Special Dr. Black Electric Velocipede... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Connell, Brendan » Special Dr. Black Electric Velocipede offer. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:51 am:   

Well, issue 12 of Electric Velocipede is out. I just received my copies and it looks very nice indeed. It contains my story Dr. Black and the Village of Stones. This is the 3rd story of mine to appear in EV. It is also the 4th Dr. Black story to be published.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, and lend my support to Electric Velocipede, I would like to extend a special offer.

Here it is:

I have 3 copies of my novella Dr. Black and the Guerrillia to give away to the next three people who take out a one-year subscription to Electric Velocipede. The book is a limited edition (300 copies) signed and illustated hardcover.

Subscriptions to the magazine are 15 bucks I believe. This novella is valued at 20. So, basically, you pay less for the subscription than you would for the novella.

What you have to do:

Just e-mail me and tell me that you are subscribing, and give me your address, and all is done.

My e-mail is: huysmans67 [at] hot mail dot com

The EV site where you can go for your subscription is here:

http://www.electricvelocipede.com/

Remember, this is offer is only good for the first 3 people who e-mail me!

What people have said about Dr. Black and the Guerrillia:

Dr Black And The Guerrillia is a bit of a romp. And it's an engrossing one at that: the writing is evocative in some places and wryly amusing in others. The author also switches styles frequently, at times even approaching the dizzying info-bullets reminiscent of cyberpunk. It makes for an exhilarating read.

--David Hebblethwaite, The Zone

I'd be hard-pressed to pick my favorite parts of the narrative. I mean,
the encounter while "under the influence," of some local druggery, with the God of Metanatural History ranks right up there. As does the slime molds playlet. As does the interior monologue leading up to Dr. Black's possible shooting at the hands of a firing squad. It's insanely wonderful stuff--daft, droll, and experimental in a fun way.

--Jeff Vandermeer

Anyone who enjoys dark quirky fiction and concise efficient prose would be well advised to check [it] out . . .

--Eternal Night

I consider myself lucky because I have in my hands one of these 300 books. The people of literature, those who love books as a form of art, and not only for their content, will definitely understand me. It is a publication on which extra care was lavished, so even simply leafing through it gives you a different sensation.

--Universal Pathways

my picture

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:56 am:   

my picture

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 02:21 am:   

Correction:

I actually meant a 4-issue subscription. I forgot that EV is bi-annual.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:21 am:   

?

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:56 am:   

Hi Brendan,

I'm in the middle of reading "Dr Black and the Village of Stones" and really enjoying it. So, eager to read more, is the following list a correct summary of all Dr Black stories published to date? Are there any I've missed?

"Dr Black and the Village of Stones" - EV

"Dr. Black in Rome" - Album Zutique #1

"A Season with Dr. Black" - Leviathan Three

"Dr. Black and the Guerrillia" - Novella

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   

Hi Alistair,

Thanks. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Yes, that is a list of the ones published so far.

There is another that is due to be published in the not too distant future which is called "Red-Haired Man in a Sweater (From the Private Papers of Dr. Black)". But since the publisher hasn't announced it and no contracts have been signed I won't say where just yet.

There is also another I have recently finished called "Dr. Black, Thoughts & Patents". It is quite long though, so it might have to wait for a complete Dr. Black collection to see the light of day.

I should probably at some point compile a collection of Dr. Black material that I am working on, stuff that is in progress.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:28 am:   

Some kind of collection of Dr Black stories would be fantastic. It seems like a logical step to bring the stories together under one roof. Hope to see that happen.

Dr Black surely merits a cult following if he doesn't have one already. He's a great character. And the prose style is a real pleasure. Very much looking forward to reading more and glad to hear there's more on the way.

Thanks for the info.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:12 am:   

Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm. He does have a cult following. But as in many cults, the following is by necessity rather small. Part of the reason is that, aside from Leviathan 3, all the print runs were quite small.

Iím sure there will be a collection at some point. It is just a matter of things clicking.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:48 am:   

My story Red-Haired Man in a Sweater (from the private papers of Dr. Black) has just been published in Heliotrope: http://www.heliotropemag.com/Issue03/

It is a strong issue. The complete TOC is as follows:

Editorial:

Dreaming Metropolis - Jay Tomio
Fiction:

Red-Haired Man in a Sweater by Brendan Connell
Moon at the Starry Diner by Tina Connolly
He Angles, She Refracts by Rob Vagle

Poetry:

The Witch by Theodora Goss

Articles/Columns:

The Anatomy of "Sleep" by Jeffrey Ford
Plus ca Change by Michael Moorcock
The Shadow Cabinet by Jeff Vandermeer

Previews/Exclusive Excerpts:

Once Were Cops by Ken Bruen
Grease Monkey Book 2 by Tim Eldred
Fablewood edited by William Ward

Also, another Dr. Black offer here: http://brendanconnell.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/special-2-for-1-offer-2/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration