The Changeling Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » The Changeling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trent
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

This story rocked. Great first line and this:

"In the morning we had sex and it was good."

Not sure if it surpasses the ghost story as my favorite, but it's awful damn close. Thanks for the read.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

I have to second Trent's thoughts, amazing stuff. I'm finally getting around to all my zines/magazines and I'm sorry I waited so long to find this one (in LCRW).

JK

LeslieWhat
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:18 pm:   

Thank you. Twice. I appreciate the notice. I think I published my best stories ever last year and it's really nice to get feedback.

Besides "The Changling," there was "Death Penalty on SciFiction

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/what2/what21.html

- "Threesome" Imagination Fully Dilated SF, Fairwood Press, 2003

- "My Hermit," Mota: Courage, 2003

- "Is That Hard Science, or are You Just Happy to See Me?" Witpunk: Stories with Attitude, Four Walls Eight Windows, 2003

- "How I Got Away," The Mammoth Book of Road Stories, Carol and Graf, 2003

- "All My Children," Women Writing Science Fiction as Men, Daw, 2003

- "Babies" The Third Alternative.

I might have forgotten something but My Hermit, which hardly anyone saw because of distribution problems, was my favorite. Someday I'm going to get Pagemaker and put out a chapbook.

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Trent, what's the title of the ghost story that's your favorite?

Trent
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:49 am:   

Hey, Mastadge,

"Uncle Gorby and the Baggage Ghost," (ss) F&SF Mar 1996

It's also in her collection from Wildside Press. It's the kind of well-drawn-characters story that invites multiple rereads.

"The Changeling," LCRW #13, also is cool to reread, as certain phrases carry a different weight the second time through and the ending has a great deal of satisfaction for such a difficult, sticky scenario--not a simplistic response.

Leslie,

I'll check out these other stories. Chapbooks may be the best way to catch up with people, anymore. It's hard to get hold of people's stories with a range of publications.

Take care.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:14 pm:   

I would like to publish another collection but that's harder than placing a novel.

Note to writers: don't write short stories unless you really like short stories:-)

I have a ghost story coming up in Asimov's about the Holocaust and retribution. Remind me later and I'll tell which are the true parts.

My parents were both very superstitious and we grew up in the shadows of spirits. The first time I brought home something from a thrift store, my father refused to allow me to bring it into the house because he was worried it had come from a dead person.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register