HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

More award nominations and best of ye...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » More award nominations and best of year choices « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   

"Panacea" by Jason Stoddard has been nonminated for the Sidewise Award:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/stoddard/index.html

"Invisible" by Steve Rasnic Tem and "There's a Hole in the City" by Richard Bowes (and SCIFICTION itself) have been nominated for the International Horror Guild Award:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/tem/index.html

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/bowes5/index.html

and Elizabeth Bear's "Follow Me Light" and Elizabeth Hand's "Calypso in Berlin" have been chosen for Best New Paranormal Romance anthology edited by Paula Guran.

Laird Barron
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   

Ellen:
Congratulations on the Locus award for editor!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 02:08 pm:   

Hi Laird,
Thanks so much. I'm thrilled!

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 06:28 pm:   

I'll third that. Definitely well deserved!

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

Internal Dialogue:

Best Editor? It's really not fair at all for us mortals to have to compete against Ellen Datlow. Instead, we should set up an altar to her in our closets, sacrifice the occasional mixed drink to her idol, and hope that she stays content. Otherwise, she'll win everything: the World Chess Championship, the Pulitzer Prize, the Nobel Prize (physics and economics) and even Miss Universe until there's nothing left -- nothing! -- for the rest of us.

External Dialogue:

Congratulations!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 07:11 pm:   

thanks Nathan...and Byron--I think :-)
Trust me, I'll never win any chess championship! I'm a really lousy player.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   

The World Fantasy Award nominations have been announced. Congratulations to those of you who have been nominated:
http://www.worldfantasy.org/awards/

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 06:57 pm:   

Thanks for posting the list, Ellen. Interesting ballot. It looks to me like the judges this year skewed a bit towards books and towards stories published as mainstream, not genre.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 08:51 pm:   

Hmm. Yes, a bit more than usual. It looks like two of the six novels were marketed as mainstream, one novella, and one short story. Im always surprised when the judges put sf on the ballot (and that includes my own sf anthologies, that were finalists).

Christopher Roden
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   

Interesting comment, Ellen. What, exactly, from this year's nominations, do you consider SF?

Christopher

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:55 am:   

Off the top of my head I think one could categorize "Commcomm" by George Saunders sf--I was originally thinking of the Cunningham novella from SPECIMEN DAYS but then remembered that section was not the futuristic one. So maybe only one then. I'm not criticizing, just noting.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

Oh yeah, and NOVA SCOTIA has sf in it as well as fantasy and horror.

Christopher Roden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

Cunningham: Yes, the last novella is SF, but 'In the Machine' is a ghost story, as is 'Commcomm".

NOVA SCOTIA certainly has some SF in it, but it seems they judged that that was outweighed by the fantasy and horror.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:54 am:   

It's a tough ballot, to be sure. I couldn't even begin to figure out who will (or should) win. The anthology category certainly is daunting. My gut feeling is Adventure or Nova Scotia but I've guessed wrong in the past, so . . .

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   

At least four of the stories in NOVA SCOTIA were horror and at least one was fantasy (this is from the recs that my co-editors and I gave it). Of course, there could be others that we just didn't like enough to give HMs to.

I have no problem with mixed-genre collections and anthologies being nominated for more than one genre's award.

If "Commcomm" is a ghost story, then I retract what I said. :-)--for this year's nominees.

Sean, I wouldn't even try handicapping, as I'm often wrong.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   

I think collection is a heck of a category to pick this year. It could go any which way, but I think it'll probably be a toss up between 20th Century Ghosts and Magic for Beginners. My feeling, when I took a first glance at the ballot, was that the nominations skewed *ever so slightly* to the dark end of the spectrum (particularly with short fiction), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill pick up the award. That said, the good thing about the ballot is that there aren't really any choices that left me going 'huh?'. Almost any of them would be a worthy winner.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   

I'm actually hoping it'll be a tie between those two collections.

I think I'd agree with you about a few of the categories skewing towards the dark this year, but certainly not in anthology. The only consistently dark antho up there is Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth. Also, the pro and non-pro categories are very much skewed towards fantasy.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   

I'd love to see both collections get up, but I doubt it at little. In terms of 'anthology', I'd personally like to see THE FAIR FOLK win it. I think it's the most consistent of all of the nominees, quality-wise. What will win, though - who knows.

Christopher Roden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:09 pm:   

I just started reading THE FAIR FOLK, and the opening story is a cracker! Gosh, that's what I'd call Tanith Lee delivering Fantasy with attitude. I don't recall whether 'UOUS' made YBFH - it certainly didn't make the Rich Horton-edited FANTASY THE BEST OF THE YEAR - but I imagine it was the length that would have kept it out of both. Magical story. In my book it hits harder than Joe Hill's 'Voluntary Committal', though Joe's was a very, very strong story, too. And Simon Morden's 'Another War' is brilliant. Very, very hard to choose.

What will win? Well, I guess we'll find out come November-time.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   

Kelly and Gavin didn't take it nor give it an HM. They did take Kim Newman's novella from THE FAIR FOLK, and that's quite a good one--and very long.

Christopher Roden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   

It surprises me somewhat that it didn't warrant an HM. It was inventive, original, and - for what I know of fantasy (which is preciously little, I admit) - an 'in your face' treatment. Haven't read Kim's novella yet, but, from the trailer, I'm looking forward to it.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 07:45 am:   

I read Kim's novella while I was visiting him in London. I read it because I love his short work and try to read everything by him and it's usually dark enough for me to "justify" reading it. I never received a copy of the book itself.

I don't know if Kelly and Gavin got a copy of the book or not. I assume so, unless Kim emailed them his novella. I don't recall.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |