Casshern trailer and the future of ge... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rossi, Matthew » Casshern trailer and the future of genre film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:54 am:   

Warning - this takes a while to open

http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/trailers/casshern_large.html

Now, I'm not just posting it here to shill for the movie. What I find amazing is that what looks to be a visual spectacle on the level of the Matrix films took $5 million dollars to make, according to Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040119h.php)

Now, what this says to me is that there is no longer a huge difficulty in bringing an author's vision to the screen, if the will to do so is there. You could now imagine Melnibone, Narnia, Barsoom or Malacandra, the full spectacle of the Oz books, Lovecraft's Dreamlands or any number of Atlantis' could be brought to life for reasonable money. New Crobozun or Asgard or Cynosure or the realms of Kepler's Somnium... these are accessible to us now. The question is, will we get to see them? Will filmmakers use this affordable technology properly, or will we see it used in the service of lowering the bottom line with little attempt to realize the imagination?

What do folks think? Are we on the cusp of a new wave of independent filmmaking that can eclipse what studios have to offer? Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow also comes to mind (Trailer - http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/ ) as another example of a film where the technology is put in service of a vision... will tomorrow's David Lynch be able to put his film together without even having to worry about a studio backing him?

Curious about people's thoughts. Will this just make the future Roger Cormans and Albert Pyun's more common or will it broaden the scope for fantastic film?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

It will be similar to the home recording revolution in music. Instead of having to spend thousands of dollars to record an album in a studio, anybody with a computer can record a decent sounding album. What this lead to is a lot of horrible home recordings and a few really good ones. It lead to a lot more CDs being released, but still not a huge number of good ones. The good ones are out there, but it takes more time to sift through the bad CDs to find them.

We will get more Cormans and Pyuns producing lackluster films, but we will still get a few good films produced. It will just be harder to find them due to the larger number of bad movies. I suppose that isn't too different from things now - lots of bad movies and a few good ones. I guess it will just make the few good ones look slicker.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration