YBFH#16 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » YBFH#16 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 05:12 am:   

I'm still reading (late as usual) but so far have about 104,000 words (I'm entitled to 125,000 in my half). When I'm finished I'll post the list here and when I get Terri's will post hers as well.

It's been a very good year for short horror fiction. This is from my summary:

Surprisingly and happily 2002 was an exceptionally strong year for short horror fiction. There were a number of excellent original anthologies and collections with terrific stories and novellas. For the first time since beginning this series I feel that the horror section could have been twice as long as I'm allowed.

Steve Taylor
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:01 am:   

Would you say the excellence in Horror came from those normally defined as writers of horror, or from outside of that group this year? And how, finally, do you decide when confronted with so much good material? I know Dark Terrors this time tried to include a mix of all kinds of horror. Do you do it that way or try a more unified approach focusing on certain kinds of horror?

Ellen
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   

The horror came from writers of all kinds but I've discovered surprisingly that this year I've overwhelmingly chosen stories by Britons. Dark Terrors 6 is the best of the series by far. I chose three stories from that antho and could have happily taken at least three others but felt I couldn't.
You'll see that I've taken stories from TTA, On Spec (Canadian mag), Eidolon online (Australian), a few collections (Brian Hodge, Bentley Little), Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet (a poem), one story from Conjunctions (Lull, by Kelly Link) that Terri and I are "sharing wordage on and a nonfiction piece on outsider artist Henry Darger by Liz Hand from F&SF that Terri and I are also "sharing.

I'd say on the whole the writers whose work I've chosen are most definitely within the realms of the horror field, although some like Kelly Link) and Terry Dowling and Nicholas Royle as often write fantasy or sf.

Tina Wertz
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:23 pm:   

Ellen, have you contacted all the writers who you are going to reprint for this year's anthology?

Ellen
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:30 pm:   

Nope. I'm still reading and agonizing over the last 10,000 words of fiction.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:13 am:   

Hey, so I'm still in with a chance?!
;-)

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:14 am:   

Not that I feel I'm being ignored, year after year after year after year after year after year after year, of course...!
:-)

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

Shhhh, Rhys. I've tried that. It doesn't work. :-)

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

That's OK. I was joking anyway!

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:58 am:   

So was I!

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:04 am:   

Ahem. No comment, you two!
<g>

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:04 am:   

LOL!

"It is better, far better, to be a clown than to be holy." -- NIETZSCHE

It's probably not something to joke about, though, honestly.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:19 am:   

Think of it not so much as being ignored as Not Yet Chosen. That's the lie I tell myself, anyway

<g> Hi Ellen!

-- Laura Anne

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:56 pm:   

Hi Laura Anne!

Well, it's down to the wire. I should be able to post my half of the contents by the end of the week. (and for those of you who have sent stories to SCIFICTION and haven't yet heard back the %&#&# YBFH is the reason why--well, that and having been in London for two weeks).

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   

So, since it will be awhile until I can get the books--seeing as it isn't finished being collected--what's up with horror these days? I'm hopelessly out of the loop, still admiring Kathe Koja (even if her prose sometimes irritated me) and still not liking most of those spatterpunk kids!

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

Hi Maureen,
I didn't see your post till now--I wasn't ignoring you <g>
Splatter has moved more into drool and disgust but some of those who were writing splatter have moved on or out of the field.

I've finally made my picks so unless we can't get rights to something or another short-short slips in under the wire, here are my choices so get ready to agree, argue, cheer, boo, whatever:

Best of the Year 2002

Unspeakable by Lucy Taylor The Darker Side

Inside Out-Henry Darger(nf) by Elizabeth Hand F&SF May (sharing wordage with TW)

The Coventry Boy by Graham Joyce The Third Alternative Issue 32

Hides by Jay Russell Stranger: Dark Tales of Eerie Encounters

The Machine by Conrad Williams The Third Alternative Issue 31

Standard Gauge by Nicholas Royle Thirteen

Some Other Me by Brian Hodge Lies and Ugliness

Nesting Instincts by Brian Hodge Lies & Ugliness

Hide and Seek by Nicholas Royle Dark Terrors 6

Details by China Miéville The Children of Cthulhu

The Green Man by Christopher Fowler The Third Alternative Issue 31

The Prospect Cards by Don Tumasonis Dark Terrors 6

Puce Boy by Michael Libling On Spec winter

No End of Fun by Ramsey Campbell Embrace the Mutation

The Receivers by Joel Lane Dark Terrors 6

The Wolf's Story (poem) by Nan Fry Lady

Stitch by Terry Dowling Eidolon: Australian SF Online December

Lull by Kelly Link Conjunctions 39: The New Wave Fabulists (sharing wordage with TW)

Maya's Mother by Bentley Little The Collection

Feeders and Eaters by Neil Gaiman Keep out the Night

The Assistant to Dr. Jacob by Eric Schaller Nemonymous May

Little Dead Girl Singing by Stephen Gallagher Weird Tales spring

Road Trip by Kathe Koja World Fantasy Convention Program Book

Egyptian Avenue by Kim Newman Embrace the Mutation

A Short Life by Emma Donoghue The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   

Sorry, Nan Fry's poem is From Lady CHurchill's Rosebud Wristlet No. 11
I cut it off by accident.

Luís
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

Hello, Ms Datlow:

Great list, as far as the stories I've read are concerned. What about China's "Familiar"? It would be a shame to leave it out . . . Or is that one of Terri Windling's picks?

Best,
Luís

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:00 pm:   

Hi Luis,
I didn't like it as much as "Details." I don't know Terri's picks yet--I"m not sure she's done.

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   

Congrats to everyone who made it in. I didn't have any time to read short fiction last year--I was too busy co-editing Lev3, etc. So I look forward to reading these stories in one convenient book.

JeffV

Jay C
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:35 am:   

An interesting selection, Ellen. Good to see the strong representation of TTA there. I've always thought Andy publishes some pretty fine stuff.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:46 am:   

Hi Jay/James,
I think Andy's Crimewave is the best mystery mag around. It blows EQMM and AHMM out of the water with content and design.

As I suspected, a lot of Brits this year, for some reason.

Jay C
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:39 am:   

Ellen, either one will do. <g>

Yes, I've just started submitting to Crimewave, so we shall see...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

Thanks for the info about the YB, Ellen. Any chance you could "leak" the ToC for the Fantasy half someday...?

I'm WAY behind on my horror short fiction, so the antho will be a big help once it comes out. I always look forward to the big fat YB anthos to haul to the beach with me...

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

Mike, I'd more than leak it --I'd announce it but Terri and I don't confer so until she announced her half I don't know what's in it either.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:56 pm:   

Hi Ellen

Great looking list. Since people have asked about China M.s stories, what did you think of The Tain?

J

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   

I also enjoyed "Details" better than "Familiar", Ellen. I'm glad you're reprinting it -- not many people seem familiar with John's anthology, so when I mention the story I get a blank.

Bob
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:41 pm:   

Wow. I've actually read some of these in their original venues. I'm feeling so cool and with it....
Coventry Boy was, of course, excellent. The Assistant to Dr. Jacob is the best story I've read all year, in my opinion.
Way to go, Ellen.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:41 pm:   

Jonathan,
I haven't read it yet but will be to cover in my summary of the year.

China gave an excellent reading of "Familiar" at the Conjunctions reading Gabe, which made me like it more than I'd remembered.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

Funny, Ellen, I also liked the version he read aloud better, and I wonder whether it was due to China's delivery or whether the version he read, which was shortened due to time constraints, in fat turned out (serendipitously) to be tighter than the original.

"The Coventry Boy" is an excerpt from Joyce's new and most excellent novel THE FACTS OF LIFE -- I heartily recommend it.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:17 pm:   

I haven't read Joyce's new novel but knew (after I'd read the story) that "The Coventry Boy" is an excerpt. I think it stands quite well alone though.

Stephen Gallagher
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 04:14 am:   

I always feel guilty that I'm not seen to support TTA more by offering stuff to Andy -- even if he didn't pick it up, it would be a sign of the value I place on what he's doing in the field -- but I always feel the same problem that I used to feel with INTERZONE. I once said to one of the original editorial collective that I'd never submitted because I'd never written anything that I felt was an INTERZONE story, and his response was that there was no such thing as "an INTERZONE story" and that the point of the enterprise was to widen the boundaries beyond the usual ones of genre.

I suppose my problem is that I like to think I'm a bit of a genre-bender myself, but I _do_ need a place to start from!

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:26 am:   

Steve,
I can definitely see your work in TTA.

Of course there's is such thing as "an Interzone" story, a "SCIFICTION" story, etc--but what it boils down to is editorial taste. I think that editors have a feel for what feels "right" for their publication--but I know in my case, occasionally something strikes me as so good that I'll squeeze it in even if it's not the kind of story I ordinarily like. Does that make sense?

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

I've gotten permission from Terri to post some of her final choices (mostly, those in genre.
The others depend on whether we get permissions.

From Terri:
You can also mention that I found it *very* tough this year, as there were more stories that I dearly wanted to buy than we actually have room
to print. So many people were writing *long* stories this year that it cut down the number of pieces I could take, much to my frustration! I truly wish I had another 40,000 words to play with this year.

* What I Didn't See by Karen Joy Fowler, from SciFiction

* Swiftly by Adam Roberts, from SciFiction

* The Rose in Twelve Petals by Theodora Goss, from Realms of Fantasy

* The Pagodas of Ciboure by M. Shayne Bell, from the Green Man

* The Green Word by Jeffrey Ford, from The Green Man

* Creation by Jeffrey Ford, from F&SF

* Inside-Out Henry Darger by Elizabeth Hand, from F &SF (shared with ED)

* The Least Trumps by Elizabeth Hand from Conjunctions: 39

* Lull by Kelly Link from Conjunctions: 39 (shared with ED)

* The Violin-Maker, by Zoran Zivkovic, from Interzone

* A Pool in the Desert by Robin McKinley, from Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits

* Mermaid Song by Peter Dickinson, from Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits

* plus six stories that we're still tracking down the rights on
* plus poetry

Lois Tilton
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:00 pm:   

I wonder, Ellen, since you don't confer, might you both end up picking the same work?

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   

Lois,
We do confer in the end and if we have something that we think the other might want to share wordage on (eg this year the Liz Hand article and Kelly Link's story "Lull") we'll let the other know.
But Terri really doesn't like horror so it's rare that she's on her own, find something that I'd want to take--also, if we overlapped not knowing I'd like to think Jim Frenkel, to whom we send all our titles to (and stories) would let us know <g>

Terri once took a story that I would have if I'd read it--"The Hypothetical Lizard" by ALan Moore. I can't recall where it was published, but it was in a venue I hadn't seen because it was more fantasy. I felt the story was very very dark once I read it.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:37 pm:   

Yes! I'm so glad Jeffrey Ford's "Creation" made it in! I quite dug that story.

Now to track down a copy of Conjunctions and Green Man...

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:57 pm:   

Mike,
It was one of my favorite stories of the year and I'm delighted Terri took it.

benpeek
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   

>Terri once took a story that I would have if I'd read it--"The Hypothetical Lizard" by ALan Moore. I can't recall where it was published, but it was in a venue I hadn't seen because it was more fantasy. I felt the story was very very dark once I read it.<

"The Hypothetical Lizard" is a fine story indeed. i sometimes think alan moore should do more prose work, as the few prose things i've read of his, which includes his novel VOICE OF THE FIRE, are really quite good.

of course, there's much to enjoy in everything moore does...

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   

Ben, I once asked Moore for a submission to one of my anthos ( I don't recall which one) and he said yes but never came through (sigh).

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

Glad to see Zoran Zivkovic on Terri's list.

I do have a question about the poetry selections. It almost seems like you need a separate editor or assistant editor just to go through all of the literary journals out there that might have fantastical or horrific poetry in them. Since in poetry this can be a mood or a metaphor, there should be lots of it out there. Generally, it seems like you don't cast a very wide net right now for poetry--understandably, because you don't have the time. Have you considered designating someone just to make poetry selections?

Jeff V.

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

Hi Jeff,
Terri reads all the literary journals and picks most of the poetry. If she sees horror she'll pass it on to me. I doubt I'm missing all that much horror poetry in the mainstream and I read all the genre poetry mags. We're open to individuals pointing out something we might not see --I have people doing that all year.

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:01 pm:   

Well, I'll start sending in recommendations, then! There's some very neat stuff out there.

Best,

Jeff

andyhat
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:15 pm:   

Are you privy to the contents of the various other year's best fantasy and horror anthologies (Hartwell, Silverberg, and Jones)? If so, are you permitted to post their contents for those of us who like to get a head start on reading the stories?

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:20 pm:   

Hi Andy,
I'm afraid I only definitely know what stories they've taken from SCIFICTION and my GREEN MAN anthology.

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:56 am:   

Ellen, I can't wait to read the Henry Darger piece. I only wish you had space for illustrations. Everyone who doesn't know who Henry Darger is should immediately go to google and start searching. One place to look at is http://henrydarger.tripod.com/ although none of the sites do his art justice.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:43 am:   

Maureen,
A shorter version was in F&SF (but you might as well wait for the complete version <g>). I've got a couple of books on Darger's work, one relatively cheap one that came with the first exhibit of his art at the Am. Folk Art museum that I went to a few years ago.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:54 am:   

Can't you just see us using a Darger painting for the cover of YBFH?
I can see it causing the uproar the Hans Bellmer art on Richard Calder's Dead Girls caused--but in the tenor of our times we might all be arrested for child pornography.

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:27 pm:   

I admit, I almost said you should use the Viviene Girls on the cover--hey some of them are clothed in little dresses and anklets so you can't see their cute little penis'.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:30 pm:   

Riiight. <g>

Jeff Topham
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

Hi Ellen,

I had to laugh when I saw "What I Didn't See" on the fantasy list. A great story by a wonderful writer, but boy did that one cause a ruckus. Well, a minor ruckus at least.

JT

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

Hi Jeff,
Yup <g>

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

It's official. This is Terri's last year working on YBFH as she's giving it up to concentrate on her writing.

Kelly Link and Gavin Grant are taking over the fantasy side of the volume.

Terri and I are continuing to co-edit other anthologies.

Jim Frenkel has sent letters about this to Locus and Chronicle.

Richard Parks
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:18 am:   

It's going to feel very strange without Terri editing the fantasy side, though I'll admit I'm curious to see the Grant/Link version of a year's best.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:49 am:   

Impossible to feel down about Terri spending more time on her own writing, but... it will be strange, indeed. My taste synched well enough with hers that I could trust just about any recommendation she made.

Changes. Bah.

-- Laura Anne

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:03 am:   

Now if only _I_ had the balls to leave (LOL) so I could have a life--just kidding guys!

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:17 am:   

spring 2003

I co-edit the World Fantasy Award winning anthology series The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (St. Martin's Press) with Kelly Link & Gavin Grant. The 16th annual collection will be out in August 2003. We are now reading for the 17th volume, which will include all material published in the year 2003.
I am looking for stories from all branches of horror: from the traditional-supernatural to the borderline, including high-tech science fiction horror, psychological horror, or anything else that might qualify. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2003. Submission deadline for stories is December 15th 2003. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine you edit will be coming out by December 31st 2003 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can judge the stories in time. No email submissions.

There are summations of "the year in horror," and "the year in fantasy" in the front of each volume. These include magazine and publishing news concerning the horror and fantasy fields, novels we've read and liked, and in my section, "odds and ends"-- material that doesn't fit anywhere else but that I feel might interest the horror reader (like strange nonfiction titles, art books, etc). But I have to be aware of this material in order to mention it. The deadline for this section is January 30th, 2004.
When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST HORROR on the envelope.
Ellen Datlow
PMB 391
511 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10011-8436

Kelly Link & Gavin Grant's submissions should be sent to:
Kelly Link & Gavin Grant
176 Prospect Avenue
Northampton, MA 01060

Kelly & Gavin cover fantasy and I cover horror. If you consider something both, send to each of us. We do not confer on our choices.
****I do not want to receive manuscripts from authors of stories from venues that it's likely I already receive regularly (like Interzone, The Third Alternative, Cemetery Dance, etc) or from anthologies, unless I don't have that anthology. And please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose a self-addressed-stamped postcard and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web, please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   

But will this mean Kelly and Gavin will write less? Horrors!

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

I hope not as Kelly already writes too little. (sniff)

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   

Hi Ellen

I'm glad you're staying on, but it will be very strange without Terri doing her side of the book. Still, Gavin and Kelly are sure to do a wonderful job (though I share the hope that it won't interfere with her writing too much).

Jonathan

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   

I know. Well, now she says she can look forward to reading YBFH#17<g>

Perhaps once I retire from it I can go back and read all her selections--I've never had time to read them.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   

It's interesting how, when you're caught up in the middle of something - a real phenomenon like the YBFH - it's hard to have the time to really appreciate it. I'd be fascinated to know how Terri feels about #17 when it comes out. I spent 10 years working on a project and when it continued without me the feelings were...mixed. Thrilled it continued, happy it was so good, but - yeah, odd. - jonathan

Terri Windling
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:54 am:   

Hi, everyone. Jeff V. mentioned that Ellen had a discussion board here, so I thought I'd drop by. (Hi, Ellen!)

Jonathan, yes, it will initially be a little strange to see the first volume of Year's Best without my name on it. I've been editing this book for sixteen years, after all. Since I was in my twenties, which is a sizeable portion of my adult life. <g> It will be very strange to stop. But Kelly & Gavin's tastes are so similar to mine that I'm sure I'm going to love what they do. I actually first began to think about leaving a few years ago, but wasn't willing to let it go until I knew the fantasy part of the book would be in good hands. I've grown more impressed with Kelly and Gavin with each passing year, and so I was very glad that when I recommended them, Ellen, Jim Frenkel, and Marc Resnick (our in-house editor at St. Martins Press) were all immediately enthusiastic about the idea. I'm also glad that Ellen is continuing on with the horror. She'd be much harder to replace, in my opinion. I think she's the best editor in our field, bar none.

I've really loved working on Year's Best with Ellen (as she knows), but it just feels like time to make a change. I'm writing a lot these days, also painting (primarily for exhibitions in Europe), and I'm needing more and more time for these things. I'm going to continue editing other, less time-consuming anthologies with Ellen, and the *occasional* book for Tor, but in general I'm making a shift in my life from the public /collaborative work of editing to the more private /singular work of writing and art. Now I just hope I can produce work that justifies the shift. <g>

I hope y'all like my last volume with Ellen. I think we've found some great material for it.

Bob
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

Congratulations.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:59 pm:   

Hi Terri,
I've just been able to get online from Florida for the first time since Saturday.

I'll miss working with you on the Year's Best--it's been very companionable knowing you've been working on your half while I've been working on mine but as we've both said, we'll be working on anthologies together--ones on which we work closer than YBFH.

Terri Windling
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:55 am:   

Hi, Ellen! How's Florida? I'll see you there soon -- I get in tomorrow (Thursday) night. What's the weather like? I don't know what to pack...

Ellen
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

"A Short Life" by Emma Donoghue has been replaced by "Porno in August" by Carlton Mellick III. The latter is from Random Acts of Weirdness edited by Brian Knight.

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

spring 2003

I co-edit the World Fantasy Award winning anthology series The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (St. Martin's Press) with Kelly Link & Gavin Grant. The 16th annual collection will be out in August 2003. We are now reading for the 17th volume, which will include all material published in the year 2003.
I am looking for stories from all branches of horror: from the traditional-supernatural to the borderline, including high-tech science fiction horror, psychological horror, or anything else that might qualify. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2003. Submission deadline for stories is December 15th 2003. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine you edit will be coming out by December 31st 2003 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can judge the stories in time. No email submissions.

There are summations of "the year in horror," and "the year in fantasy" in the front of each volume. These include magazine and publishing news concerning the horror and fantasy fields, novels we've read and liked, and in my section, "odds and ends"-- material that doesn't fit anywhere else but that I feel might interest the horror reader (like strange nonfiction titles, art books, etc). But I have to be aware of this material in order to mention it. The deadline for this section is January 30th, 2004.
When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST HORROR on the envelope.
Ellen Datlow
PMB 391
511 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10011-8436

Kelly Link & Gavin Grant's submissions should be sent to:
Kelly Link & Gavin Grant
176 Prospect Avenue
Northampton, MA 01060

Kelly & Gavin cover fantasy and I cover horror. If you consider something both, send to each of us. We do not confer on our choices.
****I do not want to receive manuscripts from authors of stories from venues that it's likely I already receive regularly (like Interzone, The Third Alternative, Cemetery Dance, etc) or from anthologies, unless I don't have that anthology. And please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose a self-addressed-stamped postcard and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web, please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story.

Gary Fry
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:11 am:   

Ellen,

Would should I do if my tale has already been published in a major anthology and I wish to suggest it for your possible inclusion in YBHS 2003? I ask because I'm in GATHERING THE BONES, edited by Ramsey Campbell, Jack Dann and Dennis Etchison, which has just come out in Australia and will be released in the UK and US this August. Should I simply presume that you'll read it? It's called 'Both And'.

Cheers,

Gary Fry

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:39 am:   

Gary,
I automatically read all horror anthologies that I know about--which certainly means anything from major publishers.

Gary Fry
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

Okay. Great. Hope you enjoy my contribution.

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 06:24 pm:   

THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR; SIXTEENTH ANNUAL COLLECTION
Tab of contents
Pages xi-xii

CONTENTS

Summation 2002: Fantasy Terri Windling 000
Summation 2002: Horror Ellen Datlow 000
The Year in Media of the Fantastic: 2002 Edward Bryant 000
Fantasy and Horror in Comics: 2002 Charles Vess 000
Fantasy and Horror in Anime and Manga 2002 Joan D. Vinge 000
Obituaries James Frenkel 000
Lull Kelly Link 000
Egyptian Avenue Kim Newman 000
A Letter of Explanation (poem) Corey Marks 000
Details China Miéville 000
The Assistant to Dr. Jacob Eric Schaller 000
The Pagodas of Ciboure M. Shayne Bell 000
The Coventry Boy Graham Joyce 000
The Wild Hunt (poem) Helga M. Novak 000
The Green Word Jeffrey Ford 000
Stitch Terry Dowling 000
Puce Boy Michael Libling 000
The Violin-Maker Zoran Zivkovic´ 000
Maya's Mother Bentley Little 000
Porno in August Carlton Mellick III 000
Nesting Instincts Brian Hodge 000
The Machine Conrad Williams 000
Hansel, A Retrospective, or The Danger of Childhood Obesity (poem) Tom Disch 000
Aquerò Melissa Hardy 000
The Receivers Joel Lane 000
Standard Gauge Nicholas Royle 000
Creation Jeffrey Ford 000
Seven Pairs of Iron Shoes (poem) Tracina Jackson-Adams 000
What I Didn't See Karen Joy Fowler 000
Reading Myth to Kindergarteners (poem) Jackie Bartley 000
Mermaid Song Peter Dickinson 000
Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox Left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Louisville, Kentucky Neil Gaiman 000
No End Of Fun Ramsey Campbell 000
Swiftly Adam Roberts 000
The Green Man Christopher Fowler 000
Some Other Me Brian Hodge 000
The Snow Queen (poem) Robert Phillips 000
Hides Jay Russell 000
Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush Luis Alberto Urrea 000
Five Poems Margaret Lloyd 000
Little Dead Girl Singing Stephen Gallagher 000
A Pool in the Desert Robin McKinley 000
Thailand Haruki Murakami 000
The Rose in Twelve Petals Theodora Goss 000
Road Trip Kathy Koja 000
Unspeakable Lucy Taylor 000
Inside Out: On Henry Darger (essay) Elizabeth Hand 000
The Green Children Kevin Brockmeier 000
After the Chuck Jones Tribute on Teletoon (poem) Sharon McCartney 000
Feeders and Eaters Neil Gaiman 000
Roofwalker Susan Power 000
The Prospect Cards Don Tumasonis 000
Hide and Seek Nicholas Royle 000
The Wolf's Story (poem) Nan Fry 000
The Least Trumps Elizabeth Hand 000
Honorable Mentions: 2002 000

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:19 am:   

Hi Ellen -- you may have read this already (I posted it at the HWA boards), but there's a new horror magazine coming out this fall that sounds good (and I'm not just saying that because I have a collaboration in it that I wrote with Tim Pratt, no, not me, wouldn't do that).

Here's the scoop from John Betancourt in the Wildside Newsgroup:

(from http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.wildside&a mp;art=4243 )

Magazines are fairly cheap to produce, and it makes more
sense to start a new one than to pick up one that isn't already well
established in the U.S.. That's why I'm launching H.P. Lovecraft's
Magazine of Horror this fall. (And no, I'm not doing much besides
putting up the money and inserting lots of Wildside Press ads.) Marvin
Kaye is editing it, Warren Lapine is handling the printing/
distribution/subscription matters for me, and George Scithers is
handling the production.

It's cheaper for me to put out a magazine than it is to put out
catalogs regularly. And yeah, we'll publish 50,000 words of dark
fantasy, horror, and Twilight Zone-style material every issue too.

The formal announcement about HPL's will be made in a few weeks. It is
***not*** an open market, nor will it be for at least a year. Until
it's profitable, material is commissioned. The first issue also
features 2 reprints from U.K. sources, in addition to 30,000 words of
new fiction. I think it's a great magazine title, and it should do
very well.

Cover on the first issue is an original painting of (what else?)
Cthulhu by Bob Eggleton.

(end of quote)

So it's not open yet, but coming soon. Very cool. And a Bob Eggleton cover? Sweet.

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   

Hi Michael,
Yes, I've heard about it. I hope that Betancourt will be sending out review copies.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:10 am:   

a haruki murakami short story. neat. i've a lot of admiration for what he does.

ben.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   

I've just gotten the bound galleys to YBFH #16. It's compact--much smaller trim size--5x8 of the galleys than they've done in the past but the actual book size will be the same.

I like the cover--the colors are beautiful.

Rick Bowes
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   

Didn't #15 just come out a few weeks ago?

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:31 pm:   

It seems that way doesn't it? <g>

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 10:43 am:   

----------------------------------------------------------
PW Editors' Picks for August: Fiction

Each month PW Daily publishes a list of 15 titles--five fiction, five nonfiction and five children's--that our editors have deemed exceptional. Citations are from PW Forecasts.

Today the fiction picks for August:

The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling (St. Martin's Griffin, $35, ISBN: 0-312-31424-8; $19.95)

A highlight of any year's fantastic fiction yield, the 16th incarnation of this award-winning anthology series shows fantasy and horror fiction alive, well and accessible in an impressively broad array of venues ranging from literary journals to genre publications, on-line markets and even a rock music tour book. The 49 selections (which also include poetry and an essay) are as refreshingly impossible to pigeonhole as their sources. Five writers are represented by two selections apiece; that might have given the impression of a dwindling talent pool were the contents not so delectably varied in theme and approach, and divided judiciously between well-known writers and new names.

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

We got a starred review in Publishers Weekly this week. Hurrah hooray!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:50 am:   

Congrats for the well-deserved praise, Ellen! Will copies be in stores soon?

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:29 am:   

A star in PW! I see more library sales!

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

I offer a hearty congratulations, Ellen! I understand how important such a distinction plays, vis-a-vi sales. This anthology has become an institution that is critical to the genre, and I for one hope to see it continue, with both critical and commercial success well into the future. Thanks for all your (and Ms Windling’s)hard work on this years, and on previous years anthologies.

-jl

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   

I just got my first copy of the trade paperback today so presumably they should be available in a few weeks.

Maureen--I sure hope so <g>

Thank you Mike and Jeremy!

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

And....my other author copies have shown up. The hardcover looks very nice, I think.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   

Borderland Books in San Francisco has their copies in store and on sale! Considering the west coast is always the last to get books, I think I can safely assume that it is on sale everywhere. Everybody should run out and buy a copy right now!

-jl

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 07:22 am:   

Oh good! That means I'll have copies to sign at Armadillocon this weekend (if I get there, considering the neverending thunderstorms that began a few days ago and are projected for at least several more days.)

Mark Shiney
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:50 am:   

Hi Ellen, it's been quite awhile since I last posted to you. I was a writer of network TV animation for Marvel Productions and Hanna-Barbera Studios.<p>I'd sent you a short story I'd written for "The Dark" titled "Eternally Yours" which you passed on. I did an extensive rewrite on the story--and sold it to "Scared Naked" magazine published in NY (it's scheduled to appear in the December'03 issue). I wanted to find out if that publication is on your reading list for YBFH?

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:48 am:   

Hi Mark,
I'm not familiar with Scared Naked. Is it mostly a horror magazine? If so, could you tyr to get the publisher to put me on their comp list? I believe my mailing address is somewhere upstream.
Thanks

Mark Shiney
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   

Ellen, yes,"Scared Naked" is an erotic horror short fiction and poetry print publication.
This is the website's URL: http://scarednakedmagazine.com/main.htm
(Anthony Beal is the editor).

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 08:31 pm:   

Thanks. I've emailed him.

ellen
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:07 pm:   

My mini-novel reviews from last year's volume are now up on my website at:
http://www.datlow.com/writings/rev2002.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register