Books I buy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Connell, Brendan » Books I buy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brendan
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 01:54 am:   

Here I am going to mention books that I buy.

Recently:

George Meirs: L'Ombra che Uccide (The Shadow that Kills)

This is a novel in his series "The Adventures of William Tharps, the Celebrated English Detective."

I have no idea what the original French title is.

Unfortunately, I do not believe anything by Meirs has been translated into English.

Emilio Salgari: Straordinarie Avventure di Testa di Pietra (The Amazing Adventures of Rockhead)

Salgari was amazingly popular in Italy. Essentially he was a sort of Italian Jules Verne.

The only book of his that I know has been translated into English is Sandokan: The Tigers of Mompracem. I cannot vouch for the quality of this book though.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:50 am:   

I also recently bought a bunch of books by Michel Zevaco. This author is very cool. Unfortunately he also is not in English.

These are all adventures sort of like the Three Musketeers, though there are often supernatural elements.

Some of the titles I recently bought:

L'Eopea D'Amore (Epic of Love)
Pardaillan: La Tigre in agguato (The Ambushed Tiger)
Pardaillan: La Fausta
Il Figlio di Pardaillan (The Son of Pardaillan)
Il Figlio di Pardaillan: I Milioni di Fausta
Il Figlio di Pardaillan: Trame ed Agguati (Schemes and Ambushes)
I Misteri della Torre di Nesle (The Mysteries of Nesle Tower)
La Strega (The Witch)
Nel Baratro (The Abyss)
Espiazione (Atonement)

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

Two Fantomas novels purchased:

L'Agente Segreto by Pierre Souvestre and Marcel Allain (an Italian edition of the book which in Enlish as avaiable - or not - as "A Nest Of Spies").

The Lord of Terror by Marcel Allain. This book is very cool as it is the first of the Fantomas novels Allain wrote by himself. It is a translation of "Fantômas est-il ressuscité?" and is number 33 in the series of 43 novels.

Brendan
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:06 am:   

Acquired:

While in Florence I bought two beautiful large format books by Emile Richebourg:

Il Figlio del Sobborg (Son of the Suburbs)

and

I Milioni del Signor Joramie (Mr. Joramie's Millions)

These are basically fast-paced soap-opera style adventures.

Richebourg was a woman writer who wrote under a pseudonym. Once again it seems that none of her work, as far as I know, has been translated into English.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 01:58 am:   

An interesting book:

Jules Hoche: Il Segreto dei Paterson (Paterson's Secret)

I am not exactly sure who this author is. I assume he is French, though the central character in this novel appears to be American. It is part of Sonzogno's series called "Racconti Misteriosi" (Mysterious Stories).

Basically it is a lost fantastic novel from the early 1900's.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:58 am:   

J.H. Rosny: Il Testamento Rubato

As far as I know this book does not exist in English.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Edouard Rod - Les Knie et autres nouvelles

This is a naturalist Swiss writer. I know there are books of his in English, though I don't, unfortunately, own any of them.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

Some books by Xavier de Montépin I have recently purchased:

1) Trionfo d'Amore
2) I Delitti di Bagnolet (the crimes of Bagnolet)
3) Rigolo
4) La Portatrice di Pane (La Porteuse de pain)

None of his works have been translated into English, but the last named title was made into a film (in French) which I think is available subtitled in English as "The Bread Peddler"

There are some other films from his books two (such as the silent Cab No.13)

Brendan
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

Claude Farrere: The Battle

Brendan
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 02:38 am:   

Amédée Achard - Cappa e Spada (La cape et l'épée)

Amédée Achard - Il Vello d'oro

These are two books I bought; swashbuckling adventures in the same style as Dumas.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:04 am:   

Catulle Mendes - Le figlie di quelle signore (The Daughters of those Men)

This book cost me a pretty penny - considering the condition. It is a paperback that is almost falling apart. I suppose the price reflects the slightly risque photos inside: turn of the (last) century nudes.

The stories in this book are absolutely top-notch though. I have only read the first 70 pgs. but am very pleased. It is a shame that Mendes is so hard to come by in English.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:57 am:   

Two new (well, used) books I bought yesterday:

Ponson du Terrail: Rocambole - La Vendetta di Baccarat (Baccarat's Revenge)

Emilio Salgari - Le due Tigri (The Two Tigers)

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 09:41 am:   

A bunch of Gaston Leroux books, all in Italian:

Il Figlio di Tre Padri (The Son With Three Fathers)

Il Figlio di Due Razze (The Son of Two Races)

Sangue Sulla Neva (Blood on the Snow)

L'Automata Insanguinato (The Machine Which Kills)

Il Delitto di Rouletabille (Roulatabille's Crime)

Il Coplp di Stato di Chéri-Bibi

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:02 am:   

Yesterday bought two books:

A book of short stories by Pirandello

and:

Alfred Assollant: Aventures merveilleuses mais authentiques du Captain Corcoran (The Marvelous but Authentic Adventures of Captain Corcoran)

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   

A new book I got yesterday:

Edoardo Calandra: La Buffera

another feuilleton

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:44 am:   

How does the Allain Fantomas book compare to the ones he wrote with Souvestre? I have a few Fantomas titles but they're all the earlier collaborations.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

Hi Gabriel -

Well, all the Fantomas books are, essentially trash. So the ones Allain wrote by himself are about the same level :-) !

No - seriously, they are good. Unfortunately I think only three of his Fantomas books are in English (the one I mentioned, plus Juve in the Dock, The Revenge of Fantomas, and Bullydog and Rats) - even though he wrote 10, for a total of 43 Fantomas books.

He also wrote a bunch of other books including a series called Fatala, which is a sort of female equivalent of Fantomas. There is also the Tigris series, and another series of 12 Miss Teria novels.

It is quite sad that most of this stuff is not available in English, and the stuff that is is way overpriced. But if you can read French, Italian or Spanish, you should be able to get a hold of them!

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

Oh - as far as compare - Allain by himself, to me at least, seems a bit more surreal.

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

I think the first seven or so of the original Allain/Souvestre run made it into English as well as the five that Allain did. I do look for the remainder in Spanish when I can. They're not that much easier to find, although they're certainly cheaper, considering that the English language hardcovers from back then can go for $100 and up.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   

Yes, the first two in English can usually be found for quite cheap. After that you are lucky to pay anything less than 50. Normally it is from 100 to 500.

I read a lot in Italian, and most can be found for around 10 dollars a shot.

Maybe they were not all translated into Spanish? I would sort of think they would be though.

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Well, the first two volumes had the benefit of being reprinted not that long ago. The publisher even managed to get John Ashbery to pen an intro to the first one. It's unfortunate the reprints never continued. Of course, even for the first two volumes if you feel like getting the original translations you're in different territory:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=377&item=4537944403&rd=1& ssPageName=WD1V

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

In my opinion these prices are too much. Anything above 60 bucks is too expensive for one of these books. The last one I got I paid 10 Euros for.

David White
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

Hi. I just happened to stumble upon this page while doing a websearch for "Revenge of Fantomas." I'm a Fantomas collector and am trying to complete my collection of the English editions. If anyone has a copy of "Revenge of Fantomas" or "Fantomas of Berlin" that they'd like to let go of, feel free to contact me.

I think the novels are terrific, although am less enthused by the ones that Allain wrote by himself. They are less sinister and complex - more of a comic book/pulp style. I'd highly recommend the first six by Allain and Souvestre, though. Each volume is better than the last. LONG ARM OF FANTOMAS is some kind of cynical, chaotic masterpiece.

David

GabrielM
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   

>>LONG ARM OF FANTOMAS is some kind of cynical, chaotic masterpiece.

I only recently obtained this one and haven't read it yet. Looking forward to it, based on that observation.

David White
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   

If you have A ROYAL PRISONER, it makes for a good set up to LONG ARM. It's a quick read (the English version is heavily edited, I suspect) and is more comedic in tone. What impresses me about LONG ARM (and I'll try not to give anything away here) is it's sadism. The novel's raison d'etre is the suffering of the innocent. The heroes, Juve and Fandor, are in the novel far less than the previous ones. The book begins with Juve in prison and Fandor on the run from the law. The silent film version is good, but plays like a cliff notes version of the novel. I suspect that this was the book in which Souvestre and Allain found their voice for the rest of the series. It's goal is to shock and disturb and it's very successful. The next book, HANGED MAN OF LONDON, was translated as SLIPPERY AS SIN. It's also an excellent novel, but the story literally does not resolve by the book's end, and the following book DAUGHTER OF FANTOMAS has never been translated.

David

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   

>>If you have A ROYAL PRISONER, it makes for a good set up to LONG ARM.

I don't, alas, but I'm sure one will turn up someday. It's unfortunate only seven titles of the original run were translated.

There's a new small press called Black Coat that's been doing some good work translating French decadent and pulp writers into English. They put out two very nice volumes of Villiers de l'Isle Adam's stories translated by Stableford. Also Paul Feval's vampire novels, again by Stableford. I've suggested to them translating the remaining Fantomas novels but I didn't detect much interest. Still, if other readers write into them perhaps they'll take the idea more seriously.

David White
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

I've been in contact with them as well. Actually, I'm working on a novel called FANTOMAS IN AMERICA for them. It's loosely based on an American movie serial of Fantomas released in 1920, which was subsequently lost. I came across an old press book a couple of years ago, and am using plot information and characters from that to spin off a new novel.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Part of the problem is that, unlike Villiers and Paul Feval, the Fantomas novels are not in public domain. So, basically, one needs to acquire the rights to make a translation.

The real tragedy is that not a single book of Ponson du Terrail exists in English. And his stuff is entirely in the public domain.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

>>Actually, I'm working on a novel called FANTOMAS IN AMERICA for them.

I remember seeing that on their site, I hadn't connected the name. Good luck with the novel.

>>The real tragedy is that not a single book of Ponson du Terrail exists in English. And his stuff is entirely in the public domain.

Oddly, Black Coat is issuing the text of a play featuring Rocambole (although not by PdT), but I don't recall any sign they would be issuing the actual Rocambole novels.

David White
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

I'd love to read the Rocambole novels as well, not to mention the Zigomar stories, which were also a precursor to Fantomas.

Black Coat has published a book called John Devil, that sounds wonderful, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Has anyone read the Dr. Nikola novels by Guy Boothby? I just completed the first one and thought it was terrific. Anxious to read all five books in the series.

Brendan
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

Yes, I saw the Rocambole play. I am not sure what it is about. Part of the charm of the original series though is that the characters evolve over thousands of pages (there are 42 novels in the series of around 400 or 500 pages each).

Stylistically, Ponson du Terrail is one of the best pulp writers.

Yes, I like Guy Boothby. Usually his stuff can be bought pretty cheap.

Who wrote Zigomar?

David White
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Zigomar was created by Leon Sazie, and published in Le Matin in 1909, then in his own pulp in 1913 (I think). He was a master criminal in the Fantomas mold (or, rathter, Fantomas was a master criminal in the Zigomar mold) and even hit the movie screen a few years before Fantomas did.

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

I think I have something somewhere by Sazie. I will have to look though my books.

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

I checked and I only have ZAZIE DANS LE METRO. :-)

David White
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 09:31 am:   

You know, I'd love to find some good, French comic-books based on these wonderful characters - particularly Fantomas and Lupin. Do any of you know where I can find some? I have some of the more recent ones, from the 90's, and I have a couple dozen of the Fantomas comic books from Mexico, but I'd love to find some pre-1970 comics.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

No, I only know the Fantomas Mexico comics, which were in fact my introduction to the character.

And as far as other media, I only know of Feuillade's Fantomas serial, which I've never seen. I own and love LES VAMPIRES, however, which I'm told may be truer in spirit to the Fantomas novels than the actual Fantomas serial.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

There is a web site called http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com

You might look around there.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   

Went to City Lights in San Francisco yesterday and picked up the following titles:

Jean Ray: Malpertuis
Gusav Meyrink: The Angel of the West Window
Gustav Meyrink: The Green Face
Stendhal: The Life of Henry Brulard

Brendan
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

two more:

Jules Sandeau: Madelaine

Victorien Sardou: Madame Sans-Gene

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   

Some books I bought today:

E. W. Hornung: The Shadow of the Rope

I actually bought this with a Raffles book, but I think I have already read the material in the latter. I am not sure what this book is about, but I am fond of Hornung.

Marie Corelli: Wormwood

Lord Dunsay: If

This last is a play.

GabrielM
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   

I recently picked up the Meyrink. Looking forward to it, although there's a new translation of THE GOLEM by Mike Mitchell I might tackle first.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:37 am:   

Which Meyrink?

Mike Mitchell is a good translator...

The version I read was an older one.

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

The one you mentioned above, THE GREEN FACE.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

Ah, ok. I have not read it yet. According to the cover it is one of his best, so we will see. It is certainly a lot shorter than the other I bought so I will probably read it first.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   

More new books:

Paul Feval: Jesuits

Jules Claretie: Prince Zilah

Desider Kostolanyi: The Bloody Poet

This last book should be good. It is a novel about Nero by a very excellent Hungarian writer (the book was originally in German though, I think). He has another book in English called "Skylark" which is great. Nothing fantastic in it, but it has wonderful descriptions in a very humorous, somewhat decadent manner.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

Picked up a nice old copy of this book for 1 dollar:

Marie Corelli - Wormwood

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 04:27 am:   

For the past 6 months or so I have been collecting books by a woman called Carolina Invernizio. She was from Florence, and to some degree took after Ponson du Terrail and Xavier de Montépin.

Some of the books I have gotten:

L'Albergo del delitto (Crime Hotel)
La figlia del barbiere (The Barber's Daughter)
La Sepolta viva (Buried Alive)
Il Figlio del mistero (Son of Mystery)
La figlia del mendicante (The Beggar's Daughter)
Il Treno della morte (The Train of Death)
Il delitto della contessa (The Crime of the Countess)
L'Aviatore (The Aviator)

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:49 am:   

Another new book:

Jules Renard: The Sponger

David White
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 01:55 pm:   

Brendan-

You mention earlier in this thread that the Fantomas books are not in the public domain. I've been searching the US copyright database, as well as copyright renewals, and can't find any copyright info for the early English translations. How do you know they're not in the public domain. Is it possible that any new translations would be subject to copyright but the old ones would not?

David

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

David -

Well, I am not 100 percent sure about copyright law. I have heard two different versions:

1) The book needs to be at least x number of years old (I think it is 70 or something), or be printed before 1930...Something of the sort.

2) The author needs to be dead for at least x number of years (again I think the no. is 60 or 70).

Now, I am not sure if these rules need to both apply, or just one of them, before a book can go into public domain. All of the Fantomas books translated into English were published before the 30's I believe. However, Marcel Allain lived until 1970. SO, if as I suspect the author needs to have been dead for a longer time, none of the books are in public domain. The reason why I think this is probably true, is that his grandchildren (did he have any?) are probably still alive...and it is not unlikely that they would be the copyright holders.

Like I said though, I am not an expert. Still, I have worked a bit with this sort of thing, and it is my understanding.

If you did want to republish one of the books though, or do something of the sort, it is very possible that you could gain permission from whoever the copyright holder is.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   

As far as copyright renewals...I dont think they need to be renewed, or even under actual copyright. For instance, if I write something, even if I dont actually go to the copyright office, I still hold the copyright.

David White
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   

Yeah, it's confusing. The Fantomas novels I have were all published before 1930 and, with the exception of two of them, were never reprinted. If these were English novels by an American author, they would definitely be the in public domain. It's the fact that they are translations of foreign material that has me questioning it. In France, I'm pretty sure that Fayard still owns the rights to the novels. Their copyright laws stipulate that nothing goes into the public domain until 70 years after the author's death. It's possible that the pre-1930 translations are in the public domain, but any *new* translations of the books wouldn't be possible without getting the English rights from the license holder.

In any case, it's confusing as hell!

On an interesting and exciting note, though, I tracked down all four parts of a magazine serial by Marcel Allain that was published in FLYNNS DETECTIVE WEEKLY in 1927, and never collected as a novel. It's not a Fantomas book - the title is WOMAN OF PREY - but it's one of the books that I'd like to make available to a larger audience interested in that sort of thing.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   

It sounds very interesting the Flynns Detective Weekly...

For the Fantomas novels: I guess it boils down to, yes, maybe the translations are in public domain, but since they still come from the original texts . . . what is the deal?

I was recently putting together a book of short stories--most of the stuff translated from other languages etc. There was one story where the author's work did not fall into public domain. For this one story I simply contacted the author's grandson, who is the exectutor to his estate, and asked permission. This was granted, though a small portion of the proceeds from the book will go to the estate.

I think it is quite do-able to republish this stuff. You just might need to gain permission. If you did it without permission chances are no one would call you on it...But it might be best to be on the safe side.

Brendan
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

Just got a new book by Ponson du Terrail:

Rocambole: Le Tragedie del matrimonio

It is the 21st book in the Rocambole series of 33 books (not including the sequels by Constant Guéroult etc.)

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:21 am:   

Emilia Pardo Bazan: Secret of the Yew Tree

Has any one ever read her? She was a good "naturalist" Spanish writer.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

Gabriele D'Annunzio - L'Innocente

A somewhat decadent Italian writer . . .

Brendan
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:29 am:   

Villiers de L'isle Adam - The Revolt and The Escape

This is a thin book containing two plays. I feel lucky to have gotten it though, as it is hard to come by.

Brendan
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:09 am:   

A number of new books by Ponson du Terrail, in his series of Historical Romances:

La Bella Argentiera - (The Pretty Silversmith)

La Favorita del Re Di Navarra

Gli Amori della Bella Nancy - (The Loves of Pretty Nancy)

Le Avventure del Fante di Fiori - (The Adventures of the Jack of Clubs)

La Notte di San Bartolomeo - (St. Bartholomew's Night)

La Regina delle Barricate - (The Queen of Barricades)

Il Bel Galaor

La Seconda Gioventu' Di Re Enrico - (King Henry's Second Youth)

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

Just got another Claude Farrere book:

Fashions in Marriage

Brendan
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:05 pm:   

Henry Ceard: A Lovely Day (A hard book to find!)

Jules Lermina: Il figlio di Monte Cristo (The Son of Monte Cristo)

This last is very cool. A Monte Cristo pastiche.

Brendan
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   

Catulle Mendes: Number 51 and Other Stories

Brendan
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:26 am:   

Ponson du Terrail - Rosignol

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:11 am:   

Gustave le Rouge: La Valle della desperazione (The Valley of Desperation)

I am happy to have bought this book, as books by Gustave le Rouge can be somewhat difficult to get a hold of.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 02:03 am:   

A bunch of new Emilio Salgari books:

Le Pantere di Algeri (The Panthers of Algiers)

Cartagine in fiamme (Carthage in Flames)

La citta' del re lebbroso (The City of the Leper King)

Capitan Tempesta (Captain Tempest)

I predoni del Sahara (The Marauders of the Sahara)

Il treno volante (The Flying Train)

Il Sotterraneo della morte (The Dungeon of Death)

Brendan
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:25 am:   

Charles Louis Philippe - Marie Donadieu

Brendan
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:07 am:   

I just got some nice Italian editions of Paul Feval fils and M. Lassez. These can all be found in English, but they are usually pretty expensive.

D'Artagnan contro Cyrano di Bergac (this is the name of the series):

L'Eredita di Buckingham (The Heir to Buckingham)

Martirio di Regina (A Martyr to the Queen)

Il Segreto della Bastiglia (Secret of the Bastille)

Il Cavalier Mistero (The Mysterious Cavalier)

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:25 am:   

Ponson du Terrail:

Il Capitano dei Penitenti Neri (The Captain of the Black Penitants)

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 04:16 am:   

Also two new books by Carolina Invernizio:

La Maschera bianca (The White Mask)

La Trovatella di Milano (The Orphan of Milan)

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:03 am:   

Georges Courteline: L'Allegro squadrone (The Merry Squadron)

Fortune du Boisgobey: Dov'e' la donna? (Where is the Woman)

This latter is a very nice 1879 edition...

Brendan
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:17 am:   

Another George Meirs book: La Macchia di Sangue (The Spot of Blood), from the series "The Adventures of William Tharps, the Celebrated English Detective."

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 06:54 am:   

Got two new books today:

Huysmans: The Crowds of Lourdes

Furtune' de Boisgobey: The Angel of the Chimes

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   

Lots of new (old) books:

Alphonse Karr - Una storia inverosimile

Leon Sazie - Vincenza

Paul Bourget - Uno Scrupolo (A scruple)

Paul Bourget - Salvataggio

Rene Thevenin - L'auto fantasma

Jean de la Hire - Lucifero

Jean de la Hire - I tre Boy Scouts - L'ultima deportato

Jean de la Hire - I tre Boy Scouts - Il Tesoro dei forzati

Leon Groc - La rivlta delle pietre

Paul feval - La Cosacca

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 02:27 am:   

More books, including a number I have been trying to get hold of for a while now:

Paul d’Ivoi:

Il Pozzo del Moro
L’Obice di Cristallo (The Crystal Howitzer)
Il Nilo Insanguinato (Bloody Nile)

Xavier de Montepin:

Il Medico del poveri (The Doctor of the Poor)

Louise Boussenard:

Tom il Dominatore
Il Zuavo di Malicoff

Constant Gueroult:

Il Processo di via Del Tempio
La Banda di Fifi Vollard

Gorge Sand:

Consuelo
La Contessa di Rudolfstadt

The Gueroult books and the d’Ivoi books I am particularly happy to have found, as they are both hard to get a hold of. Gueroult is the author who finished the Rocambole series of Terrail after the later died.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 01:41 am:   

Another book by Ponson du Terrail: Le Miserie di Londra.

I must say though, that I am starting to get confused with these Rocambole books, as the editions often combine the originals in odd ways: different titles etc. It is becoming hard to figure out what exactly I am missing in the series.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 01:17 am:   

More feuilletons:

Paul Feval: Il Gobbo Misterioso (The Mysterious Hunchback)

Michel Zevaco: I Borgia

Zevaco: Ala di morte

Zevaco: Il Capitano

Zevaco: Il Buffone del Re (the King's Buffoon)

Zevaco: La corte dei miracoli (the court of miracles)

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 01:07 am:   

More:

Marcel Idiers: Il cofanetto misterioso (The Mysterious Casket)

L'Uomo dalla testa di cane (the man with the head of a dog)

Il Club degli invincibili

La busta grigia

Pier Agay: Il negrieri del sud

Gustave le Rouge: Il sottomarino "Giulio Verne"

These are more or less an Italian version of a French series, seen here: http://collectiondaventures.monsite.wanadoo.fr/page1.html

Though the Italian version doesn't have as many of the authors. Some of these were releaesed in several issues. At the end of one of the Gustave Le Rouge stories is also a story by Arnould Galopin.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:34 am:   

Francesco Matriani - Emma

Edmond About - I matrimoni di Parigi

Erminia Bazzocchi - Ghirlanda Insanguinata (Bloody Garland)

Xavier de Montepin - I Buontemponi de Parigi

Mastriani and Bazzocchi were both Italian feuilletonists. Mastriani, unlike most of these, was a very good writer. Like almost all the feuilletonists, he has never been translated into English.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 09:44 am:   

Some new acquisitions:

Felicien Champsaur - Orge Latine (Latin Orgies)...a decadent novel...

P. Souvestre e M. Allain: Fantomas, La Vespa Rossa (the Red Wasp)...this is no. 19 in the series.

Ponson du Terrail:

La Resurezzione di Rocambole

(This is a giant volume containing the following adventures:

Il Bagno di Talone (The Penitentiary Of Toulon)

La Orfanelle (The Two Orphans)

Maddelena

Redenzione (Redemption)

La Vendetta di Wasilika (Wasilika's Revenge)

These last two correspond to Le Souterrain in French.)

L'Ultima Parola di Rocambole (Rocambole's Last Word)

(This is a giant volume containing the following adventures:

Gli Strangolatori (The Stranglers)

I Millioni della zingara (The Gipsy's Millions)

La Bella Giardiniera (The Beautiful Gardener)

Una Dramma nell’India (A Drama in India)

La verita intorno’ Rocambole (The Truth About Rocambole)

I also got all the issues of Il giro del Mondo in Sottomarino (Around the World in a Submarine) by Arnould Galopin…..I have 2 through 98….Missing no. 1, but oh well. This is sort of Jules Verne take off…

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:37 am:   

Another book to add on to my Ponson du Terrail collection:

Un Paggio di Louis XIV (A Page of Louis XIV)

A nice 1858 edition.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:14 am:   

Tons of new books since last post (not that anyone cares), including 50 I bought yesterday, which included:

Joseph Méry - La guerra di Nizam (The Nizam War) [nothing by this author in English]

Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer - Memorie d'un Tacchino (Memoirs of a Turkey)

[Some of his short stories are in English, but I don't think this is]

Ion Luca Caragiale - Giustizia (Justice)

[another author neglected in English]

Luis Coloma - Gian Miseria (John Poverty)

[this one exists in English]

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration