Esotericism on the cheap Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Esotericism on the cheap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   

http://www.onceinoticediwasonfireidecidedtorelaxandenjoythefall.org/merkabah/arc hives/000811.html

I know I left out at least as many books as I listed that I personally make a lot of use of... what would you have expected to see on the list? (I can't believe Procopius didn't make it.) And if I did a follow up, should it be fiction and poetry? (With the exception of the one Jack London book, I deliberately didn't put any fiction on the list.)

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 05:12 pm:   

This caught my eye. What a list! (Armesto's 'Millenium' is awesome, isn't it?)
If I may:

The list begs for some Joseph Campbell ('The Masks of God' books or maybe 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces')!
Carl G Jung's 'Flying Saucers'.
Patrick Harpur's 'Daimonic Reality'.EXCELLENT BOOK.
Aleister Crowley's 'Magick in theory and in practice'.
Jan Harold Brunvand's 'Encyclopedia of Urban Legends'.
How about Nigel Pennick's 'Runic Astrology'. Folks into Norse stuff either love him or hate him. I think he's great and this book is his best, imo.
If you were going to add poetry, I'd suggest some Hildegard of Bingen.

Now you have totally sold me on 'Things That Never Were' and I must have it. Thank you.
:-)

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   

I've got the Encyclopedia of Urban Legends and agree that it's worthwhile... the Crowley I own are 777 and Book of the Law (I think I may have Equinox of the Gods around here somewhere) and I have a few of the Campbell books, too. I'll look for 'Daimonic Reality' (had not heard of it) and 'Runic Astrology' next time I get to the bookstore. And yeah, Armesto rocks, I love 'Millennium'. Thanks for the suggestions: always looking for something new.

And hey, hopefully Things lives up to its pedigree.

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

I second the Harpur book. Weird-ass stuff.

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:28 am:   

I just received my copy of THINGS THAT NEVER WERE in the mail this morning.
And no bills. (Good way to start the day.)
The book looks good...figuratively and literally!
I'm going to dig into it right away.

Luis
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:01 pm:   

Just a tiny note to say that I'm reading Things That Never Were and that so should all of you. What a positively intelligent, funny, insane and unpredictable book this is. Want to know what boy scouts are really up to? What happened to the dinosaurs? And what the hell is wrong with California? Matt here knows, and he's not afraid to tell it.

Cheers,
Luís

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:38 am:   

I should note I did not pay Luis for this endorsement. Yet.

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:15 pm:   

I agree with Luis. (I haven't signed any endorsement deals, either.)
Matthew, you have one hell of an impressive, no- intimidating imagination. Your creative speculations (or whatever they are; they defy labels) have given my brain the most stimulating fun it's had in a long time.
You must be a blast at parties, man!
Paul Di Filippo's introduction is a perfect fit.
I'll be getting a copy for a friend of mine.

You can't keep a book like this a secret. As you say in the beginning: 'Okay, weird stuff in my head must be shared with world.' No kidding.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration