HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Reasons to be miserable

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » Reasons to be miserable « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   

My dell desktop broke down exactly a week ago,the night I got home from London. It just blacked out with no warning. After a day of establishing that it couldn't be fixed via telephine talk through, Jim Freund came over last Wed and we cleaned all parts from top to bottom. No dice--Thurs am Dell tech support was suppose to call me before 10am to make an appt for it to be serviced. Well to make a long stoty short--the tech guy came today--he was supposed to replace the fan, the power source, and the motherboard. He wasn't given a relacement fan and the power thingie he brought was no good. He replaced the motherboard. Cumputer went on, I downladed a week's worth of mail that I answered from my travel laptop, printed out a bunch of stuff, and went off for several hours...Got back around 5:30 pm,answered more mail and...it shut down again. So now I can't access my mail from the past week until the computer cools off --and I'm trying to reach Dell and Bantec as I'm not sure if the servicing system has to start from scratch. This really really sucks!

Thank goodness for my laptop, at least. I am very grumpy!

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   

Argh! That sounds awful. My sympathies.

Do you have back-ups of your important data from the desktop, just in case?

chance
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   

so sorry, ellen. computer woes stink. glad you got someone on the case.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   

Vy --I've backed up all my files recently--but luckily I haven't lost anything when it shuts down.

I had to start from scratch with Dell and am now on hold wit Bantec to get a new appt---arghh --this time I'm going to make sure the service guy has the actual relacement parts!

When computers work I love them. When they don't I want to scream!!!

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   

When I worked tech support, I had a lovely program I downloaded somewhere online. I think it was called Stress Relief? When you ran it, it took a snapshot of your screen, and then you could hammer, machine gun, or spraypaint your screen. Or set animated termites loose to devour whatever you were looking at.

It was very soothing.

(I should add here that I misread "appt" as an abbreviation for "apartment," and I thought, "Hey, how cool is that? When Ellen's computer breaks, Dell ships her a whole new apartment! I gotta get me a Dell!")

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 06:59 pm:   

Vy....I'd love that.

And I wouldn't mind a whole new apt if it was quite a bit larger than what I have.

I should be getting a new service guy Wed. However, I need to make sure he brings the new fan and power source. No shortcuts this time. I want everything replaced that could be broken.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   

Argh! Sorry to hear that Ellen. Having gone through a similar experience, I definitely sympathize. I hope your unruly comp gets fixed.

That Stress Relief program sounds very useful!

LeslieWhat
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   

Yikes, Ellen. I stopped by here to see if you were AFK. Sorry to hear about the trouble.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

This looks like the program I used to have:

http://www.hortplus.com/FreeStuf/Stress/Stress.htm

(At the bottom of the page, called "Computer Screen Killer.")

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:52 am:   

Leslie, I feel really stupid, but what's AFK?

Beth
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

Ellen, I had the same question about AFK.

Sorry to hear that you're having computer woes. Here's hoping a new power source and fan will help. (And the new apartment. *g*)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:18 am:   

Thanks Beth.
Well hopefully Leslie will come back and tell us. I know AFAIK and some other web acronyms but that doesn't sound familiar.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

AFK most likely means Away From Keyboard. Often used in instant messages with BRB (Be Right Back).

Melissa Mead
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   

Ouch-even my Techie husband winced at that one! I hope everything gets straightened out all right.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   

Sounds like a hard drive failure to me. Something similar happened to my HP Pavilion last summer just as I was struggling to get a new story out to market.

This happened just after the laptop's warranty expired. In addition, I had sent the laptop in for warranty work on the same problem three times over the course of the computer's life time.

In my case, I had to scrounge up $500 in order to purchase a homebuilt desktop. Thankfully, that computer is still operational. But it pushed me further into using pen and paper for my initial drafts.

Pen and paper do not suffer from hardware or software failures.

You know, Ellen. You could always go back to using a typewriter. :-)

You have my deepest symapathies. No writer or editor should suffer from such aggravation. There is plenty enough of it out there already.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

P.S. What is it with this crap about phone type tech support? If I'm the tech, how can I tell what is wrong with your computer if I can't see it? Likewise, how can I tell the tech what is going wrong if I don't understand it?

Melissa Mead
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

Phone tech support usually runs down a list of "Most likely suspects" for a computer user to try: "Have you updated your drivers? Are all the cords plugged in?" etc.

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

I believe this might be a big reason why Ellen doesn't do e-subs.

Hope all is otherwise well, Ellen. :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:23 pm:   

It's not a hard drive failure as everything comes up just fine and dandy after it cools off.

Jason,
Just got your horror story reprint.
thanks

I'm in a slightly better mood. Found a new place to buy book packaging cartons (the original place I was counting on today was gone). Now I just need to buy a new fan for my bedroom and hope the computer is fixed tomorrow.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:23 pm:   

Yikes! Good you backed up, at least, and that you have a laptop. My 1930s Imperial waits smugly for the day that all these upstarts get their final comeuppance. Its silk ribbon is irreplaceable, but it still works. Of course, come Comeuppance Day, we'll have to hone our hollerin skills, and make a lot of cups with strings. In the meantime, that Stress Relief program sounds good, and maybe it's time to monitor your health. I recommend
The Dolphin Stress Test
http://webpages.charter.net/hkirtley/stress/

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   

Anna,
Ummmm. Not that I don't trust you but if it's one of those horrible sites where something awful jumps out at you with a horrible loud sound, I really really can't deal with that ;-) so....I think I'll decline...but anyone else here can certainly try it out! with my blessings.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   

I never saw one of those sites, Ellen. I don't like practical jokes like that. They remind me of the time I was travelling in southern Georgia, and there was a man by the side of the road selling, beside a big hand-scawled sign, "BOILED PEANUTS". "Why don't you try one?" he said. When I reached toward the paper bag he held out, up popped a dead squirrel. He prayctikly wayt his payants, but I bought his damn peanuts, as I didn't hold anything against them. They were awful. I think you have to brought up with them to like them, like cannon-ball-heavy matzo balls.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   

Just FYI--I went to the site. Nothing jumped out, and it made me smile.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

Anna and Vy,
Thank you. I just checked it out and it's just want I needed. :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

I'm holding my figurative breath. The Dell service man came and replaced the power thingie. He did NOT bring a new CPU fan. So....the computer might go out again. It's been on since around 1pm. We shall see.
I told them to keep the trouble ticket open for at least another 24 hours. Then I'll know if it's working properly. please please.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   

Fingers crossed for ya, Ellen.

Thanks for those links, Anna and Vylar!

Beth
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   

Ellen, in my experience as a software engineer, I find it helps if you verbally threaten the computer while holding a screwdriver. (Er, the screwdriver tool, not the drink. Though I guess the drink wouldn't hurt.)

Fingers crossed that your computer is now healthy.

Anna, thank you for sharing the link. I needed that.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

I don't want to jinx it but it's still running.

Now my friend who has studied IT for the past couple of years says it's no longer necessary or advisable to keep a desktop on all the time and that once I am sure it's working correctly I should turn it off all night anyway. The tech person who helped me buy and set up the computer told me to keep it and my dsl on all the time except for when I leave town.

So what's common wisdom these days? (I've got good firewalls and virus protection against virii and spyware and stuff).

T Taylor
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:09 am:   

I would turn the computer off at night, like the IT guy said. I used to work as on site support for a company with a dozen or so computers and we implemented that policy and had less crashes.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

It was a gal, actually. :-)
But thanks.

Jennifer Lee
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   

Ellen,
If you are having overheating issues one thig you can do as a temp fix. is to get a regular sized desk fan and point it at your computer as close to the vent on the pc as you can get. This will cool your pc down but its only a stopgap (keep it constantly running when your pc is on). If you are still having overheating issues even after a mobo replacement you need a new fan/heatsink and possibly a new cpu. Be careful as the longer it runs with a hot cpu the more you risk damaging the new mobo and the cpu itself. What kind of cpu/processor do you have because some of the new intel's run very hot.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   

Jennifer,
The replacement of the power source/fan seems to have done the trick.

Jennifer Lee
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   

That's good to hear! PC problems are like car problems...just horrible.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   

The computer did it again! Today. This time Dell is replacing it with a new computer in about a week. Urghhh.

And. My lovely cat Lily (12)is sick. Don't know what's wrong. She stopped eating. Took her to the vet two Mondays ago to see what's wrong. The vet thought maybe kidney failure. Luckily the xray came out with no cancer and the blood tests were negative for anything serious. However her kidneys are enlarged and she's deheydrated (from not eating). I've been rehydrating her twice a day. Or was. Ran out of the stuff just before the weekend and hoped it would have been enough, but she's still not good so I got more electrolytes or whatever they give her to start again today. Got to show the catsitter how to do it while I"m gone.

I've tried to feed her any kind of food she might like--fancy feast, cream cheese, baby food. I have to put some on her paw and nose. This isn't good. She's also on moxicillin in case there was in infection and a tincture.

I have to talk to the vet tomorrow to ask what else he suggests. ( he wasn't in today when I went to pick up the liquids). She likes to eat petromalt from the tube and I wonder if there's a high calory thing for her to eat the same way that might taste similar. I'll go to the pet store around the corner tomorrow.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   

Oh no!

Poor Lily. I hope she's okay.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   

Thanks Vy.
I'm hoping she'll snap out of it.

Btw, got your submission today :-)

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:03 am:   

My 16-year-old cat Tak went through the same thing a few months back -- just stopped eating. Tests showed nothing. I did the rehydration, antibiotics, and so forth, and tried fancy food. After a couple of weeks, he started eating again and is doing fine. I'd like to see him eat more, but otherwise he seems normal. I hope your Lily improves the same way. Perhaps it's just an unknown virus or infection.

Nancy

steveberman
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:46 am:   

Ellen,

I hope your computer woes improve - I remember my recent Dell crashes with some ire (I might never be sure what partial work I lost).

Also, I hope your cat improves. My fat bald-bellied fellow was very happy to see me back from China and Mongolia. I guess he did not lose his appetite at my brief disappearance.

Steve

Beth
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:56 am:   

Ellen,

Oh no, a double whammy. I hope the new Dell solves your computer woes, and more important, that Lily feels better soon.

--Beth

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

Thank you. I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing. (for Lily)

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:33 am:   

Hi Ellen,

Our cat, Miss Q, was 13 when something similar happened to her [she's just fine now, a year later]. She became lethargic , her eyes became dull and she couldn't be enticed with chicken, salmon, etc. The vet did blood tests and determined it was likely a bladder infection. They couldn't force feed either her medication [pill form] nor food - she was extremely agitated when they tried - so we fed her at home for two weeks via an esphagal tube, which, oddly enough, didn't seem to bother her.

Hope Lily's o.k.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

Thanks Bruce.
I'm still awaiting a call back from the vet.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

Has Dinah been nice to Lily? Sometimes when a cat is sick, the other one will be mean to her.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   

No. In fact, today I caught Dinah picking on her and I shooed her away.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Ellen, how is Lily feeling? I've been worried about her all weekend.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

Just got back from Readercon and she doesn't seem any worse, which is promising. We have an appointment in a week for a sonogram.
I got her to eat some cream cheese tonight....

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   

Well, that's encouraging. Please keep us posted.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

The replacement computer is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Once it's here I have to coordinate the Dell tech person and Jim Freund to come over and set it up. I want the tech person to just replace the hard drive with my current hard drive and Jim to make sure everything is correct before they both leave.

In the meantime, Lily is hanging in. I forced her to eat some lamb baby food and am continuing to hydrate her twice a day--with extra vitamins in the mix now. I'm petting her a lot and talking to her and helping her up and down from the places she wants to lie. Unfortunately, she's occasionally taken to lying on the kitchen floor and because she's mostly gray I'm having trouble noticing her when the light's off. Got to step more carefully.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

I brought Lily in to the vet this morning because she's weaker. He confirmed what I thought but hoped wasn't true--she's dying. I'm not quite ready to let her go and so for the next few days, unless she takes a turn for the worse, I'll keep her company. Next week, whatever happens will happen.
He gave her a shot of something. Not sure what. The sonogram's off. No point. Her kidneys are further enlarged.

I saw an acquaintance last night who recommended an herbalist in Oregon who saved her dog's life three year's ago. I'm going to call her and see what she says. I don't hold out much hope though.
My friend Ellie's coming over today for a little while to keep us company.

In good news, my replacement computer arrived. Now I have to make an appt with tech to set it up--probably Monday.

T Andrews
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

I hope Lily remains relatively comfortable. So sorry to hear it's so serious. :-(

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Same here.

Beth
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear the news about Lily.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

Thanks.
I just talked to the herbalist in Oregon and am getting a package overnighted to me. Stuff to inject subcutaneously. Luckily I have a syringe from shooting some antibiotic under my gums (you don't want to know) a few years ago, as the I don't think the syringe from the hydrating fluid contraption is removable.

If it helps, it'll be a miracle, but I'm willing to try.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:15 am:   

I'm sorry to hear this, Ellen. I also hope Lily remains relatively comfortable.

Diana Rowland
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:28 am:   

You can buy syringes with sub-q needles over the counter at any pharmacy and they are not expensive. If you use a fresh needle every time you inject her it will be far more comfortable for her, because even one stick can dull the needle. (I'm too familiar with self-injections from my experience with gestational diabetes and daily insulin injections.)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:45 am:   

Thanks Diana. I've got extra needles for the hydration I've been giving her. It was the syringe I wasn't sure about.

ABV
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

Ellen, I am so sorry to hear about Lily. My thoughts are with you all.

Ann V.

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

Very sorry about Lily, best of luck.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   

Thanks Ann and Bruce. I appreciate your kind words.

Melissa Mead
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

I'm so sorry. I hope you get that miracle.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   

Thanks Melissa,
Whether I do or don't, Lily doesn't seem to be in any pain, and that's most important.

Anne S
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

Ellen,

So sorry to hear about your cat Lily.
I know from personal experience what it is like to have a terminally ill cat. My sympathies.

Anne

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   

Thank you Anne. Yeah, it sucks big time.

Sheila Williams
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:53 pm:   

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about Lily. It seems like only minutes ago she was a tiny little kitten. My thoughts are with both of you.

Love,

Sheila

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   

Thanks Sheila. I know. She's not that old (comparing her to other cats I've had). Only 13.

Btw,are you going to be in Glasgow?

Chris Barzak
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:40 am:   

Oh Ellen, I'm so sorry for you and poor Lily. My thoughts are with you.

Kathy S
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

Ellen --
Very sorry to hear that. We've lost a cat to kidney failure a few years back, so I sympathize. I hope the herbalist helps.

Bruce
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:00 am:   

John Varley posted this quote on his website in the section dedicated to Cirocco, his and Lee's beloved Shetland Sheepdog. Though agnostic, I still find it comforting, and hope you do too, Ellen.

They say when you die and go to heaven all the dogs and cats you've ever had in your life come running to meet you.

Kinky Friedman

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Sorry to hear about your cat Ellen. I know how close they can get..

Sheila Williams
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 07:33 am:   

Ellen,

I will be at the Worldcon. We're going to Ireland first for a few days to visit some relatives, so I won't be arriving until sometime Thursday evening.

See you in Glasgow, if not before.

Sheila

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

Thanks everyone.

Bruce, that just made me lose it.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 08:09 am:   

Sheila,
I'll be getting in thursday evening with Pat Cadigan. We're taking the train from London.

Bruce
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Hi Ellen,

Boy, that sure wasn't my intent!

When I was a lad, I asked a priest [I'm a recovered Catholic] if pets went to Heaven, and he 'cheered' me up by spouting the party line that No, I'd never see my dog again, he didn't have a soul, blah, blah. I thought then, and still do, that that lame-assed dilution of Paradise wasn't a place I'd like to go. I hope Lily's comfortable today.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   

Hi Bruce,
I know and it's ok :-)

The herbal stuff arrived as promised and I injected Lily with two ampoules of stuff (cutting my finger on the first glass ampoule trying to figure out how to open it). No change. But she seems comfortable. Just sleepy all the time. I picked her up and put her on the couch where I work, and she's now laying on the top of it while I reach back and pet her periodically.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   

Lily is lucky to have someone to take such good care of her. Where did she come from? Was she a stray, or given to you by someone?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   

My friend Ellie and I went to a woman in Brooklyn who rescued cats. She was found with some other kittens in a vacant lot in Brooklyn where their mother lived. There were only a few kittens available and she was the most alert without being obnoxious (one was driving his momcat crazy he was so active).

You can see photos of her on my website:
http://datlow.com/gallery/cats.html

Melissa Mead
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:23 pm:   

Oh, she's beautiful! They both are.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   

Thanks. It was Dinah I was worried about for a long time as she has "elevated liver enzymes"--totally healthy though and since the holistic vet put her on a special tincture she's not as long and lean as she was (totally skinny, she was).
Lily has always been healthy up to now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   

I came back from dinner at 8pm tonight and Lily was worse and knew it was time.

It could not wait for tomorrow so I found a 24 hour practice on 15th street off 5th avenue and took her in. She was failing as they were trying to find a vein. My friend Ellie had met me and we were both with her when she died.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   

Ellen

I'm so sorry. But suffering is pointless.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:25 pm:   

Rick,
Thanks. Do you mean mine or hers? (sorry I'm kidding). I agree. I think she was calm and just sleepy and not in pain until the very end. I knew I had to do it tonight or I would have been with her (both of us suffering) all night until I could rush her in to the vet in the morning. I would never have forgiven myself for waiting.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   

I am so sorry. I would say more but I have nothing but cliches.

Laird
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   

My condolences, Ellen.

Laird

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   

Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts.

Jason D. Wittman
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   

My condolences too, Ellen. I know what it is to lose a cat.

Jason

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

I'm sorry, Ellen. I'm glad Lily didn't suffer.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   

I mean, at least til the end. She was lucky to be so well taken care of.

Bruce
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   

My condolences, Ellen.

Anna FDD
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 01:43 am:   

So sorry about this. When my cat Terry died (at just 8, of kidney failure), the vet was desperately trying to save her and so she was installed in a cage at the vet's with a drip for the last two days. I still regret that for the last few hours of her life she was without me in an unfamiliar place.

I'm glad that she was with you at the end.

My condolences to Dinah too.

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 05:33 am:   

So sorry, Ellen.

Bob Urell
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

Hugs and good wishes, Ellen. I'm sorry.

Beth
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

Ellen, I'm so sorry about Lily.

Melissa Mead
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

I'm sorry.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

Thank you.

It was a terrible experience, but I won't go into details. However, I don't believe she suffered except maybe for a few minutes at the end.

The vet first said well, we need to bring her downstairs and put her on iv..etc and see if she survives the night and I said "what are you talking about?" She's dying, right? I mean, she's not going to get better is she?" (she was just laying there on her side by this time)

And the vet said, "I wanted to give you a choice. But if you're talking about quality of life, it's not going to be better."

I was appalled that the vet made this offer, as it would have given hope to someone who didn't understand the situation. For a sec, I thought maybe MY vet was wrong, that Lily wasnt dying and that she could be saved. But really, I could see that she wasn't going to recover.

Jamesaritchie
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

One thing that has helped me is keeping an external hard drive going at all times. It's mirrored to m y inboard hard drive, and everything, every program on my regular dard drive, and all data on my regular hard drive, is also installed on the external hard drive.

If my computer goes down for any reason, the enternal hard drive is still there, and still contains everything I need, even if I have to use it on a new computer.

External hard drives are very cheap now, and so are external power supplies. Both can be lifesavers.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

Thansk for the suggestion, James.

MaryRobinette
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

I'm so sorry for your loss. Lily looks like a real sweetie.

I hope that you and Dinah are taking good care of each other.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   

Thanks Mary. She was a darling girl.

I think Dinah might revel in being the only cat for a few weeks. She's a spoiled brat, anyway.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   

Again, Ellen, I'm sorry for your loss. I miss my cats back home in America, but it's not the same as this. Take care of yourself and be well. My thoughts are with you.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

Thanks, Chris. I'm at the stage where I'm feeling guilty that I didn't do enough. I realize it's silly but... if I realized earlier that she wasn't eating, if I noticed her behavior was different earlier maybe I could have taken her to the vet earlier and he would have found that it wasn't serious and she could have been helped. blah blah blah.

Anne S
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   

Ellen,

How sad! I know how distressing it is to have a cat put down. We had a similar late night visit to a 24 hour vet with a much beloved cat. I was glad that we were able to be with him to end even though the experience was very painful and sad.

Anne

AnnaFDD
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 04:20 am:   

The problem with animals is that it's not really obvious when they're seriously sick. Especially cats, who are both very private and very fastidious anyway. They do stop eating for a variety of reasons, they protest vocally for reasons that you never get to the bottom of, they stop using the litterbox because they're mad at you, and so on. And so, it's only in hindsight that you realize that the signs were serious this time. And when it's serious, often there really isn't much you can do.

I felt very guilty because my Terry had given lots of indications that things weren't right before I took her to the vet - but the fact was, with the kidneys failing rapidly there wasn't anything we could do anyway. You can't put a cat on a dialisis machine.

My mother, when my cat Ombra died while I was away, had the vet perform an autopsy, and when it turned out she's had a heart attack everybody was much reassured. (This didn't stop me believing that she'd died of a broken heart because I had deserted her, of course: but most probably, it was because she had been a very sick kitten found half-dead under the rain a cold November day, afflicted by every parasite known to veterinary science; and it had left her with a weak heart.)

And after all, twelve years with regular food, loving affection and a warm place to sleep, no pain and plenty of reassurance, no lice, fleas, mites, fungi or worms, not to mention shelter from cat-hating people, passing cars and infected wounds, is a much longer and happier cat life than any cat would manage on its own. We give them a lot and they know it, or they wouldn't love us back.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

Thank you Anne and Anna.

Michael Kelly
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 09:13 am:   

Ellen,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost two lovely cats, Nicky and Alex. Both to feline AIDS. It was heart-breaking having to take them to the vets. But when it was time, we did. You did the right thing, Ellen, not waiting until the morning. I now have Oliver and Tigger, and they are both young and healthy.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   

Thank you Michael.

She wouldn't have survived the night--I realize that now.

Steve Berman
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   

Ellen,

You have my deepest condolences over Lily. I hope your spirits are well.

Steve Berman

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I'm up and down.

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

Ellen, I'm so sorry. We went through a close call with our dog last summer, and it completely tore us apart.

Beth
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

Hi Ellen, Yeah, it takes a while to recover when a pet dies. My old cat died this past March, and I still find myself ambushed by sudden bouts of missing her.

Do take care of yourself.

ABV
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

Ellen, I was out of town or I would have posted earlier. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Losing a cat is very difficult, but I an sure you are glad that she wasn't alone.

Much love,

Ann V.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   

Thanks, Ann.

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   

I'm sorry for your loss, Ellen. You know you did all you could.

E Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   

My condolences on Lily.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   

Thanks Richard and E.

