Nebula recommendations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » Nebula recommendations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

This is a thread for readers to talk about stories/novelettes/novellas that you've read that you think should get Nebula recommendations. They certainly don't have to be stories that appeared on SCIFICTION or in my anthologies.

A writer/friend just pointed out to me that at least two pieces of fiction I published are close to making the preliminary ballot but that their eligibility is quickly running out. Hence I decided to start this topic.

I'm not comfortable about publicly recommending work I've published because writers might feel my position puts pressure on them,(although I've done so on panels at cons)but I don't see any reason not to encourage a conversation among all of you, if you're interested.

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

Under Nebula rules, a story is eligible for a year from the month of its original publication. To qualify for Nebula consideration (to get on the long list) a story must have 10 recs from SFWA members.

The eligibility of all the stories in The Faery Real ends on July 31. Many if not all, deserve to qualify. Kelly Link's "The Fairy Handbag" already has.

Jeff Ford's excellent, Fountain Award winning, short story "The Annals of Eelin-Ok had seven recs at the last tally and needs three more by the end of July.

It can be read online at: http://speculativeliterature.org/Awards/SLFFountainAward/stories/TheAnnalsOfEeli n-Ok.html

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

As I remarked above, under Nebula rules, a story is eligible for a year from the month of its original publication. To qualify for Nebula consideration (to get on the long list) a story must have 10 recs from SFWA members.

A problem that many excellent stories have is that they get a bunch of recs immediately after their publication but fail to get the necessary 10 and slip out of peoples' immediate memories.

Paul Witcover's novella "The Left Of The Dial" was published at SCIFI.com last September. At last count it had seven recs and needs three more to qualify. It can be read online at:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/witcover/

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

You are a good man, Mr. Bowes.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

Hi Jim

Not really.

Can you (or anyone) think of stories or novels that deserve more attention than they're getting on the Nebula lists?

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

Rick, if you weren't a good man then you'd be listing stories and novels that deserve LESS attention than they're getting on the Nebula lists, wouldn't you?

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:19 am:   

Rick: On the other thread Chris and Chris are talking about M. Rickert's upcoming story on Sci Fiction, but she's got a great story on the Nebula list already, "Cold Fires," that could use a few hits. It's one of the best stories I've read in quite some time (killer writing). Last I looked, which was a while ago, I think you and I voted for it and Barzak and Rowe, but it deserves greater recognition than from just us four knuckleheads.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

Hi Jeff:

Yes on Cold Fires! And I strongly suspect that there are more than four knuckleheads in SFWA (a working majority, in fact).

How long is it eligible? How many recs does it need? (I can't access the Nebs from here).

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:55 am:   

Hi Christopher:

That comes later after I get everyone feeling all nice and benevolent.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   

Yep, "Cold Fires" is brilliant. Other knuckleheads should go and vote for it immediately.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   

"Cold Fires" has 6 recommendations, so only four knuckleheads have to come forth. Right now it has the people you name, Jeff, (except for Mr. Rowe) as well as Andy Duncan, James Stevens-Arce, and Paul Melko.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   

Knucklehead Rowe, you were credited by uber knucklehead Ford with doing a good deal which you, in fact, hadn't done. The only way to get your kharma back in whack is to go to the SFWA site and rec the story.

Paul Melko
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:47 am:   

For those knuckleheads with nothing better to do, I posted a list of all works expiring at the end of July in the sff.private.sfwa.nebulas-recs newsgroup on sff.net. There are several stories on the cusp.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.private.sfwa.nebulas-recs&artnum= 569

Paul

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:25 am:   

Mea culpa! I'll rectify immediately.

By the way, I prefer to be called a bonehead.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:27 am:   

Paul

Thanks very much.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

Knucklehead Rowe

At such time as your rec is official we will consider upgrading your status.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

Thanks Paul. That's your good deed for the month.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

What's the meaning/origin of the word "knucklehead" here? If I may be allowed a glance of the forbidden, that is. :-)

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   

It's a secret SFWA designation. Even that is more than an outsider should ever know.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:20 pm:   

Sweet. I hope to be initiated into SFWA someday. Will I get a black velvet robe (dry-clean only) and a magical quill that writes with my own blood? I'm hoping so.

Laird
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 05:02 pm:   

No robe. You get slippers, smoking jacket and a pipe.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   

And a pleated pink tutu after you qualify for the short list. But pehaps I've said too much.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 03:57 am:   

You certainly have, Bowes. Don't be surprised if you get a midnight visit from the Grand Masters now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:14 am:   

And they'll force you to wear your pink tutu in public!

Laird
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

At a Spielberg screening in the front row between Harlan Ellison & Lucious Shepard...

Laird
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

Or Lucius Shepard, even.

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:52 am:   

Gordon

I'm not afraid of the Grand Masters. Remember when I beat Le Guin two matches out of three at the annual SFWA armwrestling tournament?

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

Ellen and Laird

I went to parochial school for three years and was a soprano soloist in the choir. Compared to that a pink tutu is butch.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:07 am:   

Jacket, slippers, and pipe. And tutu. Hmm.

Can nonsmokers get a bubble pipe instead?

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:16 am:   

I won't trouble you with the original latin but the motto of SFWA translates as, "The truth is in the smoke."

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

As of June 30, Jeff Ford's "The Annals of Eelin-Ok" has 8 recs and needs 2 more in the next 4 days to qualify.

Witcover's "The Left Of The Dial" also now has 8 and needs 2 more before the first of September.

I believe Paul Melko also has a story that needs only two or three votes to qualify.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

Rick, which story of Paul's? Is it the Talebones story, "Ten Sigmas" (I hope!)? Gardner reprinted it in Year's Best, so I was hoping it might have a chance. Time must be running out on that story, too?

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the set-up line.

Yes it is that very "Ten Sigmas first printed in Talebones and later reprinted in YBSF.

I have reason to believe that it needs only two more recs before midnight on Sunday to qualify for the long list.

A very long list this time, I think.

Rick

Paul Melko
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   

Thanks Rick and Patrick. 9 short stories have qualified already for the prelim ballot. I love a busy ballot. I hope the Norton ballot fills up, but so far there are only 10 works nominated, and the most any one work has is 4.

Paul

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   

On the Norton, I think that Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier especially are doing well right out of the gate. Considering that it began on January 1, that nobody is really used to it and that I can't be the only one who's a little vague on the ground rules (Is it only stuff marketed as YA that qualifies - would Carol Emshwiller's The Mount have qualified, for instance?) it seems to be taking hold.

Paul Melko
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

You raise a good question. Could you recommend a work in the Norton category and in the novel (or novella) category at the same time? If a work is good enough to win the Norton, why not the novel Nebula as well?

Paul

rick bowes
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   

As of July 31, Paul Witcover's novella "The Left Of The Dial" had eight recs and needs two more to qualify. It was published at SCIFI.com last September and its eligibility will end a week from tomorrow.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/witcover/

rick bowes
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   

Again, feel free to post other deserving stories or books that are nearing the end of their eligibilty and are still short the ten recs needed to get on the long ballot.

Paul Melko
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

I like David Moles' "The Third Party" which expires at the end of August. It can be found in the latest of Dozois' Year's Best SF collections or the September 2004 Asimov's SF.

Paul

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register