HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

What I've enjoyed in 2005

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » What I've enjoyed in 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

I thought I'd start a thread to mention the books/stories/odds and ends that I've really liked in 2005 (taken from my ongoing albatross YBFH reading).

Others are welcome to participate or comment. These are the only novels from 2005 that I finished so far (I've begun Albert Sanchez Pinol's short novel Cold Skin but have only read one third of it so far.

Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll (Tor) follows up from White Apples, and continues to explore life after death as God (a Polar Bear named Bob) and Chaos (in the person of an evil sexual predator names John Flannery) battle over Anjo, the unborn child of Vincent Ettrich and Isabelle Neukor. Dark and imaginative as all of Carroll’s work. (I've a bias here, as I'm his editor).

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (Bloomsbury, UK, continues to grow darker as the teenage Potter outgrows the whininess from the last book and he and his friends fall in love, Professor Dumbledore takes on Harry’s advanced education, and bad things happen to good people.

Bangkok Tattoo by John Burdett (Alfred A. Knopf) is the second dark police procedural to take place in the seedy districts of Bangkok where a devout Buddhist Thai policeman needs to solve the gruesome mutilation murder of a CIA agent. The book was described as “giddy” by the NY Times and it is. Manic, ironic, with entertaining side trips into Thai culture and every day life.

Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel (Henry Holt) is a very British novel about a genuine psychic who has learned to harness her unwelcome and unwanted gift in order to make a living. She takes on a newly divorced woman as her assistant and their relationship becomes increasingly abrasive. The psychic's "spiritual guide" is a drunken vulgar sot who plays nasty tricks on her and her psychic friends. It's leisurely and witty and its matter of fact treatment of what lies beyond the veil is absorbing. Not exactly horror although there are some very dark bits, and lots of ghosts.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:35 am:   

Bangkok Tattoo was great! And a great post 9-11 novel, too.

JeffV

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   

Ordered Bangkok Tattoo from the library. Sounds like what I'm in the mood for.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:54 am:   

Have you read the first one, Marc? If not DO! Bangkok 8.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 01:42 pm:   

No...should I start with that? Okay then.

Bruce
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:40 am:   

Thanks for the tip, Ellen. I picked up 'Bangkok 8' and read it over two days. Just terrific. Some blurbs compare this book with 'Gorky Park', the brilliant thriller by Martin Cruz Smith, and I think that's pretty apt. Next, 'Bangkok Tattoo'.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:48 am:   

Marc,
yes start with Bangkok 8. Glad you liked it Bruce.
Off to Prague castle.

Daryl Gregory
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 06:01 am:   

Just finished Bangkok Tattoo last week, and I loved Bangkok 8 when it came out. Quentin Tarantino talks about "hang-out" movies, where you just want to hang out with the characters, and these Burnett novels are that for me.

Bruce
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 07:37 am:   

Has anyone read John Burdett's previous two novels? Any comments?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |