Stoughton)
# The Privilege of the Sword, Ellen Kushner (Bantam Spectra; Small Beer Press)
# The Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch (Gollancz; Bantam Spectra)
# The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden, Catherynne M. Valente (Bantam Spectra)
# Soldier of Sidon, Gene Wolfe (Tor)

NOVELLA
# "Botch Town", Jeffrey Ford (The Empire of Ice Cream, Golden Gryphon)
# "The Man Who Got Off the Ghost Train", Kim Newman (The Man from the Diogenes Club, MonkeyBrain)
# Dark Harvest, Norman Partridge (Cemetery Dance)
# "Map of Dreams", M. Rickert (Map of Dreams, Golden Gryphon)
# "The Lineaments of Gratified Desire", Ysabeau S. Wilce (F&SF Jul 2006)

SHORT FICTION
# "The Way He Does It", Jeffrey Ford (Electric Velocipede #10, Spr 2006)
# "Journey Into the Kingdom", M. Rickert (F&SF May 2006)
# "A Siege of Cranes", Benjamin Rosenbaum (Twenty Epics, All-Star Stories)
# "Another Word for Map is Faith", Christopher Rowe (F&SF Aug 2006)
# "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy)", Geoff Ryman (F&SF Oct/Nov 2006)

ANTHOLOGY
# Cross Plains Universe: Texans Celebrate Robert E. Howard, Scott A. Cupp & Joe R. Lansdale, eds. (MonkeyBrain and the Fandom Association of Central Texas)
# Salon Fantastique, Ellen Datlow & Terry Windling, eds. (Thunder's Mouth)
# Retro Pulp Tales, Joe R. Lansdale, ed. (Subterranean)
# Twenty Epics, David Moles & Susan Marie Groppi, eds. (All-Star Stories)
# Firebirds Rising, Sharyn November, ed. (Firebird)

COLLECTION
# The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories, Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury)

# The Empire of Ice Cream, Jeffrey Ford (Golden Gryphon)
# American Morons, Glen Hirshberg (Earthling)
# Red Spikes, Margo Lanagan (Allen & Unwin Australia; Knopf)
# Map of Dreams, M. Rickert (Golden Gryphon)

ARTIST
# Jon Foster
# Edward Miller
# John Picacio
# Shaun Tan
# Jill Thompson

SPECIAL AWARD, PROFESSIONAL
# Ellen Asher (For work at SFBC)
# Mark Finn (for Blood & Thunder: The Life of Robert E. Howard, MonkeyBrain)
# Deanna Hoak for copyediting
# Greg Ketter for Dreamhaven
# Leonard S. Marcus, ed. (for The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy, Candlewick)

SPECIAL AWARD, NON-PROFESSIONAL
# Leslie Howle (for her work at Clarion West)
# Leo Grin (for The Cimmerian)
# Susan Marie Groppi (for Strange Horizons)
# John Klima (for Electric Velocipede)
# Gary K. Wolfe (for reviews and criticism in Locus and elsewhere)

PM
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 08:27 am:   

Yah Salon!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:45 am:   

;-)
It's an interesting ballot, I think.

PM
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:18 pm:   

Copyeditors unite!

PM
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   

While you're over in Japan doing whatever it is that you're doing :-) I see that there's now a Hugo website:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/

Yah!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |