Looking for rare sheckley story Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Sheckley, Robert » Looking for rare sheckley story « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kunimon
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   

One question for all you Sheckley aficionados: I'm trying to learn the first publication of his story "Charter for Murder". It was reprinted in the UK magazine Short Stories in 1958. Any idea?

-Kuni Mon

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

How do you know that wasn't its first publication? It seems to be so on the Locus database.

kunimon
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:23 pm:   

I can't be 100% sure but, from what I could infer, Short Stories UK was a mainly reprints, mostly from the original American mag of the same name but others too. Also, this contents listing:
http://users.ev1.net/~homeville/fictionmag/t941.htm , features a telling (r) after the entry, which I understand as a "reprint" mark. In any case, it would be surprising that a 50's Sheckley story didnt have a first American publication.

BTW, could you point me where in the locus database did you find a entry for this story? I was unable to find it there!

Regards,
-Ramon

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   

Sorry, that's the same place I saw it--I didn't click on the story itself though so hadn't seen the "r"--yes, that is what I think it means.

kunimon
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

Thanks anyways. In any case, I'm looking for any info on two elusive Sheckley works: "Space Wife" and "Country Caper". They are only mentioned in a couple of Japanese bibliographies, amid lots of other well-known work. They could be alternate titles of his work, but they could also belong to the part of his less-known output that wasn't published on genre magazines and is less knows. He published in mainstream magazines (Collier's, Esquire), adult magazines (Knave, Swank), and mystery magazine (Hitchcock's, The Saint). Do they ring any bell?

-Ramon Pena

kunimon
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   

BTW, all these questions come from me trying to put together a complete bibiliography of Sheckley. My two main sources have been the Locus database and the excellent site http://members.tripod.com/~sheckley/, but I keep finding references to rarer works which aren't even there. I even consulted Mr. Sheckley, some months before his illness, but he apparently never kept a record of his work. At this point this bibliography has well over 300 entries, but I'm missing around 150 works that remain uncollected. Frankly, I'm not going to be able to buy a copy of each magazine or original anthology (usually, only the postage costs more than the individual publications). If anybody feels like to help me (by mailing me xerox copies or even e-mail scans of what I need), well, it would be really appreciated and, of course, any postage expenses would be compensated.

-Ramon Pena

Edward Morris
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 08:43 am:   

Also seeking rare Sheckley story. "The Body Game."
It might be hiding in my shed, but... if not, I will pay top dollar to anyone who can locate me a copy. It's for a friend's graphic-novel project, similar story. I told him he shouldn't write another word before reading TBG.

Even thinking about TBG makes my eyes get misty. Bob saw it coming...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register