Self-Promotion: how best to pimp ones... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Self-Promotion: how best to pimp oneself? (AKA - I am the Modern Zardoz) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:25 pm:   

I ask this because I'm really new to the whole thing. I'm wondering how I should go about it. I like my book, I think it's a good book and that I should get a chance to do more, both fiction and otherwise... but how? I'm horrible at knowing how to promote myself.

I don't mind obvious advice, either, but obvious advice will be more appreciated if it comes with a suggestion on how to implement it. For instance, don't tell me to go to conventions... tell me how to find out what conventions are available, where they're at, who's looking for someone, that sort of thing. Unobvious advice is also appreciated, although I'm not going to have Sean Connery run around in that red diaper from Zardoz screaming "Matt Rossi is a god!"

Don't even waste yours and my time on that one.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:54 pm:   

Locus tends to run lists of conventions. You may want to check out locusmag.com for that info.

Do you have a website?

Do you keep sending fiction out come Hell or high water? The best way to get publicity is to publish many stories in high-profile markets, of course. :-)

Keep a hand in in other ways -- maybe do some reviews or write some articles or whatever floats your boat. But do it because it appeals to you, not because you're trying to promote yourself (well, you can do it for both reasons....)

You could take out some ads to promote your book, too, although I don't know how well those work.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration