Hey, so I'll be doing a column for FM... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Hey, so I'll be doing a column for FM... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:31 am:   

And so, since I'll be doing aforementioned column I thought it would be cool to try and get the opinions of people who've commented here before: what makes a good essay? What do you generally find engaging or off-putting in the form? It would probably help if you've read my stuff, because if you hate long-winded rants about magical conspiracies I may not be to your taste :-)

But any comments are welcome. Suggest a subject, if you like.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:53 am:   

Very cool, Matthew! I look forward to it. I'll try to think of some things to pass your way.

JK

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:08 pm:   

Sounds good, I look forward to it too.

This isn't a subject idea, but just some musing from me. I was watching a program on the Bermuda Triangle the other night and was surprised to find the first reference to it as the "triangle" was from an article in Argosy which was rather speculative. But the idea caught on and we've known it as the Bermuda Triangle since then. It made me wonder if any of your essays could similarly catch on.

matthew rossi
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:54 pm:   

Robert, I sincerely doubt it. But it would be kind of fun.

T Andrews
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   

Maybe you've considered this before: the great big biblical flood and yeti/sasquatch. High altitude and crypto-bi-peds seem to go together. (A new ape was confirmed in the Congo recently.)

I don't know about everybody else, but long-winded rants about magical conspiracies are my fave. ;)

matthew rossi
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 04:44 pm:   

I kind of did the Yeti-Sasquatch thing in one of my Atlantis rants, yeah.

Consider also the influence of Tibetan animism, even older and still surviving today in its Buddhist faith (which derives from Hinduism, which owes a great deal to the old Vedic stories) and the idea that a civilizing force derived from the North. Consider the old Biblical injunction that there were giants in the earth in the time before the flood, the tale of Enkidu the wild man who came from the wilderness and who tamed the furious rages of Gilgamesh and taught him to be a true king to his people. Consider the dzu-teh and meh-teh of the Tibetan mountains. Imagine that the tales of the Titans of Greek myth, the Giants of Norse tales, refer to these shaggy ones, known to us now as Almas, Gin-Sung, Ferla mohr, Mecheny, Yeren, and yes, Yeti. Perhaps these cousins of ours achieved a society before we did, and perhaps they looked down from their cold mountains on a human race still struggling its way past the Ice Ages and felt a rush of pity for these poor cousins, these tiny hairless mini-yeti. Perhaps they sought to civilize us, to impart the gifts of their culture to a people who barely even understood the concept of animal husbandry. It would make sense for them to choose a cold island in the North Atlantic as the place for their test...the advantage of isolation from the rest of humanity, the benefit of the climate they themselves preferred. It isn't hard to imagine these giants helping us to erect our first settlements (leading to the legends of a giant building the walls of Asgard) and imparting their wisdom, perhaps even serving as friends and advisors to our kings and highest priests ala Gilgamesh and Enkidu. Then, in their pride, these first civilized humans dared too much, and sought to tap the telluric energies of the earth itself, building vast menhirs to concentrate the vril power....and destroying their civilization when such constructions allowed the tainted energies of the long-death arthropods to collect themselves, in essence forming an undead mass-mind of entirely alien mindset that would find the cold world of the Yeti entirely not to their liking.

From http://www.onceinoticediwasonfireidecidedtorelaxandenjoythefall.org/merkabah/arc hives/000746.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration