That Shock of Recognition Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » That Shock of Recognition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

I kept thinking that Elrond looked familiar and my daughter said it was because Hugo Weaving was also Mr. Smith in The Matrix but I thought it was something else in the past.

Then I saw Priscilla, Queen of the Desert again and there he was again, Hugo Weaving, looking lovely in heels. And shit, there was Guy Pearce, looking even more lovely without a shirt. I must not have know who these guys were when I first saw that film.

I want my brain to organize the information a little better.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 08:52 am:   

And of course the other gentleman in Priscilla is Terrance Stamp from The Limey, etc.

JK

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Hi, John! Oh good. I can disagree about movies and you'll still speak to me, unlike a friend who holds it against me that I hated Titanic.

Terrance Stamp was surprisingly pretty. I knew who he was but had never thought of him as pretty before. I want to do makeovers at the next con I'm at. Maybe World Fantasy.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

I'm sorry, but I'll always think of Terence Stamp as General Zod from Superman II. It's hard to see him in a dress and high heels. And if you blinked, you missed him in Star Wars II: Attack of the Rampaging Ego of George Lucas.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   

Yeah, no grudges. I can't pretend for a second that there is one creative endeavor that everyone likes. Since it was mentioned, I enjoyed watching the ship sink in the theater, I thought that was well-done special effects. The rest of the film: crap.

I always like finding actors I like now (or at least actors in movies I like now) and recognizing them in an older film later. Like Viggo Mortenson in WITNESS. Yup, he was Amish before he was king.

Makeovers would be great fun...on someone else. Although, if Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce, and Terrence Stamp can make pretty women, maybe me too, eh? (you jut go ahead and try!) Pearce may have the body for it, but his face is lacking. Now Johnny Depp, there's someone who could play a very attractive woman without much work.

JK

LeslieWhat
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

Jason, I might have slept through that part. I can't remember any of the actors in SWII.

Makeovers don't have to include crossdressing and eyeshadow, though I have to admit those are the funnest parts. You can achieve a lot with Groucho glasses and hair gel.

Ellen
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:26 am:   

Leslie,
If you ever watch Billy Budd you'll see Terence Stamp in one of his earliest movie roles and he was beautiful. You can see how beautiful he was in the "flashback" in The Limey, which is in fact an excerpt from the movie Poor Cow.

I first saw Guy Pearce in LA Confidential so was pretty shocked when I saw him in Priscilla.... a few years later (on video). And since I thought I was seeing Hugo Weaving for the first time in The Matrix I was also shocked to see him in Priscilla...

But also, I've come to realize that I saw both Hugo Weaving and Russell Crowe far earlier than their first US roles: Weaving and Crowe in Proof and Crowe also in Romper Stomper both terrific Australian films. All of which convinces me that they're really fine, versatile actors and that they've been paying their dues for a long time in so-called little movies.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:38 pm:   

hugo weaving is also in a film called THE INTERVIEW, which i reckon is a really neat, twisting little thriller. worth watching if you can find it, as it is an australian film. (but one of the better ones.)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:51 pm:   

Ben, agree that THE INTERVIEW is pretty great. You seen, IN THE WINTER DARK?

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:59 pm:   

lucius, no, i haven't seen it. i had a quick look through the imdb, but it didn't say much, other than that tim winton was involved in a 'story' way, which in itself can be a drawback. but it needn't be. worth checking out, you reckon?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:20 am:   

Yeah, Ben, I kind of liked it. Terrific actors movie. Kind of Conradian darkness in rural AUstralia....

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:21 pm:   

I hope I can remember the names of these films for when I have time to watch movies. Thanks for the pointers.

It shames me but I can't remember if I read Billy Budd or saw the movie. Either way, it was in high school.

Speaking of high school, my reunion web site is up and it turns out Kevin Costner attended our senior year. I hated high school (except for reading/watching Billy Budd) and had enough credits to get out at the end of my junior year, so I never ran into him. But I wish I had the yearbook to sell on eBay.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration