Reason to be Cheerful Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » Reason to be Cheerful « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Brought my new cel phone, box and all to a Cingular store nearby and told them I couldn't activate it because the phone message system was caught up in a loop. First he told me I'd have to go to the "real" Cingular store several blocks away--the store I went to is a franchise, I guess. But then he put the phone together for me (it was in parts), dialled 611 and told me to sit down and talk to customer service. Disgruntled and cynical, I did and lo and behold a human answered. She told me my phone was automatically activated and I already had an assigned phone # and that it was "somewhere" in/on the phone but they wouldn't have printed it anyplace when mailing the phone system so no one could steal it. Unfortunately, I was never told where exactly I'd find the number (still don't where it might have been hidden). In any case, I automatically started with $10 and 30 days and the system itself sounds pretty easy to use.

It's now charging. Of course, trying to figure out how to set up my voice mail system has so far been a failure and I don't even want to touch the thing until my friend Katherine comes over in a bit and maybe she can help. I don't remember if she has a cel phone but maybe between the two of us we can figure out the crucial aspects.

I'm inside a cool, air-conditioned apt, drinking fresh iced tea, and editing. (taking a break of course by typing here :-) )

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Didn't you read the warning that says, "Do not attempt to activate unless accompanied by a teenager."?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   

I'll have to pick one up to help me figure out how to use the thing.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 03:18 am:   

:-) Cell phones are cooler and cooler, and hard and harder to figure out the cooler they become.

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 08:48 am:   

That's only because they have so many "extra features." Each of the features--and, indeed, the cell phone itself--are probably easy to use individually, but taken as a whole, I suppose they could be intimidating. And really, how many of those features (cell cameras, video games and such) serve a practical purpose? They're really just toys for the user to play with (and to make the cell phone more expensive). As the saying goes: "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

I'm curious why the "reasons" to be miserable is plural, and the "reason" to be cheerful is singular. Do you plan on only having one reason to be cheerful, ever again? If so, you might not want to waste it on a cell phone. Might as well go experience total enlightenment, or a complete personal awakening, or a really good meal.

:-)

Glad something's gone better for you lately, anyway.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   

Oops. It was a typo, Vy and although I can edit posts, I don't think I can edit headings. Imagine the "s." :-)

John Berry is coming over this evening and hopefully he can explain the things I need the most on the phone.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   

The heat wave has broken and it was lovely outside today. I only wish I could have enjoyed it. I went out for breakfast and the post office and then to my po box later in the day. Trying to finish up all my work before leaving for Glasgow next week.

My replacement keyboard arrived, even though according to the tracking on the Dell site it's "in transit to local carrier." I wonder if this is one of the first two supposedly ordered for me for which I was never given a tracking number. Who cares? As long as it's the right keyboard (it looks like it--it's got a usb cord.)
Ah Dell. I will never ever buy anything from them again.

I'm hoping Jim can come over tomorrow to set up the new computer.

MaryRobinette
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   

Cell phones are the only thing about which men brag, "Mine is smaller than yours."

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   

I've not used my phone yet but I have put a few numbers on it. I don't know how to set up voice mail. Every time I try to change something though, I make a call by accident, which isn't good as I've got the pay as you go plan. But heck, I won't be using it in the UK and will only have a week's worth before I have to add minutes to it when I get back.
Maybe I'll bring it to dinner tomorrow to ask my cel phone saavy phones how to set up voice mail.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   

Jim Freund was over all day setting up the Dell 9100 and has just left. I'm keeping the hard drive from the old computer for another month, in case we've not transferred something by mistake. DHL is picking up the huge carton with the old computer and keyboard by 7pm so it'll be out of the kitchen. I'm starting to get my computer life back together.

Of course there are glitches. I have to reset all my passwords for the first time and my address book doesn't seem to work (with email) so Jim will have to come back and fix the latter when I return from Scotland.

PM
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:30 pm:   

The cutthroat pricing is an issue for the computer industry.

Dell has multiple support plans for consumers and corporate customers. On the corporate side it makes all the difference in the world to pay for Dell's Gold technical support because it provides one with an experienced tech.

The new and less experienced employees provide the low end tier of service.

Which is going to greatly increase the probability of a miserable technical support experience.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

Thanks PM. A friend just told me that last night. Next time I'll know.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   

Hopefully your travails will continue to lessen...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   

Thanks. Things are definitely looking up this month.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Looking for a kitten this coming Saturday at Kitty Kind.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:28 am:   

Yay kitten! When you find the right kitten, please post lots of pictures. I live vicariously through other people's kittens, since I will likely never have one.

Melissa Mead
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   

What's Kitty Kind? Is it a rescue thing?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   

Turns out they're only at Petco all day Saturday with the best choice, so that's when I'm going.

Yes, it's a no kill shelter that takes cats from kill shelters and rescues strays, etc. Run through donations.
Here's their website:
http://www.kittykind.org/
My friend's Ellie's ex-boyfriend's kids both work for the one in Union Square's petco.

I'll definitely take lots of photos.:-)

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

Ellen, I recommend you check your PMB today. Oh, and bring your camera, lol.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

Uh oh.... no more kittens please!!!! ;-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   

I'd like to post a photo of what appeared at my PBM but once again, I cannot figure out how to upload the photo. HELPPPPP! the instructions above are useless.

Steve@theblackarts.com
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:53 pm:   

Alas, I know nothing about digital photos... but I do know sweets.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   

I know you do. Thank you, sir :-) I'll figure it out and post. I already ate the bat!

Steve
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 06:02 pm:   

You could Flickr them...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   

That's what I've done.
You can see them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35025258@N00/?saved=1

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

I went home last weekend and got to see my cat Murphy (well my sister's cat, but I figure she's mine too, heh). She's a big fluffy orange-ish tabby. A few months ago she stopped eating and, because I read Melissa and Ellen's posts, I mentioned to my Mom that the vet should check Murphy's liver enzymes. Turned out to be spot on, so she went on medication and looked great when I saw her. So thanks you two! :-)

Melissa Mead
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   

All right! I'm glad she's doing better!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:43 pm:   

Very happy to hear that.

Dinah has found her meow but her other ear is losing its fur. So she may develope into a very talkative cat with bald ears!

She beat up Bella Monday night when I got home from WFC. I've been letting her know this is NOT all right.

I think my housesitter must have fed them every minute of the day as the almost full case of (small) cat food cans were almost gone when I got home. I'm glad they have appetites but I don't want Bella to blow up like a meatloaf. How do I know if she's eating too much? She's just about six months old now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register