MFA Barbie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » MFA Barbie « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:36 am:   

MFA Barbie says, "Writing is Hard."

I just need to sign on the dotted line and I'll be off to start an MFA program at Pacific University. I'm trying not to go just so I can say I graduated from P.U.

steve redwood
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

I make my periodic check up on you, and what do I find??!!

"A major problem for young writers, these days, Margaret Atwood says, is that they have all their interestingness ironed out by writing courses." (Guardian newspaper, today)

I do so hope that you mean you will be teaching THEM!

Repent now! Send me the money instead!

I spotted that you have a book of short stories out somewhere, but I can't remember where. Remind us. And available in England?

LeslieWhat
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:42 am:   

Steve, I don't see why it isn't available in England. It's "The Sweet and Sour Tongue". I really want to publish another collection. Reading Cory Doctorow's article about e-publishing makes me think I should put up a free PDF file instead of waiting for someone to put out a collection.

I am not a young writer (although I'm younger than say, Saul Bellow:-) and I don't iron anything, especially if it's interesting -- unless it's an iron-on decal -- so I think I'm safe, unless my interestingness is an iron-on decal. The MFA will give me the credentials to teach, though I think there's plenty I can learn.

But I do appreciate the concern and if anyone notices my work stops being interesting, please consider doing an intervention and getting me out of school.

red steve
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   

Discovered - supposedly on sale in our big WH Smiths chain stores (but so was Suzy Karnas's 'Vampire Tapestry', and in the end, zilch!) We'll see.

Dunno - do people really read fiction on the net? Apart fronm th e occasional story, of course?

Ah well, if you need the bits of paper to teach, I forgive you.

Your final plea noted, and, if necessary,action will be taken!!

Trent
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

The major problem with MFAs, according to those accoladed who teach them, is that writers try to answer all the questions that readers/critiquers have (which is the same complaint some editors have about Clarion stories, btw).

Congratulations on getting in! (now knock 'em dead)

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   

Okay, so it's a pyramid scheme, with more and more programs developing to train armies of writers, most of whom will get jobs at MFA programs training future armies. Nobody questions whether we need so many writers, but OTOH, there aren't any laws preventing folks from getting a degree in philosophy.

I really like teaching. I like writing. I have long wished I could have had the opportunity to return to school. What's not to like?

steve r
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:51 am:   

Wait till you get your first essay.... (sound of hideous cackling laughter)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register