The "Dare Matt to write about X" thre... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » The "Dare Matt to write about X" thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   

Some of my favorite essays have come from being dared to write them. "The World Below" from Things is the result of my friend Pete daring me to write about Houdini and the Nazis. Similarly, "The Dragon and Marduk" came from our discussion of the Boy Scouts. And I recently wrote a post about Blake I really liked entitled "And fallen, fallen light renew" based on someone asking me if I ever had. Yesterday's writing about Roanoke (available on the 'Things That Never Were' thread here) was also based on people wondering what I would do with a particular topic.

So suggest away! I may not use your suggestion for quite some time... I am working on the albatross of the novel right now, so more than one essay a week is pushing it for me, and I have ideas percolating about Grace O'Malley and William Marshal as it is... but I enjoy the back and forth and sometimes being asked about something will drag my brain in a new direction, which is always good.

Neddal
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   

Ah man, simple. Build on the cocaine filled mummies. Who was crossing the Atlantic and why? The closest part of Africa to S. America looks, on a map, to be about as close at W. Europe and the northeastern part of N. America. Then there's the theory that the Phoenicians were in N. America before the Vikings.

Or something about the cyanocephali. I want to see an essay about dog-headed men dammit.

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:01 pm:   

Hmm. The cynocephali are near and dear my heart. I'll keep them in my head, see what blossoms.

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

On the subject of daring me... anyone have any interesting sources on the Tulip Mania of the 1600's?

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:23 am:   

I've always wanted someone to write a story for me about a person who ate so much raw cookie dough that they gave birth to a baby made out of cookie dough. No one's taken me up on the challenge yet. Also, I've always wanted a story with something in it along the lines of the giant penguins in "At the Mountains of Madness". Maybe giant, killer pekingnese or something.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:40 am:   

You going to print it if I write it? I'll write you your cookie dough story by tomorrow morning if I get an intention to print it out of you. (Obviously if it's entirely shit I'd not expect it, but I want you to pledge to print any reasonably good story involving the cookie dough baby.) I can work in giant penguins. (I'll have to go back and look... were those in ATMOM or in Poe's Arthur Gordon Pym? I forget.) You give me a virtual handshake on publication, I'll give you 5000 words.

dave
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:57 am:   

Regarding the Tulip madness, you may want to look at Anna Pavord's The Tulip, as well as Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire (see also his other essays in the book, they're really fascinating stuff).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration