HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Micropay Accounts

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » ElectricStory » Micropay Accounts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob K.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   

I really need some direction on the issue of micropay accounts. I'm making final decisions about purchasing options on our site, and for a couple of years I've thought that a micropay system, where you can effectively buy a gift certificate for yourself and draw money from it, was a good idea, but I'm beginning to rethink that.

Since we're not planning to store credit card numbers, a benefit of micropay is not having to reenter a credit card number to make a purchase. Also, micropay allows you to make very small purchases without having to pay a credit-card processing fee (on small transactions, we would lose money if we didn't pass on the fee). The drawback is that it's your money we'd be holding onto.

Would you, as a customer, still miss the micropay option for small purchases if we charged, say, a forty-cent credit card fee only on purchases under five dollars? If so, what if we charged a credit-card fee only for purchases under three dollars?

Not having a micropay system would also mean we wouldn't have a gift-certificate option. Would that matter much if you could still buy eBooks as gifts for other people?

I'd really appreciate any feedback on any of these questions.

Thanks!

Bob

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:25 pm:   

Bob:
What's the downside of micropay for you as the seller? I can see how some purchasers might not like it, though I don't object.
It's probably not especially rational of me, but I'd rather put up a $5 deposit, even if I didn't use it all, than pay a credit card processing fee. I just feel ripped off when I pay card fees, whereas it doesn't bother me to deposit money in advance and draw against it, so long as it's a small sum like $5.
Do you run into the same problem of charges to your business if you use PayPal for low price sales?
Nancy

Bob K.
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:41 pm:   

Hi, Nancy,

Yeah, PayPal takes a slightly larger chunk than the credit card companies. There are technical and accounting challenges with Micropay, and if you're still interested, I'd be happy to discuss them at World Fantasy. To start we'll probably launch without it. Your feedback's helpful. It's kind of how I feel as a customer as well.

Thanks,
Bob

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |