Reviews for THINGS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Reviews for THINGS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:00 pm:   

Proving I'm an idiot, I never linked to this when it came out. Well, okay, I didn't link to it here. Anyway, Neddal did a review of Things in Dead Angel a while back.

There's going to be another review coming out this week, I have been told, and when it goes live I shall also link to it. I've read it already and it shares the tendency of reviews to date, which is thankfully positive (hey, I like good reviews, sue me) but is also a bit confused about what to call the genre of the book.

So far Speculative Nonfiction seems to be winning out. Any other contenders?

Chris Roberson
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:38 am:   

"Speculative nonfiction" is always the term that I use when describing the book. R.A. Wilson's stuff came up on that other thread the other day, though, and that got me to thinking. What was his stuff (the nonfiction-y stuff that mined similar territory) called? Maybe you can make like any respectable literary movement and retroactively claim what Wilson did as Speculative Nonfiction, or as a "precursor" if nothing else. Has anyone else worked in a similar vein that you can drag under the Spec Nonfic umbrella?

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   

A quick check at Quantum Psychology has the book listed as psychology/philosophy.

I backed away in horror upon seeing that. Not that I don't like philosophy or philosophers, but the idea of anyone considering me one, or attempting to put my essays into practice (and how would you?) creeps me out.

I guess RAW works, though, as does Avram Davidson. (Davidson's definitely the big name in this field.) I'll keep thinking about other names. Oh, and if anyone else has seen a review for Things that I don't know about, feel free to link to it here.

Jess Nevins
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:22 am:   

Crossing over with the roleplaying thread, Ken Hite's work is similar.

"Speculative nonfiction" is nicely succinct and does the job well, I think.

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   

And the review is up. It's on the whole positive, which I like. The site it's on is fun, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration