Original names of Robert Sheckley's s... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Sheckley, Robert » Original names of Robert Sheckley's short stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Serg
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:41 am:   

Ladies and gentlemen, I need your help to determine the original names of some of the Robert Sheckley's short stories. Sometimes Russian publishers and interpreters give to translated books new names that have nothing in common with the original ones. May I ask you to help me in this question, please?

Below is the list with the names of the books that I need to precise. The English titles is a back translation from Russian. To make clear what book I am talking about, each item in this name list is supplied with a short description of the book. Sorry for my rather awkward English :-)

1. "The Return of the Human". The resources of the Earth are exhausted, and the mankind has left home planet a long time ago. But now one man comes back and discovers the civilization of robots.
2. "All in Order" - this story resembles "Minotaur Maze": the free-style interpretation of antic myths. After the shipwreck Ulysses is in Pheakia, he meets the princess Navsikaya and introduces himself as "Irving Spaghetti". Later, the matter concerns about Charon, the Land of the Dead, Orpheus and Euridica etc. It is not easy to retell...
3. "The Selective Memory". God returns to Heaven after a long absence and talks to Archangel Gabriel. Finally, God decides to create a new creature that walks in the morning on four legs, in the midday on two legs and in the evening on three legs - in sensu stricto.
4. "The Spaceship Must Be Launching at Dawn". Spaceship No. 13 is in alert condition and Dale Amber, the boss of the company of cargo transportation, fails to force the astronauts to fly on the Moon. Then John, son of Amber, offer to fly. Amber sees the explosion of the spaceship...
5. "The Red Emperor". Scientists create the artificial intelligence. But the computer talks only about some "Red Emperor". Computer was turned off, but sometimes in corridors of Oregon's University some whisper is heard, and this whisper tells about Red Emperor.
6. "The Place Where Evil Rules" - the war in the Hell! Sharl Bodler, Edgar Allan Poe and other poets vs. marquis de Sade, Leopold von Sacher-Masoch and Gil de Retc.
7. "The Last Word" - this story is written as proclamation. After nuclear war the Earth fall into darkness, but the mankind survived and even created the "society of universal welfare". Now the clouds begin to disappear, and author appeals: "Save the night on Earth! Save our unique society!"
8. "The Radical Method". First the robot pets replaced animal pets, then the robots-friends came into the world. However, the relationships between man and his robots-friends are not easy. But there is one radical method - to marry all your robots...
9. "Robotsville". Robots have founded their own city in Oregon. At first this city was like the humans settlings, but then robots have build in caves absolutely new Robotsville II, and the mankind have discovered that robots have turned into a new civilization
10. "Good Old Time". The rich man named John Sikis creates World of Doubles - the virtual city inhabited by the heroes of the past: Marcus Tullius Cicero, Bakunin, Machiavelly, Kleopatra and others. Later, after his death, Sikis comes himself in this city, but citizens excite rebellion. Finally Caesar, Cicero and Sikis create triumvirat to govern the city.
11. "What is zomboid". This story is written as FAQ about men, who after surgery has lost ability for thinking and feeling, and turns into biological robots - zomboids.

Sincerely yours
Serg Okunishnikov, Russia

kunimon
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 03:54 pm:   

Frankly, none of those ring a bell. Is it possible than a careless editor has added a few non-Sheckley stories to a Sheckley collection? On the other hand, there is a lot of the later years Sheckley stuff that hasn't been collected, so I haven't had the chance to read. Also, there is some stuff that has been published en Europe, but hasn't seen print in English!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 07:31 am:   

Can I post this to a fictionmags group I'm on? They may be able to help.

Serg
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:00 am:   

kunimon,
I believe, that the second variant is most possible. Some of the Sheckley's work were published in Russia directly from handworks, for example "Dimension of Miracles Revisited" and "The Grand Guignol of the Surrealists". Perharps, stories from my list weren't published in USA.

Ellen Datlow,
Yes, it would be fine.

Thank you!

kunimon
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   

"All in Order" could be "City of the Dead", a story told in 3 parts in the Galaxy eZine between January and May, 1994. The three parts were titled: City of the Dead, Weather Sirens, and Perseus. They were collected in 2003 in "Uncanny Tales".

kunimon
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   

"The Place Where Evil Rules" seems to be "Death Freaks", part of the shared world anthology Prophets in Hell, edited by Janet Morris in 1989.

kunimon
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   

"Good Old Time" is either "The Resurrection Machine" or "Simul City", or posibly both put together. Both were part of a shared worlds anthology series edited by Robert Silverberg. "Time Gate" was published in 1989, and "Time Gate 2: Dangerous Interface", in 1990.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:43 pm:   

I've posted to my group and will let you know if anyone there can tell you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register