Distribution Channels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Distribution Channels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron Dingman
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 12:16 am:   

Thought you might conceivably appreciate the following account of the difficulties I had in purchasing your book _Things That Never Were_ through Amazon.com.

I ordered _Things_ from Amazon after 8:00 p.m. on Monday, 5 April. I received *two* e-mails from Amazon, approximately 25 days apart, saying that they were having difficulty in obtaining a copy of your book and asking me to approve an extension in the shipping time; if I didn't approve the extension, they would cancel my order.

Finally, late on Saturday, 6 June, I ordered _Things_ directly from Monkeybrain Books, and cancelled my order from Amazon; this was perhaps not quite a week since the second notice of delay that Amazon sent me.

I received _Things_ this past Thursday, 24 June.

This is the only hiccup in service I've ever had with Amazon; not sure if this is a unique event or if there's some bad history between Amazon and Monkeybrain. (I was previously able to purchase a book published by Monkeybrain through Amazon with no delays whatever.)

All's well that ends well -- though I will admit to some angst over the rest of my order from Amazon being delayed while they tried to obtain a copy of _Things_ (ahh, the pitfalls of "super saver shipping"), as well as some moments of bemused speculation that here was another book that a retailer was refusing to sell me (the first being _The Illuminatus! Trilogy_ -- really, quite an appropriate book for a clerk to wordlessly palm and shove under the counter while distracting me with idle comic book chatter and a nod towards some posters on the wall in front of the counter...).

In my case the snag with Amazon just added an extra jolt of hot sauce to your book; but if this is indicative of a pattern, you may have a problem.

Luis
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:43 am:   

Never tried Amazon.com, but I had considerable trouble trying to order Things That Never Were from the Ingram catalogue, where they list a couple of MonkeyBrain titles, but not Matt's book, which I had to get directly from Chris Roberson.

Whoever's distributing MonkeyBrain books isn't doing a very good job . . . It's a shame, because most (I just don't say all because I fail to see the interest in Dr. Who :-)) of the stuff they've put out is worth buying.

Best,
Luís

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:51 am:   

Amazon's always been twiggy about my book: I'd suggest A) leaving a review of the book on their site complete with a mention of the odd difficulties in procuring it and B) letting Chris Roberson know (he's got a forum here) about it. I know Monkeybrain got rid of one distributor and is working with another now, but he'd have more info on who it is and when they started to take over.

Amazon in the past has listed my book as a special order, then claimed they had three copies in stock, had ratcheted the price around... it's been quite irritating. I know they supply Jess' book with much more competence, but that's not surprising, since Jess' book had a major movie and Alan Moore attached to it.

I'm really sorry the book was that hard for you to get: I hope it doesn't make it a less than satisfying read. I think Borders and Barnes & Noble were carrying it first: I know people have ordered it from B&N.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   

The sales reps for our new distributor have been meeting with the various chain buyers (including the outfits who supply Amazon) and the like over the course of the last month, so hopefully within the next month or two these sorts of hiccups with Amazon should be straightened out. (I now note with dismay that Amazon shows the book shipping in 1 to 2 *months*! Sheesh.) Why Amazon is having particular difficulty I'm not sure, since the book is available and in stock at NBN, Baker & Taylor, Ingram, and any number of other resellers and distributors.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration