Underwear Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » What, Leslie » Underwear « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LeslieWhat
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

A few thoughts on underwear:

One is that I have a friend who is an academic and writer and is convinced that women never say the word "panties" and that we call underwear underwear and that panties is a guy word (Have we discussed this here before?).

Two is a question about how old everyone was when they started buying their own underwear. I have bought my own clothes since I was thirteen, but I just returned from a store where men's underwear was on sale and I am questioning whether it would be a convenience for me to buy boxers for the college kid, or if it's intrusive at this stage of the game.

Three is that the boxers I looked at are called "Boxers America" and are made in Vietnam.

Four is a story I've certainly told, about the time my mother's little old lady friend asked my mother to enclose in her gift package volumous amounts of huge pastel nylon granny panties with an explanation that she had mistakenly bought some and they were all WAY TOO BIG FOR HER.

I sent them back.

I know I'm not the only one with underwear tales. Anyone else care to bare all? Or some?

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   

Leslie: Panties kind of strikes me as a ridiculous word. I don't know why. Some times I use it for comic effect. Otherwise, I never use it.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:06 pm:   

For the sake of your son's reputation, please Leslie, do not buy him boxers. I've been buying my own undies since around 16 years old, when I started working part-time jobs and actually having money. Nothing is more embarassing than having your mom buy your underwear. Especially in college.

minz
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:31 pm:   

Unless, of course, she's willing to sew your name into them . . . (Okay, I'm with Jason on this one.)

My best underwear story is not one that I circulate publicly (actually, make that my two good underwear stories)--and rarely privately for that matter. I'm all for self-depracating humor, but I have my limits.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   

I'm twenty, in college, and don't mind one bit when my mother buys me underwear. It's expensive, and if she's willing to pay for it, that's just fine with me.

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 08:53 pm:   

My college boyfriend says that it is okay if your son desperately needs underwear. He also seems to think it would be okay given in person during the holidays. Sending underwear in the mail, however, is embarrassing--especially if you are living in a house or residence hall with roommates and hallmates who will see you receive the mail.

'dinosaur-hide' red steve
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:24 am:   

Underwear? You lot can afford it???????

'Knickers' is a more dramatic word. See Roald Dahl's version of Little Red Riding Hood:'
...the little girl snickers
And whips a pistol from her knickers
And -bang- bang shoots Wolfie dead'
(Or something like that)

The spanish use 'ropa interior', which sounds like someone's swallowed a bit of string.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:30 am:   

Panties does seem among the realm of a man-only world...unless you are in a lingerie shop. Then the sales staff will use the word panties indiscriminently. As in, "Do you want matching panties with that bra?" or "Those panties are 5 for $25." Of course, if you are looking at a thong, then they use the word thong. Panties is a strange word. There is a shot called 'silk panty' which is Rumpleminze and Vodka, but that's off topic.

Personally I don't care who buys me underwear and where I get it. However, I think sending the college student underwear at school is a not-so-good idea. My wife and I buy underwear for each other. I've almost never bought my own underwear. I think we enjoy buying these intimate things for each other. We did this even before we got married.

BTW, I'm the only guy I know who has a Victoria's Secret credit card. When I first got the card I used to receive mail from them saying things like, "As a woman who has a Victoria's Secret credit card..." and "You are one of the few women who has qualified for a Victoria's Secret gold card...."

(I don't know if one of minz' underwear stories is this one, but he had a slightly embarassing moment while helping us move this last time...it involved a box of unmentionables and Jim opening it and not being able to get things stashed back in the box...)

Oh, and I have a total fetish/pinup/Elvgren thing about lingerie/underwear in general. And now you know more about my wife and I than I needed to tell you....

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:41 am:   

I started buying my own clothes in junior high, and changed my underwear in high school when my girlfriend expressed a preference. My wife, at least, uses the word panties all the time, though she also frequently uses the word 'fumpy' to refer to our dog, and 'pootie' to describe her mood, so perhaps she's not the star we should tack to.

I can't buy underwear for my wife. I'm not allowed. Largely because I like certain sorts of underwear, and my wife most expressly does not.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:53 am:   

Tim: Would you not have changed your underwear in high school had your girl friend not expressed a preference?

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:05 am:   

Yeah Tim, I hope you've changed your underwear at some point since high school...

;)

JK

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

Knickers are nice. Underpants have been co-opted. I have better ways of embarrassing my children than buying them underwear. But I wasn't thinking of sending it or giving something so utilitarian as a gift, more like replenishing supplies if he needed them, like socks.

The college town is too small to sell underwear so I was just wondering if it would be helpful or meddling. Seems the jury is still out. I can just wait and ask when he gets back for break.

I also was revising a story yesterday and noticed the character said "panties". Now I wonder if she has gender identity issues.

My mom still remembers finding a pair of my underwear in the driveway the morning after a hot date. She sneaked them to me and said, "Good thing I went out to get the paper so your father didn't see these."

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:52 am:   

Klima wrote: (I don't know if one of minz' underwear stories is this one, but he had a slightly embarassing moment while helping us move this last time...it involved a box of unmentionables and Jim opening it and not being able to get things stashed back in the box...)

Not even close, John, but it's a good one nonetheless. And a full telling of it would probably require the word "panties." And for the record, the box was open when I picked it up . . .

Leslie wrote:
My mom still remembers finding a pair of my underwear in the driveway the morning after a hot date. She sneaked them to me and said, "Good thing I went out to get the paper so your father didn't see these."

LMFAO

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:24 am:   

Okay, yes, I meant changing the style of my underwear. Yeesh. And John, I would be carefully saying things like "Personally I don't care who buys me underwear and where I get it." You're likely to find your mailbox stuffed with rubber thongs, delivered by the hands of strangers.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:01 am:   

Hey, that just means I have freebies for the table at the next con I go to.

JK

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:39 pm:   

I know how a certian editor is going to be paid by a certain publisher... What size pantie do you take, John?

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

This is old news but if you haven't read about Emily Duffy's Bra Ball there's a nice article about it and her ongoing fight with another artist who says he thought up the bra ball:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/06.06.01/braball-0123.html

I sent her a bunch of cool vintage bras I decided not to auction on eBay. I also think I sent Nicolino bras when he was doing his "Bras across the Grand Canyon" installation. That was before I knew he was evil.

Richard Parks
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:10 am:   

This has absolutely nothing to do with underwear (or if it does, I don't think I Wanna Know) but I wanted to thank you and your colleague(s) at What Lunch for the lovely WFA Consolation Prize which arrived today. I am deeply touched. More than usual, I mean. :-)

ellen
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:03 pm:   

Just to add my two cents--I never call them panties. I say underwear or underpants.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:05 pm:   

Hey, Richard, you're welcome. And on topic. When viewed from precisely the right angle, it looks like the horse is wearing a thong.

Leslie What
What! Lunch? Enterprises
Artistic Co-Director

kim
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   

My question is why is it a pair of panties when it is really just one panty? Ie: My boyfriend found a pair of my panties in my car. When a pair of socks really is two socks?

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 07:42 am:   

The panty is actually where you put your leg. Two legs makes it plural: panties.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register