Encyclopedia of Heresies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Encyclopedia of Heresies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fantastic Metropolis
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:11 am:   

Use this thread to discuss Encyclopedia of Heresies, Matt's new column at Fantastic Metropolis, the first essay of which can be read here.

matthew rossi
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 01:51 am:   

What, nothing? Sheesh.

Nathan Shumate
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   

I'm just basking in the wisdom. (And checking out footnotes.)

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   

Hmm. You know, I never considered doing footnotes on the columns...

Dej
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 03:35 pm:   

You know, this reminds me alot of the meme warfare movement - the whole idea of anti-marketing - using encoded messages against encoded messages to brand people into doing better things, bring down corporate culture, and generally make a better life for everyone.

Marketing jui-juitsu. Meme Warfare had its origins in the situationist movement of Guy Deboard, but if your clever half-truths have anything to do with real truths, then perhaps the last centuries' meme warfare was far more sophisticated than ours hopes to be.

Jed Walls

Luís
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   

A new heresy can now be read at Fantastic Metropolis:

http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/i/the-truth-and-the-truth/

Next month: Michael Moorcock meets the lost civilizations of the Indus Valley in "Tanelorn's Seed".

T Andrews
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:34 am:   

Well, the latest heresy was a blast. It sent me searching out JJ Angleton. My knowledge of spy history and cold war stuff is close to nil.
Found some fascinating reading.
Thanks for the latest, Matthew. As satisfying and weird as usual!
I like your text-embedded links, btw.
;)

Adrian
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

I really enjoyed "The Truth and the Truth" entry in the Encyclopedia of Heresies. Nice pattern recognition between OSS and CIA and the Bible and magick, etc.

Thanks.

Luís
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   

As promised, a new entry is up:

http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/i/tanelorns-seed/

Next month we'll either have a sample essay from Matt's upcoming book, _Bottled Demons_ (to be published by Prime Books), or all-new material instead.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

Any word on when Bottled Demons will be out?

Luís
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   

Hi Robert: It'll be out this summer, no set release date yet. There will be an advance review copy within a month or so, as soon as I wrap up the design. (If you've seen the VanderMeer 2005 sampler, you'll have an idea of what you can expect.)

kate hunter
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

I started at Once I noticed I was on fire. In a round about way I ended up here. You need a warning not to be eating or drinking while on your site. I nearly choked on my drink and ended up spraying the screen. I hate it when that happens. Anyway just read The Truth and The Truth. Great stuff, now I know why daddy dearest was so weird. Ok, I am not exactly normal either, but then I wasn't in the CIA either. There was a post on the 15 from Adrian, sure hope thats not you dad, you are dead remember?

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:22 am:   

Looking forward to April's installment...:-)

Luís
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   

And here it is: Sheep to the Slaughter. This one's particularly insane --- enjoy!

Next month, be prepared: we're serving werewolves and George Washington.

Cheers,
Luís

T Andrews
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:45 am:   

Sheep to the Slaughter was great. Towards the end I was expecting to see the Skunk Ape show up, but alas, no such luck. Still a thrilling read.

Mazdak will be interesting, I'm sure. More Persian mysticism and political intrigue?

Hopefully Oak Island will show up sometime...

Thanks!

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

Actually, I think Mazdak will have to wait, as Matt hasn't finished it yet and instead completed the eagerly-awaited Cathar essay, which is so long we had to split it in three parts. I haven't read it in full yet, but it's mindblowing stuff, as is Matt's wont.

Best,
Luís

Luís
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   

And here it is, the first instalment of Matt's huge Cathar essay, which we're going to serialise over the coming months: "Every Thing Possible To Be Believ'd Is an Image of Truth, Part One: The Daughter of Reflection".

Best,
Luís

T Andrews
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

The Cathar essay is exceptional. Brilliant!

Fred Cipriano
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

Killing all human's one brain cell at a time.
http://fred_cipriano.datamachine.net/
Fred Cipriano's Prank Calls and Flash Animations.

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Hello everyone, and apologies for not having updated the site in June as promised. The second part of the Cathar essay is now online for your reading pleasure, so would you step this way, please . . .

http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/i/cathar-2/

Best,
Luís

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

This second part of the essay relates to something that has kept my mind busy in the idle cycles between worrying about useful things, when I toy with the concept of God's omniscience and the physical impossibility it represents. That is, of course, unless everything in the universe is actually God's mind, so my "conclusions" are very much like the ones Matt presents in the essay, except that mine lack his remarkable level of erudition.

I usually settle for the humbler and slightly more science-fictional idea of planetary minds or memetic macroorganisms built on the noosphere we humans contribute to. (It naturally follows that Earth is clearly deranged . . .) None of this is exactly new (off the top of my head, there's Vonnegut's _Sirens of Titan_ and Douglas Adams's _HHGG_) but it still amuses me to think about it.

Best,
Luís

Luís
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

Part three is now online: Every Thing Possible To Be Believ'd Is an Image of Truth, Part Three: The Menhir-Spearing God. In this instalment, you'll encounter more Cathar-related religious and political hijinks, a collection of rocks from the sky, and the Tower of Babel and other attempts at uniting the many aspects of God.

Also, you will go to hell for reading this. But you already knew that.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration