New editions of Etched City Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, K.J. » New editions of Etched City « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 12:25 am:   

It's my very happy pleasure to announce two new editions of The Etched City, one from Bantam in the US and one from Moc Knjige in Serbia. Many thanks to Juliet Ulman at Bantam, and to Mia Zivkovic who translated the Serbian edition, and Zoran Zivkovic who facilitated its publication.

Here is the Bantam edition: EC Bantam

And the Serbian one, which reproduces part of the Prime cover, extending the lifespan of that image for a little longer...: EC Serbia

Mr. The Denby
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 09:56 am:   

I just picked up the Bantam edition. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I am already hooked!

Zoran
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   

The honor is entirely mine, Kirsten.

Mike S.
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 02:34 pm:   

Hi Kirsten,

The new edition looks great. I noticed that it doesn't seem to be easy to find on Amazon.com, however. It shows up if you search by ISBN, but if you search by your name and the title, there's only the Prime edition and the e-book.

Or maybe it's me.

Anyway, if anyone's looking for it on Amazon.com, here's the IBSN: 0553382918, and here's the page:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553382918/qid%3D1102372400/sr%3D11-1/ref %3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-4754053-5916144

Mike

ben peek
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   

your name looks really cool in serbian.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   

Mike:

You need to click on the link for other editions, see all editions, and then it shows up. It should be easier. I'm very tempted to pick up the Bantam edition, even though I already have the Prime edition. :-)

JK

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 07:17 pm:   

Mr. The Denby - thanks for writing! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

Ben - everything looks cool in Serbian...

Mike and John - John's right about how you find it, but I'm not happy that the Bantam edition doesn't show up on first click. I'll try and get Amazon to fix the problem. Thanks for pointing it out, Mike.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 07:36 pm:   

I was wondering if the Bantam edition was out yet.
I was just looking for it on Amazon a few days ago and couldn't find it, so I assumed it was still a few months away. At least it's out in time for Christmas shopping.

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 04:12 am:   

Kirsten,

That Bantam cover's fantastic - and you already know what I think about your own marvelous artwork.

And everything really does look cool in Serbian.

Congratulations.

Trent

Jonathan Stephens
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:13 am:   

Hi Kirsten,

Just thought I'd pop into this forum to say hi. Curiously enough, I just received the Serbian Edition (and Polaris issues for which you did the fabulous artwork) yesterday and I love the back cover image of Gwynn! My eldest (Rachel) thinks it looks like a Yu-Gui-Oh trading card and has taken to calling him 'Dark Magical Swordsman'!

Should be reading your story in 'Leviathan 4' by now, but oh no, I just had to buy the Limited Edition and I have no idea when that will see the light of day! Somewhat pissed with the delays, but oh well, I'll get over it.

all the best,

Jonathan

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:28 am:   

Today, I was able to do something in Pittsburgh I haven't been able to do for many years: I went into a bookstore and actually found the exact book I was looking for (Etched City). Normally, if I'm lucky, I find something after checking several stores, but more often, I need to order online. It was a nice feeling. I wish I could do it more often.

Mike S.
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Robert, have you tried http://www.bordersstores.com/index.jsp ? It's a pretty good way to check inventory at Border's from the comfort of home or work.

(Yeah yeah yeah, Borders is a big chain, blah blah blah.)

And of course, you could always call ahead. :-)

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   

Trent - thanks, mate! I wonder if English looks really uncool. An Egyptian guy told me he thinks the Roman alphabet looks boring compared to Arabic, which I can't argue with.

Robert - knowing the book is in regular bookstores gives me quite an unreal feeling!

Jonathan - Hi! Gwynn says Rachel has very astutely worked out who he really is. The Leviathan sig sheets are done, so it shouldn't be much longer...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 01:14 pm:   

Mike, I haven't tried that site. Thanks. But Borders is rather out of my way. Sadly, Barnes & Nobles is the only big bookstore I can reach easily. I haven't found a way to check their inventory online.

Oh, I almost forgot. It was in the "Mainstream Fiction" section of B&N.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   

i reckon english looks uncool. take that letter from the tax department i got... very uncool. if it'd been in, say, serbian, i wouldn't have understood a word and it owuld've been pretty, which would just have been much nicer all round.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Ben - that's fricken' hilarious. I mean, the way you put it is hilarious. You should write back to them in Easter Island script, just to remind them of the cool thing to do.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 04:55 pm:   

they'd probably have me put into a detention camp.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   

I's my pleasure to announce that the Spanish edition of The Etched City is now out, from publisher Bibliopolis, with a lovely cover:
http://www.bibliopolis.org/editorial/bibliofan/ciudadgrabado.htm

my picture

The cover is by none other than Alphonse Mucha, whose poster for 'Job' cigarettes was one of the inspirations for the character of Beth.
The image alludes to the dream scene with the tower and the white ravens (William Sharp's white ravens, that I 'borrowed').
Silly as it perhaps sounds, I feel quite thrilled to have a Mucha cover.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:31 pm:   

KJ: No skulls? Looks great. Congrats!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   

Hey KJ,
I was just at the Mucha Museum in Prague a few weeks ago.
Beautiful cover.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 09:23 am:   

Jeff - the skulls are inside the tower; someone made 'em into table lamps.

Ellen - you're making me long for old Europe. (The mere mention of Prague tends to do that, and I've never even been there!)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 11:15 am:   

Prague was disappointing in some ways. It no longer feels like old Europe, except for the buildings, which are magnificent.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:16 am:   

Kirsten, the cover is beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Kracow (did I spell it right?). I've convinced myself that city would be old Europe.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:10 am:   

Krakow (I forget the spelling) is a nice town. I was there a couple of years ago. Cobblestone streets (Prague has a lot of those in the central part of the city, too).

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   

Geoff - looks like you'd better go to Kracow before it goes the way of Prague.

Ellen - where else did you go that was nice?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   

Rome had the best food. Venice was very pretty.
I always love London and try to get there once a year (although I don't have time this year).

I'm coming back to NZ and Oz this spring/summer, you know :-)

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:46 pm:   

I'm in Bangkok :-) Stu and I have decided to stay here for the rest of the year. Next year we think we'll stay a while in France, so any tips would be much appreciated. I've found a good website for Paris rentals, but we certainly couldn't afford to stay there all year - not in the nicer parts, anyway, so we'll probably do a couple of months in Paris and then move to a smaller city.
Tunisia is also tempting. I know Glenda Larke lived there - overlooking the ruins of Carthage! - so I must ask her about it.

I've been to Rome and Venice, and loved them both, but next time would go in the off season. Venice in particular was very hectic.
But I've got a bit of a fetish for the Venetian bauta, so I'd still be tempted to brave the carnival crowds and go in February.

You must have eaten better in Rome than we did. Or it could be that I'm just not that fond of Italian food. I ended up living off gelato. 'Quanti gusti per coppetta' is the only Italian I can remember.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:20 pm:   

Kirsten,
We couldn't find a decent meal in Venice. In Rome, we couldn't find a bad meal. But yes, the gelato yum yum!!!! I think I was in Venice in the winter. I would stay more in the center of things than where we did though. I didn't care for our hotel.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   

We stayed fairly near the middle of town, in a pensione. It was ok, but expensive for what it was - like everything in Venice.

Bangkok is - or was - known as the Venice of Asia, but these days a lot of the canals have been cut off by property developments and have turned into swamps full of trash, sewage, dead chickens, etc. But the ones that still run to the river and have water taxis make a great alternative to the roads.

It's pretty hard to find a bad meal here, too.
And there are quite a few gelato places. Homemade, too. Not quite the assortment of creamy decadent flavours as in Italy, but that's probably no bad thing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register