The Strawbs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » The Strawbs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   

I'm having a seventies moment while everyone else is out of town or in college. Last night I played The Strawbs "Hero and Heroine" album. It's still good. Today I looked them up on the web and learned that The Acoustic Strawbs is now touring but they aren't coming any further west than Ohio.

The good news is that some of their work has been released on CD. The bad news is I could only find a compilation BEST OF, which means I can never buy another Strawbs CD or I'll get repeats. I hate that.

I also bought used CDs by Steely Dan and "Fragile" by Yes (don't seem to be any used Strawbs). I think I've entered the phase of life where I will listen to music as I write. It seems to be working, except that I can't hear the phone ring. Er, uhm. Maybe that's a good thing.

Matthew Martens
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:46 am:   

hi leslie -- nice to see somebody looking into -- or back at -- the prog-rockers of the 70s. always an area of interest for me, too. anyway, the strawbs' cds can be had, mostly as imports, from little progressive rock mail-order companies. here in the states i'd recommend a company out in california called synphonic, run by a gent named greg walker. here's a link to his store's England page, on which you'll find lots of strawbs:

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/england.htm

hope that helps!

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:31 am:   

Thanks, Matthew! I did find a site in England but you had to call to place the order, so it's good to know about this site.

Someday the question I've always wanted answered will be: Is Dave Cousins the one with the bleached hair streak?

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 04:37 pm:   

You have a place to stay in Ohio.

Which Steely Dan CDs? I have everything except <i>You've Got To Walk Like You Talk It<i> but my favorite is probably <i>Katy Lied<i>.

My son has been playing lots of Yes and my husband has been playing lots of Doors and I've been craving Jethro Tull. Maybe it's some sort of reaction to pollin?

Ellen
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:32 pm:   

I adore Jethro Tull but haven't played any lately. I've been listening mostly to jazz and roots music lately.

I did get Greg Frost to burn a CD for me of Lori Lieberman's two record albums that I've for years. She is the first singer I heard do "Killing Me Softly" --in Greenwich Village in the mid-seventies and she was fabulous. Had a great voice. I looked her up on the web and there's a website but neither of the two albums I wanted were for sale, which is why I don't feel at all guilty having Greg make the cds for me. Kathy Goonan is also a Lori Lieberman fan so Greg made her a copy as well.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

My one Jethro Tull live concert might have been the highlight of my life. I think that was the first time I got hot for a man in tights. Oh wait. I forgot about the ballet.

Maureen, when do you have time off? I'd love to come out and sneak down to Yellow Springs for a lunch with Slayer. We should write stuff in our off time. (Steely Dan=Cheap Thrills)

I stopped having music in my life for many years so it's pretty exciting to welcome it back. Will try Lori Lieberman. Thanks for the tip, Ellen. Kathy will be in Seattle during Westercon! Oh boy! We're sneaking out for a beer.

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:47 am:   

I'm off for all of August, Leslie.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

We're waiting to learn if Slayer will be home at all this summer. If he does it will be in August. If he doesn't, maybe I could come after the Willamette Writers Conference (August 8_10). I suppose there are better places to plan than in this newsgroup....

Gregory Feeley
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 04:24 am:   

Hey, we haven't heard from Slayer either.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:35 am:   

Slayer is working as a security guard on campus. He never writers, he never calls.

I guess this is now a child update. The Kid is home for summer and I now suspect my filing system isn't as useful as I'd hoped for. I basically toss everything: receipts, contracts, plane tickets, into a paper bag that sits atop my file cabinet and at some point in my life think about filing.

Only The Kid thought the paper bag held recyclables. She took my book contract copy and made notes on the back of the signature page about all the places where she wanted to apply for work, and lots of little doodles and flowers. It was alarming to discover this. I think we handled it as well as could be expected.

The new system will have a paper bag sitting atop the filing cabinet with BOLD letters made by black marker saying "RECORDS". It has yet to be initiated.

Liz Hand
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:18 pm:   

Leslie -- I love the Strawbs. They were, or are, playing about an hour from here, in the middle of Nowehere, Maine (actually in Unity, Maine) but I don't have a babysitter, alas! Is HERO AND HEROINE the album with the beautiful song cycle about the seasons? I love that piece and haven't been able to find it on CD, and lost my vinyl copy. Alas again. I bought a compilation album that's pretty good but not great, called HALCYON DAYS.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:48 pm:   

Hi, Liz.

Part of that album is on my compilation. It has Autumn, which includes the Heroine's Theme, Deep Summer's Sleep, and The Winter Long (the hold onto me song). It doesn't have the one about sex and death, and my fave on the album: Out in the Cold.

The URL that Mathew posted above did list the full CD of Hero and Heroine. It's spendy. This one "The Best of Strawbs" was $12.99.

I have the thought that the next time I sell something in Brittain I should take some of my payment in Strawbs CDs.

liz
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:54 am:   

Thanks, Leslie -- I'll check it out!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration