HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

News

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Connell, Brendan » News « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BC
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:17 am:   

Six poems (three by Li Jing and three by Su Manju) which I translated in conjunction with Marty Jiang were just accepted for publication in the Near East Review. The editor also asked me if I knew of anyone who might review the Near East Review for some U.S. or U.K. venue . . . So if that applies to you, e-mail me (huysmans67@hotmail.com) and I will put you in touch with the journal and thereby a review copy . . . On another note, a story of mine, The Man Who Saw Grey, has just been posted at Eternal Night, in their February Chronicle: http://www.eternalnight.co.uk

Anna
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:56 am:   

Hi Brendan,

Anna

Brendan
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   

Good news. A short story of mine, Mesh of Veins, will be appearing in translation the Greek SF magazine The Dramaturges of Yann. My first story to be put into Greek.

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:41 am:   

Well done, Brendan! (A great title for a mag, too!). Have you had any stories translated before? I recall you contributing to that 'translation' thread on these Boards a few weeks ago.

And may I also repeat your denemonisation for nemonymous~4 below:

"'To the Sirens first you shall come," said she, "to the Sirens, who sit in their field of flowers and bewitch all men who come near them. He who comes near the Sirens without knowing their ways and hears the sound of their voices — never again shall that man see wife or child, or have joy of his home-coming. All round where the Sirens sit are great heaps of the bones of men. But I will tell thee, Odysseus, how thou mayst pass them.'"
Padraic Colum (1881–1972). The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy. 1918

'Sirens' by Brendan Connell

A) There seems to be little difference between anonymously published works and the non-anonymous, the non-anonymous appearing even more anonymous than the anonymous;—unless it is something like the Dies irae.
B) Every writer wears a mask; some two.

Megalanthus: http://tinyurl.com/2twgy

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:23 am:   

Hi Des,

Well, maybe, one of my stories was supposed to be translated into Czech, or some such thing - but I am not sure if it ever was . . .

I assume that you have been published in The Dramaturges of Yann, as you have in almost every small press venue.

Out of curiousity, what languages have your stories been translated into?

Yes, nemonymous~(3) was fun!

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:42 am:   

As far as I know, Brendan, my stories have been translated only into Japanese, Serbian and American.

Thanks for pointing out you were in Nemo~3, not Nemo~4!
des

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:02 pm:   

Oh, sorry, I thought you said "A great little mag", not "A great title for a mag". I misread. . . . You see if you just move around the letters and . . . Yes, it is a cool title. Though I wonder if it actually means anything in Greek?

You were translated into American? You mean someone made you spell 'gaol' 'jail' and that sort of thing . . . ?

What were you published in in Japanese?

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   

By the way, has anyone ever heard of The Postmodernist's Journal of Horror? . . . I saw the name written, but can't find any info about it--but the title attracts me.

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   

Stephen Jones' 'Shadows Over Innsmouth' anthology was translated into Japanese... I have two very neat Japanese volumes making up the contributors' copy, where only 'D.F.' and 'H.P.' are recognisable in the contents list!

No not heard of the Postmodernists' thingie, but a great title.

yes, when I was translated into Ameriacn, I had many of my spellings changed (many times!). They took away all my 'u's! des

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   

Have you ever thought of writing a story without using the letter 'u'? . . . Then it would be the same in both the US and UK editions.

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   

OK, I'll write one tomorrow. des

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   

Really?

Send me the 'u's you dont use and I will do something with them!

des
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:23 pm:   

As promised here is my story without u's.

VOW OF CONTRITION by DF Lewis

Alan was ankle deep in something he’d’ve preferred to have avoided. Yet Alan, when he realised that -- to obtain Rhona’s forgiveness -- he needed to negotiate some slimy spillages she’d left in her wake, decided to remove his sock and shoe with the aim of hopping towards her known location.

This wasn’t an alien land. Nor was it home. It was a cross between two worlds: the first being the sane environment of Earth where he’d been raised into its logical effects, the world of his earliest memories of being bred by similar critters to himself; and a second world, one with barely predictable motives (the motives of the environment itself, of its inhabitants, even of visitors to that world as they became slowly absorbed by the infesting it). These two environments had merged in Alan’s mind and he had ceased to be aware of exactly which world he now inhabited. Was he at home or was he visiting? Rhona was common to both worlds so her presence here proved nothing.

Common sense told him that he now inhabited the second world, the alien one; yet it had slowly and imperceptibly gathered to itself characteristics of his home world, a world which he loosely called Earth. For example, he was treading over floorboards, listening to birdsong, and the wailing of wind in a chimney. Yet the floorbards were covered with a clear slime nearly two inches thick. Even comparisons of size were made by Alan in terrestrial terms. The land that held his footprints intact was a gooey one, more akin to adhesive than slime, yet slime was the nearest he was able to reach its meaning with his newly restricted word-stock. On Earth he had been a wordy man, even been a writer of some literary note, yet now, he discovered himself searching for the correct words for any set of happenings. Call it slime, then. Even if, back home, he might have called it something else. Carpet pile perhaps. Or tiny specks of earth. Or even rat droppings. Yet here, in his present predicament of place, time and perceived ownership of mind, it had to be slime. He did not even debate it with himself. The word was sacrosanct.

He was able now to discern Rhona at the far end of the hall. Except it may not have been a hall at all, since there was an ill-draped poster bed somewhere along its length. She was recognisable as Rhona, since he desperately held onto a photographic snapshot of her from Earth. He kept glancing at it and comparing the facial marks of the pretty woman there frozen with the more ripply version at the end of the hall. However, this method of identification and attempted self-conviction on Alan’s part did not allow comparison of Rhona’s respective voices. On Earth, he recalled her voice lilting and pleasant to hear, as opposed to some other women he had once known back home. Yet, here, he heard only slimy croaks emerging from her lips. Words formed in the throat or a bit lower and then set loose by the lips, with no intervention of the lips’ vocal implements.

“Alan, go away. I can’t... I am not the person we once knew. I am danger...”

Alan was not diverted by this mask of her real personality. He knew it was Rhona, despite the slimy vowels and, incredibly, even slimier hard consonants of her speech.

He decided to respond vocally himself. He hadn’t attempted this before here in this hybrid world of barely known forces of earth. Not only did he have to dig deep for the correct words, he needed also to dig even deeper for a voice that might carry them towards Rhona. He noticed that she now lolled on the bed, beckoning him with the crook of a little finger. Fear was the most normal emotion for Alan to feel in this predicament. Yet, strangely, he sensed an ill-characterised bravery growing in his loins, together with a passion and desire for the body he recalled to be Rhona’s. Yet first the speech, the one he owed her, to complete his pretensions towards contrition.

“Rhona … I love … I always loved … nothing can come between … nothing or nobody.”

There he’d said it. He sighed with relief … except the sigh was more a phlegmy wheeze than a waft of expended air. The toes of his hopping foot were now webbed with the consistency he’d once called slime. Seemed ages ago now. He needed to wield his other foot to prevent losing balance. An ill-balanced mind – as his certainly was – needed at least the resistant force of a firm physical stance. He placed the other foot – still shod – to the floor. The sole of the shoe immediately dissolved into the same soft land on which it trod. As did the sock. Yet the flesh of his foot stood firm. That gave him more grit of conviction. He gave a swift sideways look at the window in the hall. Via it he was able to see trees similar to those he’d seen all his life growing on Earth. And *in* Earth. As if life was a twofold process, exterior and interior, and this applied to everything, even stone and wood.

By now – amid another torment of thinking – Alan had reached the side of the bed, where the drapes had been yanked wholly together. Rhona’s voice – still not predicted and recognised from his earlier experience of hearing it – managed to thread its way between the drapes -- becoming tangled in more slimy appendages of tangible visibility. A voice that Alan might see negotiating its phonetic path towards his ears with every vowel of the alphabet.

“We are not here at all. So go away, Alan, and nobody will know or see any difference. “

Alan scratched his head – yet felt only the slime that he considered to be his own brain.

“Why not go away, then?” Alan managed to say - despite the feel of his fingers to his own brain having managed adversely to affect the mind’s powers of thinking as well as of speech. “Nobody able to notice any difference.” These last words he managed to emit were more like birdsong than homo sapiens vocalisation. He smiled. As he yanked the drapes of the bed aside.

And then one heard only slime gargling, at the grinding interface of two worlds emerging via the deep throats and chimneys of non-tenable reality into the possibility of carnal, if not cranial, congress.

A single photograph floated to the floor and melted into a wafer of thin clear slime.

Slowly vanishing into the floor.

“I love...”

He failed to end his vow.

des
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:28 pm:   

BTW, there were 132 u's I didn't use. u are welcome to them . ;-)
des

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:23 am:   

Very cool story Des! And I didn't find a single U! Ok, I have now 132 U's stacked up on my desk . . . I will see if I can get some use out of them . . . If I don't watch it they will start to mate and turn into W's.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:08 am:   

UU
Being the story of U the First and U the Second, and Containing 132 u’s, Including these Present

Scene—A Room in U’s House, u-shaped, the walls covered with brightly hued u’s, the floors dusted with u’s.

(U the First rises, and comes forward.)

U the F.: Uuuu. u. u. uu. Uuu.

(Enter U the Second, brandishing a very dangerous looking u.)

U the F.: U!

U the S.: uuuuuuu

U the F.: Uü ü uuuuu

U the S.: UUUUU!!!!

(A darkness comes over the place.)

U the F.: UuUuUuuuuu. U. uuu. u.

U the S.: U. U. U.

(U the Second stabs U the First.)

U the F.: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!

(He expires.)

U the S.: Uüüüüü. Uu. Uuuuu. Uuu. Uuu! Uuu! Uuu! Uuuu . . .

[Exeunt.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:13 am:   

My story 'Notes on a Modern Epicure' is up at www.gothic.net if anyone is interested.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   

My story "Mesh of Veins" has just been accepted for publication in a Danish language magazine called "Science Fiction". So this story will now be in both English, Greek and Danish.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

I just recieved a copy of "Idiot's Mainfesto" with a copy of my very short story "Moscow". A very rough looking zine. Reminds me a bit of the old punk zines I used to see as a teen ager. Stapled, photocopied pages. Still, at .50 cents a copy...

James
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:16 am:   

Brendan are there any interviews of you (as interviewee) available on the web? I have done a google and haven't found any, not anywhere including at Fantastic Metropolis. Or have you not done any?

Brendan
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:18 am:   

Hi James.

No, no interviews out there that I know of either.

Brendan

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

For those into food fantasy, my story "Escargot" is currently on-line at: http://www.californiawineandfood.com/

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:14 am:   

James -

Here is a sort of mini-interview. Well, anyhow, some questions posed by Jeff Vandermeer:

http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2005/06/brendan-connells-new-book-and-ordering.h tml

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

I just got a copy of "Littoral", a nice little Essex based poetry journal.

It has a poem of mine in it called "Cold"

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

And if anyone is interested in reading my story Kinshasa (a Metrophilia):

http://e.1asphost.com/Safiyah/heavyglow/connell.kinshasha.htm

Brendan
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   

A poem of mine, Bread, has just been added to this site:

http://www.getunderground.com

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:25 am:   

Another poem of mine, "Returning", was just published in a poetry journal out of Berkeley called Poetalk.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   

My short story "Collapsing Claude" is to be published next year in a Greek magazine called "Cosmic Dimension".

Brendan
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 12:48 am:   

I just got a copy of The Deconstruction Quarterly, which has a piece of mine called "Carthage".

Brendan
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   

My short story "The Skin Collector" will be translated and published in the French magazine Le Calepin Jaune in September.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   

A story of mine titled "Lake Success" will run in issue 61 of Adbusters.

Phillip I. Darconi
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

"Collapsing Claude" sounds fascinating. Can you perhaps post it here?

Brendan
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   

Hi Phillip,

Well, this story is also slated for publication in October (I think), in my collection The Life of Polycrates and Other Stories for Antiquated Children. So, the publisher might not like me posting the whole story here. I will give you the first chapter though:

Collapsing Claude

I.

The sun had already gone down; the lake was a dark, glassy sheet; the branches of the tree by which he stood dripped down into the water and a few pieces of driftwood and trash floated near the bank. Claude was still; he inhaled the breath of the flowers in the gardens behind him; watched the lights appear on the opposite shore; and things sank into night. He lit a cigarette and walked along the path, with the lake to his right. Twelve years of his life of twenty-nine he had spent endeavouring to put himself in certain situations; behind closed doors; in scented or filthy chambers; to experience the snorting adventures of a hog. He worked in a bank, and though not rich, certainly made a decent living.

He walked slowly, erect, stiffly. A nebulous patch, an obvious quantity of female, rose up from a park bench to one side. He stopped. The creature moved on in front of him. Claude proceeded, automatically to tail, now truly savouring that flavour of smoke in which he bathed his tongue. The serpent looked back (only the slightest exposure of facial flesh); then turned, some scarf over head, throat and mouth sheltered, shadow of trees and black blankness of night.

“Are you following me?”

“Yes.”

A pause.

“Who are you?”

“A man named Claude.”

Another pause.

“Ok then . . . A woman named Mirta.”

“Do we need to know anything else?”

“Negative.”

Phillip I. Darkoni
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 03:42 pm:   

Thank you. It's very interesting. Seems just the sort of think Flesh and Blood would publish, chock full of sensory image. I love F and B. It's an oddity this world needs.
--P.I.D.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   

Phillip,

Thanks!

Actually this story was originally published in Flesh and Blood. So, if you look through your back issues, you probably can read it in its whole.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:19 am:   

Just received my contributor’s copy of “The Sink” a very nice little US zine. http://www.thesinkmag.com/ It has my story “Dublin (a Metrophilia)”. In future issues they are planning to run more of these “metrophilias”.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:41 am:   

Just received my contributor’s copy of "Escaping Elsewhere" with my story "The Last of the Burroways"...

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:53 am:   

Just received my copy of "Le Calepin Jaune" with my story "Le Collectionneur de peaux"... the French translation of "The Skin Collector", nicely translated by Estelle Valls de Gomis. If you read French, this is a very nice zine.

http://www.geocities.com/lecalepinjaune/

Brendan
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 06:27 am:   

I just received my copy of Bonfire, a quarterly publication from the UK. It contains three of my Metrophilia stories:

Luxembourg
Paris
Mexico City

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fandango.virtual/bonfire/

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   

Just received my copy of Universe Pathways Magazine with my story "Collapsing Claude" translated into Greek.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   

Just received my copy of The Orphan Leaf Review with a version of my story "Dublin, a Metrophilia". The zine is interesting, limited edition (120 copies).

http://jpwallis.co.uk/orphanleaf/index.htm

Brendan
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 06:12 am:   

Just received my copy of Poetalk (Bay Area Poets Coalition), containing a poem of mine called "Avatar". . .

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

I believe that issue 19 of McSweeney's is out which should have my story The Life of Captain Gareth Caernarvon in it. I don't see my name in the blurb though, so maybe it is under "new talents"...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193241648X/sr=8-1/qid=1143785456/ref=pd_bbs_1/0 02-0141567-1380079?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   

I just recieved my copy of the new magazine Spinning Whorl, that contains my story Edinburgh.

http://www.geocities.com/spinning_whorl/

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 01:35 am:   

Just received my contributor’s copies of McSweeney's 19. A very cool issue. It comes in a cigar box.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

a review of McSweeney's 19 on Bookslut, with a mention of my story:

http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2006_06_009062.php

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 05:49 am:   

A story of mine, "Pits" just came out in the anthology "See You Next Tuesday".

http://www.betternonsequitur.com/

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   

One of my stories, Dublin, has been posted here, on new blog-zine type thing:

http://the-flash-flood.blogspot.com/

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 09:16 am:   

My story "Mesh of Veins" has been translated into Danish, in a zine called Science Fiction Et Dansk Science Fiction Fanzine.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 04:49 am:   

A double review of The Translation of Father Torturo and Dr. Black and the Guerrillia is up at the Zone.

Link as follows:

www.zone-sf.com/wordworks.html

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 04:51 am:   

Or maybe this link is better, as it is goes directly to the review, which is by David Hebbelthwaite:

www.zone-sf.com/wordworks/bconnell.html

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:23 am:   

Another Metrophilia, this time Moscow, is up at the Flash Flood. This is a reprint from an obscure print zine called "Idiot's Manifesto"

http://the-flash-flood.blogspot.com/

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

I just received my copy of Le Calepin Jaune no.10, with a translation into French of my story Demise of a Poet (La Fin d’un poète), anyone who reads French might want to check this zine out:
www.lecalepinjaune.com

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   

This is the sort of thing we should all be interested in.

There is too much commercialism about.
Congratulations, Brendan.
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:32 pm:   

Thanks Des.

Yes, I agree about the commercialism. I don't necessarily equate it with money however, but more an approach - one that doesn't take risks.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   

On another note, a story of mine Carthage (a Metrophilia) is currently up here:

http://the-flash-flood.blogspot.com/2006/10/carthage-metrophilia-brendan-connell .html

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   

Here is a little article I wrote on the Tibetan Book of the Dead. It originally appeared in a Canadian magazine called Ascent.

http://ashejournal.com/index.php?id=87

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 03:13 am:   

Great stuff, Brendan.
I have a friend (about my age) who has spent his life since childhood extolling to me the jolly virtues of the Egyptian Book Of The Dead.
I don't think I've heard of the Tibetan one before.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 06:22 am:   

BtW, Brendan, I just noted you don't name Nemo in your writing credits! :-)
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

Hi Des,

Thanks for pointing out my lapse :-). I think I probably have before but change the things I name periodically, just as seasonally the gardener adds fresh manure to his rose beds. So, in preparation for a spring crop of publications, I wil now add Nemo to my credits for this winter's planting.

Brendan

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 07:41 am:   

Thanks, Brendan.

des

"You were talking to someone though."
"Just the flowers."

--from SIRENS by Brendan Connell (Nemonymous 3)

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:16 am:   

I just received my copy of Phantastes no.3, with a translation into Portuguese of my story Maledict Michela, which originally appeared in Nemonymous. Anyone who reads Portuguese might want to check this zine out:

http://phanted.wordpress.com/

des lewis
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 03:51 am:   

Congratulations, Brendan. Although I still wonder how anyone could translate this particular story into a different langauge!

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 06:27 am:   

Thanks!

Well, luckily Tiago Gama was.

des lewis
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:52 am:   

Do you know enough Portuguese, Brendan, for you to be able to assess how the translation works from your point of view?
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 09:28 am:   

Umm. I don't know any, but it is a bit like Italian, which I know pretty decently, and, from what I can tell, it seems quite nice. Also, the translator did ask a few questions, so it was clear he was taking what he was doing seriously.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 07:44 am:   

Just finished a new 43,000 word novel.....

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   

My story "The Life of Captain Gareth Caernarvon" made it to the Best American Fantasy recommended reading list, which is a good thing.

http://bestamericanfantasy.blogspot.com/2007/02/baf-recommended-reading-list.htm l

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 08:39 am:   

A story of mine (Parching Tea Leave in the Dark) is on Ashe journal, link here:

http://ashejournal.com/index.php?id=279

This story was originally in a journal called Fishdrum and then reprinted, with some revisions, in Adbusters (version here)

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   

Oh, Wow. So you're an English teaching in Switzerland? How's that working out? (Sounds quite fun.)

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   

*English teacher, I meant to say. Gawds. Mine is leaving me faster than I could possibly have imagined.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:27 am:   

Hi Ben,

It is not bad as it feeds me...and it is related to language, which is good.

Yes, I would recommend it as a way to earn a living while writing (for people who want to write that is!).

Do you live in a non-English speaking country?

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 03:06 am:   

I'm in China. (Studying Chinese), but when I finish I'll be a foreign English "prof." for a few years at a university.

I've often wanted to travel to Switzerland, mostly because of the L'Abri Fellowship. Although I've been seriously considering moving to Dubai after my China stint and working as an English teacher there.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

I live in a non-English speaking county: Essex.
;-)

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   

Yes, Switzerland is a nice country.

I know in China though there is a big demand for English teachers. I have even heard some get kidnapped and forced to teach students English!

Des - It is nice to hear that I am not the only one struggling in a foreign land!

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   

kidnapped? LOL.

Yeah, I guess it's true. The first time I came (two years ago) I was held in a sort of shaming indentured servitude (to get the promised money back for my plane ticket), and was forced to bend over backward and do things I'd never thought possible.

This time (as in, last October) I came on my own terms. No evil Overlord (aka: Kindergarten school president) presiding over my shadow.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

Ah, so you were kidnapped too!

The only question is whether they do this sort of thing in Essex also.

des lewis
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:36 am:   

The brigands and press-gangs of the Essex creeks all look like Magwitch.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   

Magwitch?

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:07 am:   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Magwitch

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 01:55 am:   

Ah, Ok. I read that book.....a long time ago.

Brendan
Username: Brendan

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 09:27 am:   

A short story of mine, Rood, was just released in an anthology called See You Next Tuesday: The Second Coming

If you buy direct from the publisher it is only 10 dollars.

http://betternonsequitur.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |