Dr. Black Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Connell, Brendan » Dr. Black « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Brendan has a marvelous long story, "Dr. Black in Rome," in Album Zutique #1. I was wondering how the Dr. Black stories came about. Care to tell us?

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:10 am:   

Brendan, can you give us a list of all the Dr. Black stories published to date and where they can be found? Are there more to come?

Brendan
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:55 am:   

Hi Jeff,

How did the Dr. Black stories come about? Probably from overdosing on old French authors: de Vigny, Rachilde, Balzac, Nodier, Nerval etc. and also for a long time being interested in other, more modern, schools of writing . . . Of course the Rome story uses forms and references much older.

Hi Mike,

Well, so far there are five stories. Two of them unfortunately is on an old hard-drive in storage somewhere in NJ. Those two were prototypes. I believe one of them has to do a friendship Dr. Black had with Orson Welles (the two have a lot in common). Of the other three, one is in Leviathan 3, one is coming out in Album Zutique and the third is currently being looked at by someone else. – Aside from those though, there are a few others in the works . . .

Brendan

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:15 am:   

Brendan,

What I like about the Dr. Black stories is that there's a definite sense that they exist in the tradition of something, but they are so erudite and creative, and there are so many influences converging and evolving, that you've really done something new. I'm glad we'll see more.

Mike

Brendan
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

Thanks Mike,

Yes, well—I think there is also a whole tradition of eccentric Dr. and professor stories. The upcoming story in Album Zutique has an absurd amount of stuff packed into it. Probably too much for most people. Still, I can only hope that what I find interesting others will as well.

Regards,

Brendan

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   

Hello, Brendan.

I too muchly enjoyed "A Season with Doctor Black". And now it is a story that's appeared in an anthology that's won the World Fantasy Award. Congratulations. Jeff and Forrest and Michael Cisco and I were there at the banquet when that award was announced. Big fun.

I also like "Flora Metamorphosis Syndrome". A lovely disease, its origins lost in the mists of legend.

I'd like to send you a chapbook of my drawings called Common Ectoids of Arizona, but I don't know your street address. Could you possibly e-mail me at stepanchapman@hotmail.com and divulge that information?

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:48 am:   

Hi Stepan,

Congratulations to you too!

I also enjoyed your "State Secrets of Aphasia", though I have not yet had a chance to read your piece in Lambshead, because I have not received a copy yet . . . We have been in a number of anthologies together now it seems!

Yes, I will divulge my address in a bit, after I get back from a quick book run to Como.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration