UK Etched City Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, K.J. » UK Etched City « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 11:53 am:   

Well, the UK and Commonwealth edition of The Etched City will be out in a few weeks, so I thought I'd put up a preview of the cover (hope this works, fingers crossed...)

EC cover

The book can be pre-ordered from:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1405041609/202-1027445-2288618

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

Kick. Ass.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:30 pm:   

Eventhough there are no skulls, that's still a damn nice cover.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 01:58 am:   

now that there is a funky cover. do you know who it is by?

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 02:53 pm:   

That's lovely artwork. The font is a bit iffy, though. . . .

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:38 pm:   

I personally liked the Beardsleyesque elements of the Prime cover, but this is also very nice.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:57 pm:   

it's been bugging me, but i finally figured out who this art reminds be of: jose villarrubia.

he's mainly done american comic work that i've seen, so it's probably not him, but it reminds me a fair bit of his work.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

I agree with GabrielM. I liked your initial cover, but this one is nice too.

KJ
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

I have to say, I'm flattered by how much people like the Prime cover, given that I did it myself! I've asked again who did this one - hopefully they'll tell me this time, if only to shut me up.
Ben - I've seen Villarrubia's work. I'd be surprised if it's him, though I can see the similarity.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:16 pm:   

yeah, it's the wings that remind me of his work.

did you ever read a comic called HELLSHOCK? didn't go for very long, and never finished, but it had beautiful art by jae lee, and the colours (and i think inks) were done by villarrubia. the end result was something that looks nothing like that cover, but for some reason, just the sight of it brings back the memory of the comic which must be about four or five years old now.

Geoff Maloney
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 09:50 pm:   

Wow, Kirsten - the Angel of Death image finally burst through - Very different to your original cover but still very nice

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 04:07 am:   

Kirsten,

it is a lovely cover, very cool. Still think yours is best though.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 10:06 am:   

OH MY GOD. That is such a bloody cool cover. Wow. I'd be interested to hear who did it as well.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

What you should do is something much cooler than a t-shirt: an illustrated version of the book, and you can put the original cover in to that.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   

kirsten: the artist for hellshock, jae lee, is one of those rare and distinctive guys. it's a shame he doesn't do more of his own work, but works on superhero comics like INHUMANS and TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE.

still, maybe it's for the best. he did two HELLSHOCK series, and never finished either.

(oh, and i did like the original cover to THE ETCHED CITY as well.)

KJ
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:20 am:   

Ben - I wish I'd kept my comics, now. I threw them all out when I was in a space-saving mood, and Hellshock sadly went out with the rest.

Jason - hey, thanks, man. By the way, speaking of art, I've just discovered you're engaged to Janet J.E. Chui. Unreal! I remember her from a newsgroup we both hung out on, years ago. The fairy picture of hers you showed Michael Bishop reminds me of Ida Rentouil Outhwaite, one of my favourite artists. On her site I particularly love the pictures of Crowley and Aziraphale, and Otis Onion Mudbottle.

Robert - that illustrated version is a pipe dream of mine... but when Bantam and Tor UK bought rights, they bought all the book rights. So one of them would have to agree to it. But if I wanted to get grandiose - not just a pipe dream but a seven-foot Egyptian party bong dream - I could have an Etched City artbook, like they make artbooks of films. Actually, what I see is a Great Big Artbook, with not just me but many writers, each of us getting a few pages of stunning book-related artwork.
I must stop smoking so much imaginary pot.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:29 pm:   

Imaginary pot is fun, man. Heh heh.

Hey cool, KJ, I didn't know you knew Janet. This really is a small world. The two of us met at Clarion in 2002 and we'll be getting married sometime at the beginning of 2004. She did all the illustrations and book design for the chapbook we premiered at World Fantasy: Four Seasons in One Day, and she made it more beautiful than I could have dreamed.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:05 pm:   

you should become a hoarder like me, kirsten. although i don't call it hoarding, i call ti amassing one look reference file of junk, books, comics, music, strange anything, odd musical instruments, the bones of children, and the occasional animal which i let roam free, much to the disgust of others. but it all has a purpose. i swear.

M. Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

Let me note immediately that I like this cover a lot before adding a very tentative "but" (the sort that always seem to cancel out the praise that goes before); namely, the winged guy on the stairs bears more than a faint resemblance to a former notorious member of the Jackson Five.

That said, I hope to see the cover that you did, Kirsten, for the Prime edition and eventually to read the novel itself. In any event, thanks for posting this one.

KJ
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:41 am:   

Ben - you've got bones of children? I'm jealous! <pouts>

Jason - I'm sure Janet wouldn't remember me (it was ages ago, and I think I posted under a pseudonym) but her name just stayed in my mind. I'm sure it's good to have a name that stays in people's minds! I can't believe I missed seeing the chapbook at WF. It looks gorgeous. I'll be emailing you about ordering a copy.

Michael - Lol! Actually, they tell me it's a woman on the stairs. Personally, I think it looks like a cross between the male and female leads. She's black, he's white, and he's bad, he's bad... but while he does sometimes sport a kerchief over his lower face, he has his own nose and chin.
My Prime cover is online here:
http://www.kjbishop.net/art/tecover.html
I also sketched Raule, the female lead:
http://www.kjbishop.net/art/tecart.html

KJ
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

Yikes, I hope the above post doesn't make it sound like I'm dissing the picture. I love it, I really do.
It's funny; when I was writing the book I felt there was sometimes a fluidity between the characters, as though they weren't entirely separate individuals. There was a sense that there were aspects of each other. So it's as though that has come through in the illustration.
After my initial moment of worry, I thought it was so cool that I didn't want to change it. It was as though all the characters nodded their heads and said, 'Yeah, we like this!'

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   

KJ,

Oh wow! This is a *beautiful* ethereal cover! The nature of its beauty is different from the classic graphic-line beauty of the original cover that you designed, but both work in their own ways.

Congratulations!! :-)

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 03:21 pm:   

kirsten, yes, the bones of children. it's best not to explain how i got them, but i assure you it was... well, lets face it, not perfectly legal. anyhow: the bones make great mobiles that you can hang from the ceiling. a bit of the old mumbo jumbo, and you can actually use them to tell the futures. sometimes the designs are pretty, too, unlike the children they once were.

(i've really got to stop posting here before breakfast.)

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 04:03 pm:   

Hey Kirsten

Thought the UK cover looked great. Looks a little like something done by Ashley Wood - the guy who did the cover of the US edition of PERDIDO STREET STATION.

Jonathan

M. Bishop
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

Thanks for posting the online addresses for your Prime cover and the sketch of Raule. Good stuff. I especially like the Art Nouveau style of your cover.

All best, Mike

Gareth
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 05:12 pm:   

Funny, thought the image of the face looks a lot like a certain author I could name,lol.

KJ
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   

Vera, Jonathan and Michael - thanks!

Gareth - I'm not sure about the face, but I'd say the wings look like mine.

I've found out that it was done by a company called Blacksheep, but I don't know the actual artist. So, a great many thanks to Blacksheep.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:42 am:   

I'd say your wings look a whole better than that. Metaphysically speaking, of course.

Kirsten
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   

Awww...

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:31 am:   

Thought I had seen the UK cover of The Etched City somewhere else, and today found where I'd seen it while boxing the books.

Check this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340767979/

Wonder where she had picked up the hat.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

Thanks for telling me, Montmorency!

You're not going to believe this, but that's actually the third one. There's another book here in Australia with the same picture, too...

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:06 pm:   

Actually, that book on Amazon is dated May 2000, and its a hardcover, so it probably isn't available in too many places now. I wonder if the picture has been used anywhere else... It's almost weirdly appropriate - it's like she really is the sphinx woman, showing herself through copies of her image...
Maybe I should have a 'spot the winged woman' competition...

Tessa
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:37 am:   

Ah, so I wasn't crazy for thinking someone had stolen your cover....

*thinks it shall be confusing, given that Panmacmillian has a release set for next week here*

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register