HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Weapons of Mass Seduction

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » ElectricStory » Weapons of Mass Seduction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Kruger
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:00 pm:   

Lucius Shepard's latest movie review is now up at:

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/seduction.asp

Is the media, wedded to the imperatives of commerce, brainwashing us? Has it subverted and co-opted our ideas of heroism and propriety toward the end of making us pliant to corporate authority? Would you remain as calm as Lucius if faced with the literal, not metaphorical, specter of a giant talking boob?

Those who've followed the reviews may have noted a motif throughout, one Lucius explicates here at length. "Weapons of Mass Seduction" is also the title of the sum of these essays, soon to be collected in print by Wheatland Press.

Bob

Rob
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:26 am:   

This was the best yet. All the warnings inside this “review” I have been calling out in every corner of these hallowed halls for years. No one listens. But then I am not so eloquent as Lucius. I would ask him to come talk to my students – and faculty! -- but I know he doesn’t set foot in the Old Dominion. Lucius has yet one more thing on the required reading lists I hand out for half my classes.

Peter Wong
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:58 am:   

Years and years ago, Harlan Ellison wrote a column in "The Glass Teat" about his experiences watching television in Rio de Janeiro. His description of television programming designed to keep the public as uninformed and unchallenged as possible horribly resembles Lucius Shepard's description of the media zeitgeist of America in the 21st century. Except Shepard's portrait is more disturbing because this the media landscape he paints is that of the world's only hyper-power, one where apparently "with great power comes great responsibility" has as much consciousness raising force as "have a nice day." Where the (serial expletives deleted in the interest of not getting Electric Story into hot water) are America's Che Guevara and Fidel Castro hiding?

Bob K.
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:05 pm:   

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Good to see you're still around, Peter.

Best,
Bob

bill reynolds
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:09 am:   

Seduction was very neatly covered by tragicly gone and seriously missed comic Bill Hicks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |