Hospital Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Sheckley, Robert » Hospital « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Urell
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   

I'm very worried about him.
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/05/05/sheckleyhospital.shtml

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

As am I. Fingers crossed.

Thomas R.
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   

I hope he pulls through too. He's a neat guy and a good writer. Also I have been on artificial respiration so can sympathize. Best wishes to him and his friends.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   

I don't know Sheckley but I have forwarded this to a couple people who do, and who might not have heard this news. Thanks for posting it here.

Bob Urell
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:07 am:   

Thanks Marc. I, by no means, know all of Bob's friends. If anyone happens to know someone who might like to know what's going on with him, please get the word out. The only articles I found on this were in Russian papers, so I assume that many people aren't even aware of it.

Rhys
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:44 am:   

This is bad news indeed.

But what a great writer!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:04 am:   

It was posted on the sff.net Sfwa BB so a bunch of people do know.

Bob has been a heavy smoker for years so I'm not surprised. It must be terrifying, being in a foreign country and gravely ill.

adam-troy
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:00 am:   

Not much new information, but it's current, and what's there isn't good

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/05/05/sheckleyhospital.shtml

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

But that information is not all that current either.

New news: Sheckley has regained consciousness and is off the respirator.

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

That new news is good news! My mom is a CCRN, and the charge nurse at a intensive cardiac care unit. She told me that when patients are that old, getting them off the respirator safely is often the trickiest part of their care. That Bob's breathing on his own is cause for a little quiet jubilation at my house.

BillH.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

Hey A.T.C.,

Where did you hear "Sheckley has regained consciousness and is off the respirator"?

I'm sure your sources are good ones, but I'd like to read it as well.

Thanks,
Bill

adam-troy castro
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   

Reported, third-hand, in the SFWA topics via Robert Silverberg.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   

More recently, from someone in Kiev:

Bob's daughter Anya arrived. We went to the hospital. Bob seemed to be much better but doctors still cannot predict anything. There is no direct danger to his life. But his lungs are in awful condition.

Regards, Boris

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 04:00 am:   

Thank you, Ellen. I'm going to pass this on to some people who aren't in touch via other means. Thank you too, Adam. I don't have access to the SFWA yet, so all my information was coming fourth-hand....

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

If I hear anything else I'll post it here.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:34 am:   

Thanks to everyone who has posted news regarding Bob. He's a very dear man and an inspiring writer, and I'd hate to think he might get robbed of the chance to personally enjoy his big (and well deserved) honor in Scotland this summer. I'm so happy to hear his condition has improved.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 11:39 am:   

Thursday May 12 2005 @ 11:07AM BST
Anya Sheckley writes from Kiev:

Dad gets just a little better each day, though I expect it will be many weeks before he will be able to fly home. Still unable to breathe on his own for more than a few minutes and still very weak. I can feel his frustration in wanting to talk and not being able and wanting to write but being too weak to hold the pen.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

Ellen---

Thank you for relaying these posts.

Has Anya said if there's any way we can send good wishes to Bob so he'll get them?

BillH.
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

"Dad gets just a little better each day"
Yay, Bob!!!
Thanks, Ellen

Bob Urell
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Gordon,
I've just been sending notes through his regular e-mail address. The new Yahoo one, not the AOL one. I figure it's better than nothing, and he can read them at whatever point when he's well enough, I guess.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   

Gordon,
Here's a fan board that I found that seems to have the most updated news:
http://www.plokta.com/pnn/stories.php?story=05/05/06/7887310

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   

This is from Boris in Kiev. He's given me permisson to pass on all his updates about Bob:

Tomorrow we will open two accounts in local bank (one for USD and another for UAH) to Anya Sheckley's name. Some people from Moscow, Italy and Israel already started collecting money. We hope everything will run ok. We will probably run some activities like auctions, etc. to fundrise, or maybe (we hope) there will appear a Sheckley fan who has enough money to cover his medical expenses. Anyway we will not leave Bob and Anya alone.

Bob is getting stronger. He breathed on his own for over 2 hours today. Today the doctors already dare to make predictions. In 3-5 days they hope Bob will breathe on his own all the time. In 5 days he will have enough power to stand on his feete and make little walks.

Bob Urell
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 07:43 pm:   

Oh, that's cool. Keep 'em coming, Ellen! I'd like to know more about the bank accounts.

Terry Petta
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Robert Sheckley is one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time. His story "The Store of the Worlds" is one of the finest pieces of fiction ever written. The man ranks as one of the great writers, period, not just as a genre author. I wish him and his family all the best, and hope that the SFWA has seen fit to honor this giant of the field as a Grand Master. He is, and will always remain, my favorite writer, bar none. Anyone who doubts the sheer enormity of his talent should read "A Ticket to Tranai", "Pilgrimage to Earth" or any of the almost 200 excellent stories this man has gifted us with. It seems a shame that most of his awesome talent lies buried in rare, out-of-print collections. I hope some publisher will rectify this situation in the near future with an accessible, affordable "Best Of". Not for me, as I have collected most of his work in cheap paperbacks, moldy magazines and otherwise neglected anthologies, but for the general science fiction reading public, who need to be educated about the stunning work of this staggering genius. The thought of this man passing on without receiving the gratitude and acclaim of several generations of science fiction readers saddens me.

Cheers, Bob. And thanks for all the laughs and the tears. Come home soon. Portland needs you.

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 07:19 am:   

...and hope that the SFWA has seen fit to honor this giant of the field as a Grand Master.

Not yet.

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 04:37 am:   

The excellent Berry Sizemore, of Multiverse.org fame, has created a PayPal account for donations to help take care of the massive hospital bills that Bob can't take care of on his own. Won't you help by Sending Bob Some Love?

BillH.
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

Good News!
According to the Russian News Agency Novosti:

"SCIENCE FICTION WRITER SHECKLEY TO FLY HOME

27/05/2005 16:07

KIEV, May 27 (RIA Novosti) - The famous American science fiction writer Robert Sheckley, who has spent a month in a private hospital in Kiev, will fly home today.

His doctors in Kiev said he had a serious respiratory disease and his current state was not satisfactory, but he can take the flight back home to the US.

Sheckley was to fly on Thursday but the departure was delayed by problems with the plane.

It has transpired that Ukrainian businessman Viktor Pinchuk, the son-in-law of the former Ukrainian president Leonid Kuchma, paid for the hospital treatment and flight of the SF writer.

Robert Sheckley, aged 76, came to Kiev in mid-April for a forum of science fiction writers. Three days later he was rushed to a private hospital with "progressing respiratory failure."

When it turned out that the writer had lost his medical insurance card and could not pay for his stay in hospital, the publishing house My Computer pledged to act as the guarantor and the writer's relatives appealed to his fans around the world for help via the Internet.

The insurance company whose policy Sheckley lost did not react to the news about his illness and the loss of insurance policy."
http://en.rian.ru/culture/20050527/40428770.html

Yay!!!
BillH.

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:37 am:   

Yeah, but Bob's still going to need ongoing care, and his family will still need help from those fans and friends who have the means.
Pony up

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:52 am:   

Hello all
I would like offer to you some links
Please, tell Mr. Sheckley something good
--> http://www.sheckley.com/phpBook/guestbook.php
M. Moorcock (discussion)
http://www.multiverse.org/postt2526.html
Robert Sheckley Relief Drive
http://www.multiverse.org/postx2575-0-0.html
Best Regards

Berry Sizemore
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Bob,

This is Berry Sizemore. I noticed that you updated the Sheckley PayPal link to the correct one. But a post earlier in the thread has preserved my PayPal account info. Would you please update that link or delete it. Google is picking it up and I don't want to get any random donations. If you don't mind. I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,
Berry

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 08:26 am:   

You spammers are ghouls, leaving your offal on a message board devoted to a beloved and deceased writer like Bob Sheckley. What the hell do you hope to accomplish by pissing people off? I'll never understand it. My public email address gets dozens of "Enlarge Your Penis" and "Buy Discount Software" spam messages every single DAY. There is no possibility I'll ever open one of those messages, much less send them any money. I'd like to strangle each sender with his own steaming intestines. So what the hell do any of you hope to gain by all this???

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register