Budd Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, K.J. » Budd « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 09:19 pm:   

KJ: I dug up another Harold Budd. A CD called La Bella Vista. Have you seen this one? I think he's playing a Steinway on it instead of the usual synthesizer. Plenty of those nice haunting notes to crawl into and dream up sentences and stories inside of.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 01:43 am:   

Jeff,

Thanks! I haven't seen this one. His stuff is really hard to find over here. I have to order it. I listened to the samples on Amazon and liked it heaps.

I always thought it was an actual piano he played, but put through all kinds of electronic treatment so that it sounds like a really good synth...

Neddal
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

Kirsten, Jeff - from a music mailout thing I get -

HAROLD BUDD & ERALDO BERNOCCHI-Music for Fragments From the Inside CD (Sub Rosa/SR239) $20.99
Recorded live on what can only be assumed was a warm and expansive Italian night, 'Fragments From The Inside' sees the coming together of incredible Pianist / ambient master Harold Budd (several wonderful collaborations with Brian Eno on his resume) and long-time Bill Laswell collaborator Eraldo Bernochhi, with Music For Fragments From The Inside. Music For Fragments... unfurls with loquacious grace; a fact that is cemented on the opening 'One'. So whilst in the foreground a beautiful Benno Moiseiwistshca-esque piano part is allowed time to languidly gather momentum, on the fringes Bernocchi punctures the ambient membrane with buckshot's of garbled digitalis that create a thrilling juxtaposition which comes off a treat. Elsewhere, 'Four' assumes a similar perspective (albeit with the machines winning round two) to the opening composition, 'Six' betters Jenkinson's 'Iambic 9 Poetry', whilst 'Two' is a laustrophobic coalition of fidgeting beats and classical flourishes. Closi!ng with the slow burn marathon of (you guessed it) 'Seven', Bernocchi and Budd have created a soothing aural balm that whilst undoubtedly honeyed, has enough piquant bite to keep your head engaged. Amazing music. key points * long awaited new album by Harold Budd who is considering as an 'ambient pioneer' * a top-of-the-range meeting between the lightness of Harold Budd piano and Eraldo Bernocchi deep electronics * music for Palazzio ! no doubt, a 5***** record
EAN:5 411867 112396

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

Thanks, Neddal! I'd heard that Budd wasn't going to record any more studio albums. If that was ever true, I'm glad he changed his mind.

I've discovered a beautiful album, 'Duality' by Lisa Gerrard (formerly of Dead Can Dance) and Pieter Bourke. Wonderful vocals, with a Middle Eastern feel to some of the songs; reminds me a bit of Loreena McKennitt, though darker and less folky. I feel like I've come about ten years late to Gerrard, but better late than never, I guess.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register