Mark Samuels
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   

I am sorry to hear this too. When my old cat Edgar died it was horrible to think of him being alone out in a field (many moons ago) until his remains were discovered. As HPL once said: "cats are the soul of antique aegyptus". Perhaps he's now mousing in Feline Elysium with all the others in ailuro-wonder.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

Years ago, I buried my cat in a small grove close to the sea, right before the dunes and witch-grass start. A large calico appeared from parts unknown, sat in the grass about ten feet away and watched the entire burial, before quietly walking away. It was an eerie, yet comforting, experience.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Some of Lily's ashed will be goint to Mesa, AZ to reside in a minature temple to Bast my friend Sarah maintains, with my late cat Nielsen's ashes and some of Sarah's own cats'. The rest will likely go around NYC and maybe in the Hudson River.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   

Very sorry about Lily, Ellen, but you shouldn't feel guilty. She had a great life with you, unlike millions of other unloved pets and strays. I like the ashes idea. I look out my window and can see where my cat lies, under a rough piece of sunwarmed granite from our hills.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   

Thanks Anna.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:15 pm:   

Technology has not been my friend today.
Don't want to go into details but:
Jim Freund came over to set up new Dell and although they kindly sent me an upgraded tower, they neglected to send a new keyboard which would work with the usb rather than parallel port (I think that's what Jim said)--and the plug to my printer is also wrong. He tried to switch the hard drive and it didn't automatically work, and since it wasn't connected to a keyboard that was a bust.

Tried to activate new cel phone (Cingular--pay as you go) and got caught in a phone loop and can't call customer service without the phone # the activation # was supposed to give me. I'll probably take it to a Cingular store and make them do it for me.

Lastly, Jim was going to check out that I can connect to the ethernet with my travel laptop (what I've been using since my Dell blinked out) and discovered he had to load something via disk, and I can't find my external floppy drive and external cd-rom drive, although I know they've got to be in the apt somewhere. The box they are supposed to be in is not where it usually is.

And the heat got me too. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

MaryRobinette
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   

Oh, that sucks. If I actually knew you, instead of just being a fan, I'd take you out for a frosty adult beverage. And I certainly loan you my external drives.

MaryRobinette
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   

Sigh. I would certainly loan...

typos

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

Thank you Mary. I understood what you meant :-)

JV
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

So sorry to hear about Lily, Ellen.
JV

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Thanks Jeff. I shouldn't say, but she was my favorite.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   

Minor good news. The external floppy drive and cd-rom drive for my travel laptop have been found. After cleaning up the back room a little (first rooting around in it hysterically for hours) I gave up. However, I decided to look more carefully in the antique cabinet I bought for my foyer a few months ago. And lo and behold!!!! That's where the drives were. Hallelujah!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   

Dell has overnighted me a keyboard that is compatible with the new computer. I had to lay out $40 for a cable that will connect the new computer (USB ports) with my printer (parallel ports). They will not send over a technician to move my data even though the replacement computer of course is useless to me otherwise. Jim Freund will hopefully come over Wed to move everything and set it up.

Cel phone works although every time I try to set something on it I send a call my accident. Oh well.

Had order new contact lenses got the wrong order. Called and reordered two pair on sale and when checking the tracking info online discovered they sent me two more pairs of the wrong lenses. I called again and this time they've sent the correct ones. I have to return three pairs once I get the return shipping label.

The vet where Lily died might have lost her ashes.
I called today to ask if I'm supposed to pick them up or do they ship them and they asked me for my name...etc and said well they usually are ready Wednesdays and when did you come in? I told her the 15th and there's a silence on the phone. She says, I'll have to check further, can I call you back? The rest of the morning I was on the phone with Dell so I'll call the vet again tomorrow.

It never ends does it? Can't wait for July to be over.

Beth
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 03:21 am:   

Ellen: Sympathies! Here's hoping that things get better and *stay* better.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

Ashes found.

On the phone with Dell to check that new keyboard will indeed be delivered today.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:44 am:   

Phone service stopped Thursday morning, verizon came over Friday and I was told it was from their end and would be fixed off site. It was, Friday night, but my DSL service has now been dead since then.
Bway is working on it today (from their end).

MaryRobinette
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Oh, fer cryin' out loud. Will it never end?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   

Yeah, isn't that crazy? Nutso!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 05:21 pm:   

No reasons for a long time but now there is one: I'm freezing! The heat in my building has been off all weekend and last night it was effing cold--below freezing! And it's been cold today (I'm wearing a sweater) and tonight. I called the super and landlord early today and left messages. It's Easter weekend of course, so it's not like I expected them to be in --silly me (for some strange reason, the only emergencies are over weekends or on holidays--when the super--who does not live in the building is unresponsive).
I also complained to the housing dept as it's illegal to not have the heat on in buildings through May 15th when the outside temp or below a certain number.

The cats are not happy either, even with their fur coats.

PM
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   

That's not good!

It would have been a good weekend to have been in Florida, with the cats.

Perhaps someone will invite you and your cats over...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 08:35 pm:   

It's too late. Hopefully tomorrow the super will return and the heat will be turned on. (sniff)
I've given the cats the extra blanket as I wear my dad's old woolen bathrobe :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 09:25 am:   

Heat came on around 9am this morning after a very uncomfortable night.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:08 am:   

Glad to hear it's back on. I had a night like that in February. It would have been horrible if I didn't have a electric blanket to warm me up in bed at least.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   

I should have broken down and grabbed my fur coat from the back room but I didn't want to get out of bed. I had on a sheet, a comforter (not down, I'm allergic), a wool blanket, and my wool bathrobe --I almost felt I should wear gloves. My hands were cold.
No electric blanket and the cats were looking to me for warmth. They weren't warm enough for me ;-)

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   

Electric blankets are good (as earlier mentioned).

And if there's no electricity then quilts are good too.

At least two feet of protective coverings and warmer cats :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:16 pm:   

Or dogs. It ain't for nothing the band was called Three Dog Night.

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   

I couldn't go with three dogs.

I might go with some appropriately dimensioned fans :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   

Uh. Thanks. But I think I'd prefer cats or dogs ;-)

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   

To each their own :-)

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   

Cats for sure. Dogs don't purr. ;-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 06:31 pm:   

And dogs smell bad (I don't mind the smell of cats)--like dogs, for crissake!

PM
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Dogs must be put in their place.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:12 pm:   

At the foot of the bed. Which is where my cats sometime sleep...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

Horribly, Michael and Geri Bishop's son, Jamie, who was a German Professor, was murdered at Virginia Tech yesterday. I never met him but looking at his website
http://www.memory39.com/

he seems to have been smart, sweet, and talented. I cannot even imagine losing a child this way.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   

Nor can I.

Condolences to the Bishop family and others who are suffering.

Bob_kruger
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   

Ellen, I called Mike's house, but no answer. I had hoped this was some mistake, but doesn't look like it. I'm gut-punched, totally sick. Jamie was one of my freelancers. Any information you can pass me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Bob Kruger
rpk(at)electricstory.com

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   

I'm so terribly sorry for the Bishop family and their friends. Jason Lundberg confirmed on his blog -

http://jlundberg.livejournal.com/466300.html

- that it was Jamie Bishop who was slain, and that Michael and Jeri Bishop are en route to Blacksburg.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   

Bob
Here's a heartbreaking article about him:
http://tinyurl.com/2sfvs4

Damn. I've been spelling Jeri's name wrong (as Geri), including the sympathy card I sent out.

Bob_kruger
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   

What did he say? Did he make any requests? This is completely surreal.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   

Bob,
I'll email you --I don't feel it's appropriate to post here...however I will pass on this note he sent to Walter Jon Williams (he wrote an earlier version to me--Tuesday he didn't know as much as this):

Tomorrow morning, on NBC, two fellow members of Jamie and Steffi's language department at Virginia Tech will announce a scholarship in German here in Jamie's name.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   

Nuts, I thought I had your email address but don't.
Do you know mine? If so email me.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |