HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Important question for Bob K.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » ElectricStory » Important question for Bob K. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

Bob---

Several ElectricStory titles are on sale here: http://bookaza.com/category/science_fiction.html

But this blog suggests that it's piracy: http://elizabethbutler.bravejournal.com/

Do you know if this site is legitimately selling books?

I thought I'd post this question on the message board in case anyone around here has info. I know nothing more about it except what I've read on the links above.

Thanks.

---Gordon Van Gelder

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

Looking over the site more, I found this listing amusing:
http://bookaza.com/books/crisis_.html

Does Jim Gunn know?!?

JJA
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   

They're discussing the possible illegality of that site over in the SFF.net SFWA Lounge.

Bob K.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   

Thanks, Gordon, for bringing this to my attention. I don't know anything about this outfit, but they post an address just down the road from me. I'll look into this, and if they're ripping us off and their address is valid... knock, knock.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob K.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   

The local police went over to the house listed on the site and talked to the residents, and it appears they're the victims of identity theft. Elizabeth Butler speculates that Bookaza might be harvesting credit card numbers. I see their IP address is in China, so it'll probably be tough to shut them down. Too bad for my neighbors down the road. They've apparently got a pile of cease-and-desist orders from New York publishers and cybersleuths have managed to suss out their VOIP phone number and start harassing them.

Bob

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 03:54 am:   

Thanks for the info, Bob. Andrew Burt at SFWA says they're aware of this one and they're pursuing it. He says he can't tell if the site exists just to harvest credit card numbers, but they're doing what they can.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

Update: Andrew Burt at SFWA tells me that the Bookaza.com site has been taken down. My compliments to SFWA for their fast and effective action.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |