Pizza in Oregon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » Pizza in Oregon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob K.
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   

Okay, I've got a bone to pick. I was killing time here and I saw you badmouthed pizza in Oregon. You don't know pizza in Oregon till you've done the shrimp pesto and toasted almond along with a pint of porter at Papandreas' in Sisters (a mere hour and a half to the east of you!). Now, I'm not saying Papandreas' is what it used to be circa 1980, when the meat-lovers special was a quarter foot of high-quality linguica, pepperoni, and spiced burger, but the shrimp pesto is still the shit!

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:07 am:   

It's difficult to express a strong opinion without offending SOMEONE.

Corroboration is needed to get me to drive to Sisters for the pizza. Anyone else had it who can vouch? Also, shrimp is too traife for the spouse though I'm content to believe that shrimp chew their own cuds. Maybe if I fold and go with the spouse for the fishing trip on the Metolius we could check it out. I do sort of like the frozen kosher New York pizza we can sometimes get at Albertsons.

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   

Now I feel marginalized by your emphasis on someone, so maybe I am that someone, perpetually offended.

Y'know, I thought about the Kosher thing just after I posted. Maybe they have another pie amenable to your husband. Twenty years ago, I would have guaranteed it, but they followed the predictable, sad decline that follows on popularity in the pizza biz. Another Oregon pizzeria that used to be great is Paola's, located in Boring and in Sandy on 26 just as you head into town going east. They used to have a great oyster pizza, but it's not so good anymore. And the point for you is probably moot, oyster not being Kosher enough for even most non-Jews I know. If you like thick-crust pizzas, though, give them a try.

Bob
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   

Rob and Sue Alexander should be able to vouch for Papandrea's (I had the apostrophe in the wrong place) -- they live in Vida -- and Alex Lamb of Cambridge, England. If he can make the trip, you can. Now, what's this about "folding" to go to the Metolius? That's one of the best trout streams in the state! Why did you move to Oregon?

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:56 am:   

Look, I don't care that some people think fishing is an interactive sport but I grew up in Southern California and for me, fishing is sitting on the Newport pier at night and dropping a line and smoking and drinking and talking to the other night fisherfolk and never catching anything.

I'm not the kind of person who will ever tie her own flies. I'll fish, but only if I don't have to do anything.

Okay. I now think we should go to Sisters for Pizza and trout. If there's a bookstore I can make it a business trip.

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Yeah, there's at least one bookstore and a couple art galleries, bakeries, clothing stores, and an ice cream shop. Funky little stores come and go. There was a decent comics shop there once, but I think it's long gone, and one that sold Warner Bros. animation cells, which was just strange. My folks owned a second home there for about five years. There's a neat little cave network on the edge of town called Skylight Cave. The skylights are little rocky outcrops of lava -- the remains of fumaroles -- with a hole in the middle, a few inches to a few feet across, that open at the top of chambers about twenty feet high. A big hole from a collapsed chamber serves as the entrance, and you take a metal ladder down. If you really like caves, though, spend the extra hour and go to the caves southeast of Bend. There are about half a dozen big ones, from neat hobbit-hole-type caves with flat, sandy floors to huge caverns filled with SUV-sized boulders.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register